Driving in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Motard

Car
92 250 TD
For those who don't know..........Fuel costs on the French autoroutes are considerably higher than normal service stations. Usually there is a service station within a couple of klms of an autotoute exit and more often than not right alongside. Save yourself some money!

Bob

Thanks for info Bob. I will contact you nearer the date Im down your way, and hopefully arrange our little GTG.

Looking forward to it Paul. Have you chosen your route yet?
Maybe I should have added that French hotels are very cheap and the ones near autoroutes generally have two beds per room, enough for a family with two small children.
During the holiday season it is prudent to begin looking for a hotel about 4pm.

Bob

We are going to drive down during the night, will be on 2030hrs shuttle Thurs 19th June, so all going well should have a trouble free trip down.

Kids will be in pyjamas with a couple of quilts over them, so hopefully it will be a "fight" free drive.

I intend to cruise at aroung 85-90mph. Night driving wont be a problem as I work shifts etc, so I'm used to going from days to nights.

Have you a recomended route?

Paul,

Basically you have two choices. One is the shortest by about 50 miles and the cheapest as there are long sections of free auroroute. The second, my choice, is in my opinion the quickest.
First one....
Paris
Orleans
Clermont Ferrand
Second one.....
Reims
Troyes
Dijon
Lyon

Paris at the time you would hit it would not be a problem, just keep a good eye out for your exit.
If you choose the second option when you get to Lyon you can either drive around it or go straight through it. When I am driving at night I choose the latter.
If you need more detailed instructions get back to me.
If you sit on 90mph all the way I can't see you having any problems. That would be 144kph and the limit is 130 in the dry, when it is wet it lowers to 110kph, 69mph, so go slower if it rains.

Bob

Bob, It was the Dijon / Lyon we went last time. I remember the by pass at Lyon. A friend came back during the day and went through Lyon. Took him hours and a car twanged his boot!

I remember the two speeds. Good idea I reckon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom