Driving in the Lake District

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haylands

Car
2000 CL500
Off for a jolly to the Lake District this weekend, to celebrate 27 glorious years with my patient wife!!!

We are staying at the Oak Bank Hotel, in Broadgate near Grasmere Village in Cumbria and will be looking for some nice driving roads to exercise the ABC in the CL... We will defo be doing Kirkstone Pass, but does anyone know any other "interesting roads" to try??

Thanks

You'll enjoy your stay in Grasmere. Try the Jumbleroom restaurant whilst you're there, its very good and belongs to friends of mine.

The roads are likely to be busy up here so you may not get the chance for any spirited driving. Which may be a good thing as they're also FULL of potholes too!

Honister pass is fun and you can visit the slate mine which is interesting. You could also try Wrynose pass and Hardknot pass too.

Whinlatter pass is a good driving road - well sighted.
Try going from Ambleside through Great Langdale, round the top through Little Langdale which then joins the Wrynose and Hardnott passes.
I think you will find that most roads in the lake district will be busy with slow sight seeing drivers, so don't expect to get much fast driving in.

Enjoy. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Some great touring roads...and some great cough...driving roads also :)

I've driven a fair bit round the lakes in different cars, some of the roads can be very narrow. Dry stone walls on each side give no margin of error..

I remember my dad stopping for someone as he went up the Hardknot pass in a 500SEC years ago (when they were fairly new) spinning wheels to get going away its so steep :)

Take it easy and lots of pictures

Thanks for that chaps, will try them out for size!!!

Always forget to take pics, but I'll try to remember some....

Well trust us to pick the only place in the UK with bad weather over the weekend it rained and was misty!!!!

View from the top of Hardnott pass....

So we left early Monday and came home to a glorious afternoon which I spent cleaning the car as it was bogging.... all nice and shiny and tucked away in the garage till it's next outing...

Hotel and food was nice so at least it was a break....

Pete, take a run over Corny Fell if feeling brave next time.
Just don't do it at about 4PM when Sellafield kicks out...

Pete, take a run over Corny Fell if feeling brave next time.
Just don't do it at about 4PM when Sellafield kicks out...

Or around 7:30 when they kick in. The view from the top is wonderful, if you pick a clear day.

It was fantastic all day here, got all the lawns cut before midday, the garden actually looks like someone cares, now its raining again. :(

We weren't that lucky:(

In a fit of geekery I managed to link a neighbours weather station to my website to enable me to be depressed by the weather when I'm away from home....

http://www.beckrise.com/weather/

I have a weatherstation too but the power supply board got crisped during a thunderstorm a couple of years ago. I should replace the board and get it running again it was good fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom