Driving in France & Belgium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EDZ649

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E55 AMG
My neighbour has asked me to take him over to Belgium next week to collect his new toy, a 1965 MKI Lotus Cortina.

I think I have read somewhere recently that when driving in France you need to have a high visibility jacket with you and spare bulbs? I have also read that it is a good idea to hang the jacket over the back of your seat so the Police can see it rather than making them pull you over.

Can anyone confirm this please?

All you need to know FRANCE BELGIUM

In Belgium be aware that overtaking cars pull in very quickly but don't take it as being cut up as that's the norm.

When I drove here, through France, Switzerland and Italy I had to have hi-vis, bulbs and a fire extinguisher (Greece only), I bought all the stuff from Halfords. I think they do a kit with everything in it.

The most useful things I have found to take are high-visibility eyes...;)

I'll get my (hi-vis) jacket....

One thing to remember is that the vest must be in the cabin, and not in the spare wheel well for instance.

I m u s t t y p e f a s t e r

Dont get caught speeding in Belgium as your car will be impounded (motorways only issue) if you fail to pay the fine on time your car will be sold. :dk:

Others have already answered the Hi-Viz & bulbs questions, but something else worth noting is that the use of cruise control is banned on certain Belgian motorways - look for signs - with transgression rewarded by an on-the-spot fine. Speed traps are also very common on the motorways and normally well hidden.

Others have already answered the Hi-Viz & bulbs questions, but something else worth noting is that the use of cruise control is banned on certain Belgian motorways - look for signs - with transgression rewarded by an on-the-spot fine. Speed traps are also very common on the motorways and normally well hidden.

how do they know if youre using cruise control?

the use of cruise control is banned on certain Belgian motorways - look for signs - with transgression rewarded by an on-the-spot fine.

What is the reason for cruise control being banned? Just to get easy money from fines? Is it the same for Distronic Plus? :confused:

how do they know if youre using cruise control?

A constant speed being maintained over a set distance, a change of gradient would catch out most drivers.

What about the use of the speed restrictor function, means you can play around with the throttle (keeps the feet comfy) and not exceed a certain speed. (set it to 70mph on the A90 today).

One thing to remember is that the vest must be in the cabin, and not in the spare wheel well for instance.

I m u s t t y p e f a s t e r

A repeated message was very useful. I might not have believed this from the first message. :)

Do you still have to display a GB sign on the rear of your vehicle.
Maybe worth checking your insurance I know I have to notify mine before going then they cover the car fully comp

Do you still have to display a GB sign on the rear of your vehicle.
Maybe worth checking your insurance I know I have to notify mine before going then they cover the car fully comp

Only if you haven't got the euro style number plates fitted. Already checked the insurance:)

something else worth noting is that the use of cruise control is banned on certain Belgian motorways - look for signs - with transgression rewarded by an on-the-spot fine.
Never knew that - we drive through Belgium on the way to Germany and back and I always use cruise control!

What do the signs say??

I usually go to Germany twice a month or so and I've literally never had any of this stuff. I guess most of my cars tend to have a warning triangle in them and what not. Been stopped by German, French, Dutch and Luxembourg Police and they have never even cared to look or ask about the jackets, spare bulb, etc. They usually just stop ask me if the car is mine and oddly the German police always ask me if the car has any faults. I guess to make sure the car is worthy and safe enough to be on the road?

I've often wondered by some of the roads through Belgium it's illegal to use cruise control. I've always used it and never had a problem.

Enjoy your drive over there.

Myself and Mrs. Gaz have been thinking of doing a summer driving holiday in Europe this year as we now have a left-hooker on the fleet.

This has been a good reminder to check the legal requirements before we go - knowing me, I'd just have chucked the luggage in the boot and set off :eek:.

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom