Driving in france

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is no law that says you have to use them at all.
The law only states it is an offence to dazzle oncoming traffic, there are many ways to avoid doing this without the need for headlight deflectors.

Again, there is no law that says you must carry a fire extinguisher, only an obscure reference to it being an offence to drive past a car on fire without trying assist the occupants.

Russ
How do you avoid dazzling oncoming drivers without fitting beambenders or using black insulation tape ?

So what would happen if I was pulled over with a xenon out? They'd remove my car? How would I get back to the UK?
Your roadside assistance insurance would either pay to get the light fixed in France or they would recover your car to your home or a garage of your choosing.

You do have European road side recovery insurance don't you...?

How do you avoid dazzling oncoming drivers without fitting beambenders or using black insulation tape ?

Turn them down to the lowest position or some have levers that change the beam pattern. I turn mine down and it doesn't dazzle anyone, but in their normal setting with deflectors you still get flashed.

rUSS

on mine there are small levers inside the headlights which mask off the dazzling area

Petrol Pete said:
AND the speed limit differs from one motorway to another. I seem to remember toll paid motorways have a higher speed limit to non toll motorways.

No. Generally pretty well posted anyway.

While there is no specific law prohibiting the wearing of headphones while driving, if spotted by police you are likely to be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention.

Hearing is one of the senses and intentionally impairing it means not being fully aware of the surroundings while driving.

This is similar to how police used to prosecute drivers holding a mobile phone before it became a specific offence.

The 'plus' side from the offender's perspective is that one could try and put-up a defence saying that the action did not amount to driving without due care and attention, as opposed to when there is a specific law prohibiting it.

But ultimately - no, you should not be wearing earphones while driving in the UK, and you can be prosecuted if caught. And in the event that you are involved in a collision... the police will definitely take it into account when preparing their report.

Unless , of course , it is for your hearing aid .

Having lived in Belgium for the past 2.5 years and driven through France to the ferry and Eurotunnel often, I agree with all the advice given so far. What I'll add though is some observations, which will perhaps give an idea of frequency or likelihood of some of these things happening and also some tips.

I thoroughly enjoy driving in Belgium and France - it's generally quiet, stress and road-rage free as I hope you'll also find.

* I've never been passed by a police car that was not on its way to an accident

* I've never seen a police car parked at the side of motorways or roads, ready for action

* Belgians and French don't put their hi-vis jackets over their seat backs (like i did for the first week or so) to show they have them

* You only get flashed in the fast lane by speeding motorists behind you at nighttime (I'm assuming you are going at the max allowed limit), during daylight hours they politely use their left indicator - bit annoying still, but not offensive. They can be right up your backside though and clearly don't worry about the safety consequences of doing so.

* French main roads don't have potholes, but Belgian ones, especially in the poorer half, Wallonie, are covered in them! And some will eat your wheels for breakfast. In particular there are some awful ones on the main roads from Dunquerque into Belgium (part of the 8,500km E40). Be careful. An English colleague had 3 complete blowouts in his RS4 with 2 more punctures in a few years. The Belgians do not make good road surfaces, unless they are cobbles, which they do extremely well

* Touch wood, I've never been pulled over. My magnetic GB badge fell off and I never noticed for months. Yes, you need all the docs.

* Belgians carry their fire extinguishers in the front footwell usually, where their holders are bolted to the passenger side

* The speed limit on motorways particularly changes when it is raining - usually 20 km/h less. Drivers are expected to know this and you see them slowing down

* In Belgium the roadworks often take a long time to complete (all those potholes add to it!) and often have fearsome, grey pillbox speed cameras

* Speed cameras are not usually painted in warning colours, though sometimes there are signs for the general area

* Beware of priorité à la droite on straight roads, which gives drivers coming from side roads, without stop markings in front of them, not you , the right over you. A couple of times I've been driving at the speed limit and a car has shot out into the road in front of me, giving me quite a shock. Once in Brussels. The locals know these particular roads and are offended if you beep as would be the normal English reaction to someone doing that. Modern stop markings are a white, sawtooth painted line, so when I see them I'm confident I've the right of way.
When I do not see any markings, which is rare, (and it takes practice to pay attention to every side street, whilst driving in towns especially), then I slow down.
It is worth driving before the limit in built-up towns, especially when you can't see traffic from the right.

* Speed bumps (sleeping policemen) can be huge and made out of cobblestones. One ate the oil sump on my Saab 9-3 (not exactly a low car, though I got most of the €1.5k repair bill back from the commune)

Generally, if you drive and behave as the reasonable drivers around you then you'll be fine.

One last tip! When in Belgium try the rare, wonderful Orval - good bars will stock it and no supermarket or beershop does. Can be bought by the box at their Monastery in the south.
42a68d67afec99b4ce9133565473e2d6.jpg

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Having lived in Belgium for the past 2.5 years and driven through France to the ferry and Eurotunnel often, I agree with all the advice given so far. What I'll add though is some observations, which will perhaps give an idea of frequency or likelihood of some of these things happening and also some tips.

I thoroughly enjoy driving in Belgium and France - it's generally quiet, stress and road-rage free as I hope you'll also find.

* I've never been passed by a police car that was not on its way to an accident

* I've never seen a police car parked at the side of motorways or roads, ready for action

* Belgians and French don't put their hi-vis jackets over their seat backs (like i did for the first week or so) to show they have them

* You only get flashed in the fast lane by speeding motorists behind you at nighttime (I'm assuming you are going at the max allowed limit), during daylight hours they politely use their left indicator - bit annoying still, but not offensive. They can be right up your backside though and clearly don't worry about the safety consequences of doing so.

* French main roads don't have potholes, but Belgian ones, especially in the poorer half, Wallonie, are covered in them! And some will eat your wheels for breakfast. In particular there are some awful ones on the main roads from Dunquerque into Belgium (part of the 8,500km E40). Be careful. An English colleague had 3 complete blowouts in his RS4 with 2 more punctures in a few years. The Belgians do not make good road surfaces, unless they are cobbles, which they do extremely well

* Touch wood, I've never been pulled over. My magnetic GB badge fell off and I never noticed for months. Yes, you need all the docs.

* Belgians carry their fire extinguishers in the front footwell usually, where their holders are bolted to the passenger side

* The speed limit on motorways particularly changes when it is raining - usually 20 km/h less. Drivers are expected to know this and you see them slowing down

* In Belgium the roadworks often take a long time to complete (all those potholes add to it!) and often have fearsome, grey pillbox speed cameras

* Speed cameras are not usually painted in warning colours, though sometimes there are signs for the general area

* Beware of priorité à la droite on straight roads, which gives drivers coming from side roads, without stop markings in front of them, not you , the right over you. A couple of times I've been driving at the speed limit and a car has shot out into the road in front of me, giving me quite a shock. Once in Brussels. The locals know these particular roads and are offended if you beep as would be the normal English reaction to someone doing that. Modern stop markings are a white, sawtooth painted line, so when I see them I'm confident I've the right of way.
When I do not see any markings, which is rare, (and it takes practice to pay attention to every side street, whilst driving in towns especially), then I slow down.
It is worth driving before the limit in built-up towns, especially when you can't see traffic from the right.

* Speed bumps (sleeping policemen) can be huge and made out of cobblestones. One ate the oil sump on my Saab 9-3 (not exactly a low car, though I got most of the €1.5k repair bill back from the commune)

Generally, if you drive and behave as the reasonable drivers around you then you'll be fine.

One last tip! When in Belgium try the rare, wonderful Orval - good bars will stock it and no supermarket or beershop does. Can be bought by the box at their Monastery in the south.
42a68d67afec99b4ce9133565473e2d6.jpg

Thanks for the detailed response really appreciated

So do I need to carry a fire extinguisher aswell ?

Cheers

Thanks for the detailed response really appreciated

Cheers

I would. They only cost between £10-20. It can save a life (a colleague who ended up losing two legs and an arm in a motorbike crash here​, was pulled out and had his face and life saved by one used by a passing motorist).
For the UK I just looked online and found this interesting site, I'd not heard of before. Good variety though powdered and BC rating seem to be worthy recommendations.
http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/car-fire-extinguisher/

Here's the "NATO Survivor’s Guide to Driving in Belgium" which makes interesting reading as well.
http://www.nato.int/nato_static/assets/pdf/pdf_2013_10/20131113_131009-ims-newcomers-guide.pdf

Cheers

Your choice, you won't get into trouble if you don't.
One more to add, if you wear specs for driving, you need a spare set in the car too.

Russ

Your choice, you won't get into trouble if you don't.
One more to add, if you wear specs for driving, you need a spare set in the car too.

Russ

Gosh, this is actually getting silly haha

Next they'll want us to tow an ambulance along.. as well as a trailer full of comprehensive spares and maintenance equipment.

Gosh, this is actually getting silly haha

Next they'll want us to tow an ambulance along.. as well as a trailer full of comprehensive spares and maintenance equipment.

Just wait until you get there, some of them don't even speak English.

Are the French police intelligent enough to understand that a MB with intelligent lights and the headlights set to "right hand traffic" doesn't need sticky tape on the lamps?

Just wait until you get there, some of them don't even speak English.
And the ones that do wilfully insist on speaking French even when we're trying to communicate with them :rolleyes:

;) :D

Just use 'common bleeding sense' and you will be fine!

Roads over here are generally great and I can count one one hand, the amount of police I have seen in the past 13 years of living here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom