Driving Licence renewal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it true the photocard part of your driving licence needs to be renewed every 10 years at a cost of £17.50? Or is it a wind-up?
I dont carry mine so I cant check.
See here.........

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=32387

Yep, they expire every 10 years!

Its outrageous I think. Yet another scam to extract money. I completely missed this being slipped in when we went to the new photocard licences!

No it's true valid dates are on section 4a on the front of it. It's also an offence not to get it renewed, another good way of fleecing the motorist

hmm , mine is due up next year :( do they let you know?

hmm , mine is due up next year :( do they let you know?

you should get a reminder two months before it expires, the first of these started around may 2008.

When you complete a D1 due to a change of address will the renewal date automatically be extended for another 10 years?

I'm about to do this myself, but noticed that the licence is due to expire <12months time anyway, so dont want to pay twice.

you should get a reminder two months before it expires, the first of these started around may 2008.

Are you sure that wasnt with regard to the paper part of the licence which expires unless you renew when you reach 75 (or is it 70?).

When you complete a D1 due to a change of address will the renewal date automatically be extended for another 10 years?

I'm about to do this myself, but noticed that the licence is due to expire <12months time anyway, so dont want to pay twice.

When I moved home I am 99% sure that the change of address on the licence was free.

My last change of address was in 2003 but section 4b still runs out in 2010.

My last change of address was in 2003 but section 4b still runs out in 2010.

I think its 10 years for the paid renewal regardless of number of moves within that time. That seems to be the case anyway.

It's because your appearence changes over 10 years. I had bleached blonde hair (according to my ID badge at work) in 2000, but am sadly grey now (as well as more rounded in the face.

£1.70 per year as a licence to drive a vehicle anywhere in the UK - doesn't seem that bad to me. That's my perspective on it.

£80 to renew a passport - that's a different matter!!

It's because your appearence changes over 10 years. I had bleached blonde hair (according to my ID badge at work) in 2000, but am sadly grey now (as well as more rounded in the face.

£1.70 per year as a licence to drive a vehicle anywhere in the UK - doesn't seem that bad to me. That's my perspective on it.

£80 to renew a passport - that's a different matter!!

Yeah I have a issue with the passport fee as I have 2 passports so at £80 a pop (and thats going to increase to around £125 by 2012 they reckon) it's starts to get expensive although in context £1.33 a month to travel anywhere in the world suppose I can live with that but on the face of it the passport fee does not seem value for money

I met with someone from the DVLA last year and they assured me that a letter is automatically sent a couple of months before expiry. Mine expires Oct 09 so we will see.

Passports last only 10 years too.....Isn't that to ensure the photo is up todate?

So surely it makes sense for the photo license to be updated too?

Imagine if you took one out at 17 and are now 67.....and haven't had to update it.....

Opps just read Mr E's post...

Its just an excuse to con us. Given how much we give the government in income tax, fuel duty, VED, etc you'd think that we'd get something in return, like a freebie to renew licence/photo. Same with passports. Welcome to rip off effing britain. And where will the money go, down the toilet like most of our taxes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom