Driving in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sammo65

Car
CLK 320
Quick questions do I need a green card to drive in France and does my car have the headlight switch to adjust the beam angle or do I need to faff about with sticky plastic? car is (w208 clk320 2001). Got myself some hi vis jackets and spare bulbs and has the red triangle and first aid kit. Am going with no frills LD Lines from portsmouth to Le havre, my son wants to see the ww2 DD sites. Cheers

Check with your insurers - most now include european cover and don't require a seperate Green card, but it's worth a quick call to be sure. Not sure about the headlight adjustment - if it has xenon lights then I'm sure it will have.

No need for a green card. Third party cover is included but not all include comprehensive cover in the EU and most limit the duration of stay. Phone them first or check your policy documents.
Some of the xenons can be adjusted to give a flat beam but its not always easy. Personally I use the sticky delfectors.

Unfortunately IIRC the 208 is just about the only model that does not have the adjusting lever in the xenon light unit...

Hello

I always ring up and get the green card, it covers you over and above third party.

Also check..

You have breakdown (european)
Yellow jackets in door pockets for every passenger of car
Bulb kit / triangle
reflectors for lamps.

Have fun

Rang insurers they said am fully comp here and in France and dont need a green card, they also confirmed that the duration was under 90 days. The checklist is growing, still far less hassle than those experienced during June 1944. Did the WW1 battlefields last year left an imprint on me and my son. Especially Tyne Cot Cemetery.

I did the WW1 battlefields with my brother and my son just over a year ago, a very sobering experience, but one I would recommend to everyone. The most staggering thing though was that despite the horror of it all, Germany went for the replay just 20 years later as though they hadn't learnt anything from the first conflict.

Also been to Ypres for the last post and Tyne Cot, something everyone should do.

Worth (at some point) getting down to Oradour if you can. That will leave a mark.

m.

Don't forget a spare pair of prescription specs if you wear them,that's another legal requirement. Enjoy the trip and try and find time for the Historical Dockyard in Portsmouth, great day out

Yes living in Portsmouth have done the Dockyard, Victory etc, although have avoided going up the spinnaker:). Have 4 days in Normandy been through loads of websites to see the best ww2 sites/museums, also staying in Bayeux so hope to do the tapestry as well.

We're en France now. I just used some gaffer tape on the headlights although mine are not xenon. Not had any probs so far and we've been through Italy and switzerland too

Currently staying the night in Riquewihr, lovely place.

Daz

Still illegal. Beam deflecters are only £3 or £4 on e-bay, why does no-one bother?

Russ

Why is it illegal? Surely the lenses just need correctly masking (which these universal beam deflectors often dont do)

I have an import motorcycle and the MOT man kindly masked my headlight for the MOT using Gaffer tape. The tapes been on for two years now.

Why is it illegal? Surely the lenses just need correctly masking (which these universal beam deflectors often dont do)

I have an import motorcycle and the MOT man kindly masked my headlight for the MOT using Gaffer tape. The tapes been on for two years now.

It can depend on the type of light/lens.

Usually all that is needed is to mask off part of the lens, which used to be very easy to do. Now we have projector lamps and HIDs, it's not guaranteed to be so easy.

Although not the same for everyone, considering the mileage we go abroad each year I'd not have a car that didn't allow for the easy switch backwards and forwards. Ive got so used to it that I pop the bonnet once we've arrived at the port - can even do it in the dark!

It can depend on the type of light/lens.

Usually all that is needed is to mask off part of the lens, which used to be very easy to do. Now we have projector lamps and HIDs, it's not guaranteed to be so easy.

Although not the same for everyone, considering the mileage we go abroad each year I'd not have a car that didn't allow for the easy switch backwards and forwards. Ive got so used to it that I pop the bonnet once we've arrived at the port - can even do it in the dark!

My lights have the necessary marking areas and are not xenon. As long as the beam has been flattened they they are perfectly legal. So far the French, Italians and Swiss don't seem to mind.

Daz

I will check if my lights have markings on the lens (to indicate where to affix the tape) and will just get some deflectors from ebay. I also bought the Blue GB and euro flag stick on emblem for my number plates as I just have the plain number plates and dont want a big GB sticker on my car (whih dont think you need). Shame my CLK just doesnt have a switch to alter beam, hey ho. Looking forwrad to the DDay stuff, cant believe how many museums etc there are.

also staying in Bayeux so hope to do the tapestry as well.
Do make the effort to go and see the tapestry - it's absolutely brilliant :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom