Driving in France: Mobilo or Mercedes-Benz Service24h cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
This evening I called Mobilo to check that our car is covered by Mobilo or Mercedes-Benz Service24h whilst travelling in Europe.

The lady I spoke to said two things that concerned me, and I've not found anything useful on either MercedesMe portal or the Mercedes website which reassures me (see below).

Has anyone experienced Mobilo or Mercedes-Benz Service24h assistance whilst travelling in France, or have a better source of information?

1. Services differ when in France compared to the UK: Woolly examples were that prices for repairs may differ, and that there may not be cover 24h or at lunch time - will Mercedes (or their agent) still attend, just slowly?

2. It's illegal for Mercedes to recover at the roadside on the motorway (presumably privately owned toll roads), and so vehicles must first be towed off the motorway - do Mercedes pick up the cost of recovery?

Thank you in advance!

Re #2: I've checked the Owners Handbook which came with the Mercedes Warranty, and it confirms that Mobilo will inform you how to reclaim costs incurred for recovery from the Autoroute when you call them (after you've been recovered from the Autoroute).

Any thoughts on #1, what the difference actually are, whether you will actually be recovered 24h, even if it's slowly?

Many years ago, I ran hydropneumatic Citroens. Others who did so would not venture out without a comprehensive spares kit. I carried a fan belt, spare wheel, a bulb kit and a jack. If I thought it was likely to break down I wouldn't go.
I have the same attitude to the light aircraft I fly.
If you are concerned that the car isn't up to it, don't go.
If you are worried about breaking down on the autoroute, use the Routes Nationals.
The time saved is surprisingly little and the cost saving pays for a good lunch in a village that you would otherwise have driven by.

I'm pretty sure that the wooliness will be the French... If it's lunchtime their mechanics won't work.... If it's Sunday...... etc.

Our experience with a different breakdown organisation, was that out of hours the car was recovered and there were simply no mechanics available to work between Sat eve and Monday morning...

The recovery truck was prompt.... and the organisation was competent at arranging onward travel.

I'm pretty sure that the wooliness will be the French... If it's lunchtime their mechanics won't work.... If it's Sunday...... etc.

Our experience with a different breakdown organisation, was that out of hours the car was recovered and there were simply no mechanics available to work between Sat eve and Monday morning...

The recovery truck was prompt.... and the organisation was competent at arranging onward travel.

Thanks David, that's what I'm hoping, it will be recovered but probably not repaired until the dealership opens, although that's what happens in the UK in my experience.

Hopefully I'll never find out! Her wooliness concerned me though, she used lots of words to say very little, albeit in a lovely friendly way!

If you are concerned that the car isn't up to it, don't go.
If you are worried about breaking down on the autoroute, use the Routes Nationals.
The time saved is surprisingly little and the cost saving pays for a good lunch in a village that you would otherwise have driven by.

Sound advice, thank you Tron.

I had an accident while driving through France about 8 years ago on a Sunday afternoon in December when there had been snow for many days in the UK and France and I couldn't drive my car. I phoned my insurance company and wasn't very happy to be told that whilst the car was covered by them while I was abroad it was my responsibility to get the car recovered and repaired. I phoned Mobilo and spoke to their agent Mondial Assistance and they arranged recovery of my vehicle very quickly and took me to a hotel which was covered for 4 days by MB. The recovery company took my car to their compound and then on the following Tuesday took my car to the Main MB dealer in Rouen. They would have taken the car the next day but because or the atrocious weather conditions the recovery companies were stretched to their limits.
I cannot speak highly enough of the help I received from Mondial and the service I received from the dealer in Rouen who had his own body repair workshop and especially as Christmas day was on the following Saturday.
This is the reason why I make sure I keep up the Main Dealer Service History, but I am lucky as I get it serviced in Spain where you would not believe the labour rate they charge.
The help I didn't get from LV Insurance was an eye opener as while I didn't expect them to have staff in France I did expect them to have reciprocal agreements with foreign Insurance companies.

Bobby with all your torque can you not tow another motor along in case of a breakdown?

I had an accident while driving through France about 8 years ago on a Sunday afternoon in December when there had been snow for many days in the UK and France and I couldn't drive my car. I phoned my insurance company and wasn't very happy to be told that whilst the car was covered by them while I was abroad it was my responsibility to get the car recovered and repaired. I phoned Mobilo and spoke to their agent Mondial Assistance and they arranged recovery of my vehicle very quickly and took me to a hotel which was covered for 4 days by MB. The recovery company took my car to their compound and then on the following Tuesday took my car to the Main MB dealer in Rouen. They would have taken the car the next day but because or the atrocious weather conditions the recovery companies were stretched to their limits.
I cannot speak highly enough of the help I received from Mondial and the service I received from the dealer in Rouen who had his own body repair workshop and especially as Christmas day was on the following Saturday.
This is the reason why I make sure I keep up the Main Dealer Service History, but I am lucky as I get it serviced in Spain where you would not believe the labour rate they charge.
The help I didn't get from LV Insurance was an eye opener as while I didn't expect them to have staff in France I did expect them to have reciprocal agreements with foreign Insurance companies.

When I took out European cover with my insurer (Aviva) they said that breakdown and recovery cover was not included and asked me if I wanted to purchase it separately, which I did. This was for the W203 and for the Kia. The W204 is still covered by Mobilo for now (at least until the next service).

Thank you for posting. Sounds like Mercedes/Mondial provided first class service.

I'm intrigued about service costs in Spain! Are there any implications on UK Mobilo or warranty?

I am driving to Germany soon, and also have Mobilo but have also taken additional cover for a few days with the RAC......doesn't cost much for a few days. (Note: I am not an RAC member but most of the UK Breakdown services provide temporary cover for Europe).

Just to be safe, I didn't want to rely on Mobilo alone.

Thank you for posting. Sounds like Mercedes/Mondial provided first class service.

I'm intrigued about service costs in Spain! Are there any implications on UK Mobilo or warranty?

I use an approved MB workshop in Spain which is listed on the MB website and this therefore complies with the warranty and maintains Mobilo. They register the service on the MB computer and get the work to be carried from it. Also on the last two services which were within the 3 year warranty period they did the free update of the comand/tomtom maps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom