Driving in the snow - TC on or TC off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Greetings, Citizens.

The snow has finally arrived in force chez Gaz. The SLK has remained in the garage, but I've been out in the Ypsilon and the driving conditions are pretty vile, TBH.

Now, one of the best snow cars I ever had was my old (1980s) Fiat Panda. Much better than the (4WD) Impreza I had at the time, in fact. The Impreza's problem was that as soon as it hit boost it would light up all 4 wheels and head off in a random direction - a bit alarming. The Panda, on the other hand, with its skinny tyres, almost complete absence of power and 650Kg kerb weight was brilliant - it skipped over the top of the snow.

Stuff like traction control was a thing of the future in the Panda. Like ABS, airbags, electric windows and indeed that modern thing called a "radio". Oh well, less to go wrong. However, the Ypsilon is loaded with toys, more so in fact the Merc (the Ypsilon will parallel park itself, if needed). One of said toys is traction control, and it's been getting right up my nose today. In fact I switched it off earlier because actually, Mr. FCA, I think I know how to drive in the snow. I know the car may slide, and I know how to catch it if it does. Quite why the Ypsilon, with its 900cc engine, needs traction control in the first place is questionable, but if it really does does it need to be so dim-witted? Bah.

So is it just me, or do you prefer to drive by the seat of the pants when the going gets tough?

Cheers,

Gaz

I'd say off for most snowy occasions.
I had to turn it off on my old S class to get up the, slight, hill up our road. With it off you can spin the rear wheels a bit if needed.

As you say, for a low powered car why does it need it. On some high power cars a lot of people very quickly lose any talent for driving as soon as tc is off.

My experience has been that it is best left on - and only switched off if you have difficulty moving - in which case switch off and as soon as you get a bit of decent momentum put it back on again.

If the traction control is part of an electronic stability control system, then that's why it's present - in spite of the lack of horsepower!

Agree that TC off is the most appropriate course in most snow conditions.

I always switch ESP off when driving on snow covered roads as I feel much more in a control of a car. It’s even advised in a manual to be switched off.

I got stuck going up a hill in my c63 a couple of days ago . I eventually managed to get up it with a combination of tc on and tc sport. When the wheels started to spin too much and lose momentum I flicked the tc on, then after a few meters the tc started to cut the power too much so back on to tc sport with the wheels spinning again for a few meters, did this about 5 or 6 times. I couldn’t keep the back end from coming out though, so it was all done with the car at a diagonal angle and using opposite lock to keep the car going forwards.
It was actually quite scary, I was out in the sticks on my way back from work at 11 pm with the snow getting worse and no other cars about.
But for normal driving in snow , tc on as it’s just too tale happy otherwise and it gets tiresome having to correct it constantly even when driving in a straight line!

Last edited:
I did the diagonal dance yesterday in my c63! I have left it on tc sport in snow, may try it today with tc on.

Got stuck trying to backup a slight slope yesterday, TC wouldn't let the wheels move. Switched it off and basically dug the snow out using wheelspin. (;->

Your right foot is the best TC in the snow. Being gentle at low speed you can easily out smart the TC by feeling more information from sight, sound and your 'seat of the pants' gyro's.
The wheel speed sensors see very few data points at very low speed, so the whole TC system can not react as quickly as it does in more normal road conditions.
I've been privileged to spend a fair bit of time on skid pans and almost 50 years on winter roads with motorcycles and cars.
This is much more valuable than anyone can ever tell or advise you.

I turn it off on my r129 and switch the from S (sport) to W (wet) on the transmission, that and a set of winter tyres seems to keep it on the road

I leave TC on unless I want to play with the back end a bit, just keep your foot in when the computer reduces power and let it do its job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom