Driving in Jersey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter T

Car
SL 350, BMW540i, Toyota Hilux, Fiesta XR2
As per the title, taking the SL to Jersey for a few days break next week.

Never been before so looking forward to it. Anything I should know about the driving over there?

I think the max. speed limit is 40mph but loads of locations are 20mph. The SL will barely get out of 1st gear. I also heard that the max speed around country lanes is 15mph, you'll have a great time!

David

Last edited:
As above speed limits are very low, we flew there and hired a Metro!

As above speed limits are very low, we flew there and hired a Metro!

Thought about that but the LOML is not keen on flying, and it seems there's no great price difference, so decided to drive.

fashion-police-.jpg

dont speed

When I was there in the "a long time ago" days, the yellow boxes at junctions meant you took it in turns to pass through...... they used to confuse the grockells no end and cause long [for Jersey] tailbacks. Better check if that's still the case.......good luck!

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

When I was there in the "a long time ago" days, the yellow boxes at junctions meant you took it in turns to pass through...... they used to confuse the grockells no end and cause long [for Jersey] tailbacks. Better check if that's still the case.......good luck!

I guess that would be the filter-in-turn junctions?

Peter T said:
I guess that would be the filter-in-turn junctions?

Yes indeed - theoretically give way to the driver who 'gets there first'. In practice it tends to be an eye-contact thing, with lots of "no - after you" thrown in. All very well mannered...generally.

Enjoy.....!

W4E300 said:
Yes indeed - theoretically give way to the driver who 'gets there first'. In practice it tends to be an eye-contact thing, with lots of "no - after you" thrown in. All very well mannered...generally. Enjoy.....! Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK
Reminds me of the advice I was given on driving in Bahrain many years ago

"If he hesitates you go, because if you hesitate, he'll go!"

Worked amazingly well.......

Reminds me of the advice I was given on driving in Bahrain many years ago

"If he hesitates you go, because if you hesitate, he'll go!"

Worked amazingly well.......
What if neither of you hesitates....:crazy:

Or there is a fire.

Dec

[YOUTUBE HD]flIGqiZbyew[/YOUTUBE HD]

Your title caught my eye because we are going in 6wks. Pleased others mentioned the filter in turn. I had no idea about that.

Back from Jersey after a relaxing week in the sun.

What a great place. Friendly people, excellent hotel, superb food, surprisingly few people there considering it's August.

The driving was interesting! It feels strange at first going so slowly, not so much in town but on the open road. I used the speed limitter a lot, although there are plenty of roads where where the speed limit is irrelevant. Narrow lanes with solid stone walls either side and a bus coming the other way!

All in all, a very enjoyable time was had by all. Will definitely be going again.

I thought they were ok, I didn't see anything that made me tut tut. Usual indecision at filters, but nothing unusual.

I worked there for a couple of weeks many years back and thought that the filter-in-turn junctions in St Helier were excellent. No need to speed anywhere because the island is so small and you'd end up tailgating yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom