Driving in germany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benzmanc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Tesla Model 3 + Honda Blackbird
We are off to ze fatherland for a few days in August mainly to see a concert. I've never driven over there before. Anyone have any tips, I've already sussed out the unlimited autobahn sign :devil:

Both Radar and GPS-based speedcam detectors are illegal.

Many cities now require an Umweltplakette.

The beer's good :D

The sausages are good :D

They drive on the wrong side of the road.

We are off to ze fatherland for a few days in August mainly to see a concert. I've never driven over there before. Anyone have any tips, I've already sussed out the unlimited autobahn sign :devil:
Not being conversant with all the MB models the only caution I would give you is that many cities have an LEZ for which a carnet is required' other than that have a B***** god time.:thumb:

Cydersyd.

The carnet isn't strictly the word they use.
Many cities have "umwelt" zones which require that your car has an "umwelt plakette".
With a V5c, a german mercedes dealer will sell you a plakette for around EUR6.00. It only takes 10 minutes. The fine for entering a zone without a plakette is (last time I checked last year) around EUR40 and it is enforced but not consistently and some people claim to have ignored the zones and not got fined. For EUR6.00 and 10 minutes I'd buy the plakette and stick it on the windscreen. Valid for the life of the vehicle. Any petrol car after around 1990 will get a green plakette. Any foreign registered diesel car after 31.12.2006 (check the date) should get a green plakette. All the dates should be confirmed on the internet (my memory not so good) but my 1999 w202 c230k petrol has a green plakette (the s124 e300d is banned from umwelt zones unless I get it fitted with a DPF).
Les

Anyone have any tips, I've already sussed out the unlimited autobahn sign :devil:

The speed limits on the autobahns are quite tricky, typically there's just an unlimited sign at the start of the section so if you miss it you won't know.

Unlike the UK where it's 70 mph everywhere the limit goes up and down all the time ... 100, 120, 130, etc. ... so you do have to concentrate. A lower limit will apply almost every time the autobahn goes over a bridge, for example. They also have gantry-operated variable limit signs (like the M25), but those are pretty obvious!

Don't lane hog ... they can be fairly aggressive if you do.

Don't tailgate ... they sometimes have kit on bridges to measure the gap between vehicles and you can get done for it if you're too close.

Look in your mirror, look in your mirror, look in your mirror, signal, move out..pass and move in...

The speed some cars can come up behind you is scarry, even if your doing 80mph you look once, all clear, look again you have a black 7 series, A8 or some other big car zoooming past.

Also they don't brake until the very last second if your overtaking and they are coming up behind you. They do go over the white line towards the barrier almost to pass you where there is no lane !!!

Most motorways seem to me 2 lanes and lots of truck so just get used to the speed people are passing you :)

Just take it easy. I've notice more and more police and speed cameras in Europe and certainly in France its an on the spot fine.

Other than that goto the AA website or similar and check all the std kit you need to have in your car, bulbs, Hi Viz, triangle, glasses, etc etc..

Best head off down to your local second hand book store before departure. Stock up on on as many old Commando Comics as you can get your hands on. These will give you an invaluable insight into how the German mind works as well as some invaluable German language tips. Remember all Germans like being called Fritz (even the women). If they fail to understand your English, simply shout the same command in a louder tone. If you are stopped by the Gestapo (I think they are called Police nowadays) they may say things like "Vot izz yoor name" always reply "Tommy" they will cheerily respond with "For Yoo Tommy The Var ees over"

Oh!! don't forget to stock up on several tons of sausage before leaving.

Have a great trip.

Are you sure? When did that come in?
Yup, certain: it's been the case for at least a year. I mentioned this in a post some time back and it took quite a few people by surprise, including Ian (flanai1) who checked up and confirmed it to be the case.

I will check my TomTom - I know the French speed cameras were removed automatically a week or two ago, but the German ones were still active last time I was over there (August).

As for the situation in Germany it is far from clear. The use of GPS warning POIs is not illegal under German Federal law, it has been forbidden in some Landé (counties) but this only carries weight if it is backed by Federal legislation.

Many manufacturers and services continue to offer data in Germany which suggests that it is being largely ignored.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darren Griffin
Editor, PocketGPSWorld.com

Found this online, we have a German friend staying at the moment ... will ask her tonight.

they talk funny, don't understand them..

German Police cannot be reasoned with. It's on the spot and/or off to the cash point so just keep it sensible!

Look out for the sign "Imbiss" generally means a wee snack shack doing sausages and the like. Watch the ketchup though, tends to be the curried stuff they like on the continent rather than Heinz. It's ok but a bit of a shock if you aren't expecting it!

m.

German Police cannot be reasoned with. It's on the spot and/or off to the cash point so just keep it sensible!

Look out for the sign "Imbiss" generally means a wee snack shack doing sausages and the like. Watch the ketchup though, tends to be the curried stuff they like on the continent rather than Heinz. It's ok but a bit of a shock if you aren't expecting it!

m.
keep to the speed limits, do everything right, don't smile and if someone shakes your hand, don't do a limp shake.. tell them everything is better in germany, than the UK and you will have a great time...:thumb:

They like mayonaise with fries (chips to me and you) chips are crisps in the Fartherland, jaegerschnitzels, wienerschitzels, currywurst (which is bratwurst with curry sauce) are all worth a try, as is the beer. Contrary to popular belief the Germans do have a sense of humour it's just completely like anyone else's on this planet and the police have the sense of humour chip replaced with a blank stare and a hatred of all Brits (it may be due to them thinking all Brit registered cars belong to squaddies who they have a special hatred of).

As others have said before pulling out to overtake, mirror, mirror, look over shoulder, then indicate, then pull out (leaving indicator on whilst completing manouevre), then indicate to pull back in again. If a car starts flashing his headlights at you in the fast lane it usually mean they are approaching warp factor 10 and expect you to get the f*** out of there way. Having said that if someone runs into the back of anyone the person who runs into the other is at fault as they were driving too close (no grey areas in the Fartherland it is shwartz und weis (black and white). In genaral if you pull out into the OVERTAKING lane it is to OVERTAKE not sit in picking ones nose as a lot of people do in the UK, get your foot down overtake enjoy the ability to boot your car then get out of the way of the Starship Federation cruiser (bloody fast German) who is going much faster than you. Most of all enjoy.:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom