Driving in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do make the effort to go and see the tapestry - it's absolutely brilliant :thumb:

Seconded - but do remember that it's not a tapestry (it's embroidered, not woven) and was probably made in England!

Seconded - but do remember that it's not a tapestry (it's embroidered, not woven) and was probably made in England!

What utter rubbish.......everyone knows it was made in China.....:D

There's one in the eye for harold!

On his horse with his hawk in his hand :D

Sounds like a must so will go see the tapestry.

The Bayeux Tapestry is well worth seeing and all 70+ metres is very well presented. You may want to spend some time trying to make sense of the border scenes if you should get the opportunity to see the work.

Just back from a week in Paris and area so most driving was on motorway or dualled roads. I was surprised by the lack of police presence on the roads, only seeing one rural handheld speed camera trap near La Mer du Sable adventure park close to Senlis. I did notice, however, that my three-year-old satnav was not picking up about 50 percent of the fixed camera sites so a new model (an update with maps is £99) is looking likely for the next trip. Coming back Saturday was a 'jour noir' as the main summer holidays got underway but everyone must have been travelling to the Med.

my three-year-old satnav was not picking up about 50 percent of the fixed camera sites so a new model (an update with maps is £99) is looking likely for the next trip.

The only speed camera database worth having is from pocketgpsworld, updated weekly for free and works with most sat navs, usually costs less than the manufacturers own offering.

Russ

Unfortunately I have a Becker satnav (bought in France) which isn't supported by pocketgpsworld but thanks for the reminder that it might be wise to get one that is supported. I was tending towards Navigon but they are also not fully supported.

davidmi said:
Unfortunately I have a Becker satnav (bought in France) which isn't supported by pocketgpsworld
Take a look at www.scdb.info if you want a speedcam database for your Becker. As good as the pocketgpsworld database is, in my experience the scdb one is better outside the UK and almost as good within it. It's cheaper too.

i dont bother with the headlights when i go to france, i just turn the headlight beam down, but i always carry some tape, just incase i get stopped, anyway who wants to drive at night?. that is for drinking and sleeping... have a great holiday.. bring some wine back.. for your own use only...or the rip of Britain guys will get you at the port.. (customs)

Just got back sailed with LD Lines was half the price of Brittany ferries and was ok for what i wanted ferry out and Fast Cat back. Drove from Le Havre to bayeux where we stayed, the Honfleur bridge is something to behold and drive over. Bayeux lovely town and the tapestry was well worth a visit. Main reason was d day sites and museums which were everywhere and well signposted. Boy loved Pegasus Bridge and the Merville Battery, I got a 2011 DDay museum card for 1 euro which then entitles you to money off other sites in Normandy. American cemetery and the 360 cinema at Arromanche were thought provoking. The CLk performed well and made a change from all the different peugeots, renaults and citroens. Saw about 1 gendarme and 1 speed camera.

Put stickers/ convertors on. It's more fun than arguing with Les Flics. Or, you can try shouting at them and waving your arms about, especially if it's raining and you're in a hurry.

On the A roads they had 130 kph speed limit when sunny/good conditions and below a rainy sign showing drop your max speed to 110 kph.Some of the very minor roads round bayeux were full of pot holes, shame the toll money doesnt also help the minor roads. I can see why people use the toll roads, speed, comfort and directness. Had some superb local cider with my evening meals.

I can see why people use the toll roads, speed, comfort and directness.

Unless of course you're trying to get from Cannes to the other side of Aix on the A8 last Saturday - peage booths seemed to be the cause of long tailbacks, so we got off the A road and went feral. Back roads also slow but much nicer scenery...

Sean

a

Even the "T" express lanes?

Russ

The lot of them - we hit the large peage station just by Aix after over an hour of stop-start traffic. We then spent about 10 minutes in the 'fan' running down to the [20+] booths, with there being no noticeable difference which one we went to. Bummer

Traffic was also very heavy once we'd cleared the peage, hence bailing out of the autoroute

Last edited:
I suppose August is the busiest time of year for the French holidays. I hope the roads are quieter in Sept when we go again. :)

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom