Driving in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Taff814

Car
C220 CDI Coupe AMG Sport Auto
Hi all. This has probably been asked a thousand times so I apologise for asking again.
What setting does my 2013 C204 with ILS need to be on whilst driving in France?
Left hand traffic or right hand traffic?
The manual is wonderfully obscure.
Thanks

Right hand traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget the legal requirement to carry an alcohol testing kit, hi viz (check but I think you're meant to have hi viz for all passengers), plus the usual spare bulb kit, warning triangle, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't forget the legal requirement to carry an alcohol testing kit, hi viz (check but I think you're meant to have hi viz for all passengers), plus the usual spare bulb kit, warning triangle, etc

You don't need the alcohol kit

OMG, you're right!

'The enforcement of the law making it compulsory to carry breathalysers whilst driving in France has been postponed indefinitely. Whilst the law itself is still in place the authorities have recognised problems with the supply of suitable breathalysers and will not issue fines until further notice.' - from Brittany Ferries website.

Thanks for drawing to my attention Carnut. The ones I had were out of date and I was cursing having to buy more this summer. Good to know we now don't need them! Sorry to OP for my duff info!

My thanks to everyone. Just have to print off my insurance certificate and I'm set.

And as if it knew I needed it, the Aviva site is down :mad::mad:

I’ve driven in France quite a few times and hardly ever seen the police so they’re not pulling us over every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't got any spare bulbs as I have LED lights.

So have I but stupidly I believe you still have to carry a bulb kit.

I wonder how we will stand using the number plates with EU flag on them? (It’s not meant to be political, I’m interested)

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure that some bright spark will produce Union flag stickers that you can fit over the EU flag the correct way up (for Brexiteers) with the option of fitting upside down, (distress) for us remainers.
Tony

Hi viz must be in the passenger compartment & accessible. I think you also must have a 1st aid kit & GB sticker if it is not on your numberplate.

I strongly suggest you get toll tags - I didn't and it is a huge pain in the butt - specially in a low car.........

Strangely what are are umbrella holders (in the door pocket) in my car are marketed as hiviz jacket holders in Europe..

OMG, you're right!

'The enforcement of the law making it compulsory to carry breathalysers whilst driving in France has been postponed indefinitely. Whilst the law itself is still in place the authorities have recognised problems with the supply of suitable breathalysers and will not issue fines until further notice.' - from Brittany Ferries website.

Thanks for drawing to my attention Carnut. The ones I had were out of date and I was cursing having to buy more this summer. Good to know we now don't need them! Sorry to OP for my duff info!

Friends of mine that regularly travel in France recommended to me that I carry a set of breathalysers - apparently the cops can waste your time and be difficult if you don't have them. They are pretty cheap but beware of some of the Ebay mob selling breathalysers that are not actually accepted in France even though their blurb says they are. "One Step" certified by TransCom International ---- ARE NOT VALID in FRANCE. Distributed by Home Health UK.

So have I but stupidly I believe you still have to carry a bulb kit.

There has never been a French law that says you have to carry spare bulbs. It is only a recomendation in case stopped by the police and they will not let you carry on with your journey until the bulb is changed. No one has ever been fined for not having spare bulbs or a fire extinguisher and most of the other stuff the ferry companies tell you you must have as "it's the law". Documents, spare glasses, hi viz and warning triangle is all I ever take.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom