Driving on continent - Xenon Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

babaroga

Car
GL 420CDI
Hello,

Does anyone know on how to adjust front lights for driving on continent on GL with Xenons?

Also, if you are to move to EU on continent, can you adjust lights adjusted like that or you would need to replace front lights?

Kind Regards

Either a little lever inside the headlamp unit or possibly an option in the cluster menu. If you're really unlucky it could be a STAR only setting.

I believe if you import the car you have to change the lights for the right-hand traffic version.

'I believe if you import the car you have to change the lights for the right-hand traffic version.'

You do indeed, if you want to be road-legal.

Luck you to have a means of adjustment; on my old W210 (1998), the only way is to lower the beams with the height adjusters, which means that when they're low enough not to dazzle, they don't light up an awful lot of the road ahead.

E55BOF

On my E350 Estate (2010) you make the change using the cluster. It is very easy once you figure it out, but you do lose the automated beam-steering when you switch over to right hand driving. It beats the hell out of those expensive silver transfers though.

Spoke to service at dealership and they say it will only "straightened" beams, whatever is that supposed to mean. And you do need to take whole light units to do so, unless you are gynaecologists and and handy with some "bendy tooling"....

Had anyone got any information on electronic parts catalogue that we can see if there are any changes for the front lights between LHS and RHD vehicles?

Spoke to service at dealership and they say it will only "straightened" beams, whatever is that supposed to mean. And you do need to take whole light units to do so, unless you are gynaecologists and and handy with some "bendy tooling"....

Had anyone got any information on electronic parts catalogue that we can see if there are any changes for the front lights between LHS and RHD vehicles?

When you set your lights for driving on the right, the beam is made symmetric ( a 'flat' beam), so that it no longer lights up the nearside verge.

If you want to register your car in France, for example, they will require proof that your car is equipped for driving on the right. The lights are not the same - they don't have the same beam pattern. You may also need to change your rear fog lamp as well.
hth

When you set your lights for driving on the right, the beam is made symmetric ( a 'flat' beam), so that it no longer lights up the nearside verge.

So, there is no way to convert current lights into LHD type ones, apart from buying new set. Is that a correct statement? :dk:

If you want to register your car in France, for example, they will require proof that your car is equipped for driving on the right. The lights are not the same - they don't have the same beam pattern. You may also need to change your rear fog lamp as well.
hth

Same applies if you want to register EU car into UK. On GL, I have got two rear fog lamps and two reverse lights, so nothing to change at the back, fortunately..... :bannana::bannana::bannana:

So, there is no way to convert current lights into LHD type ones, apart from buying new set. Is that a correct statement? :dk:

Yes that's my understanding. RHD and flat, or LHD and flat.

Same applies if you want to register EU car into UK. On GL, I have got two rear fog lamps and two reverse lights, so nothing to change at the back, fortunately..... :bannana::bannana::bannana:

Yes -- all this silly business because you still drive on the wrong side ;)

(sorry)

Back to your question: if you move to "the Continent", I would seriously recommend buying a LHD. I know it's possible to keep a RHD, but life is too short to f*rt about at every car park barrier. :rolleyes:

Yes -- all this silly business because you still drive on the wrong side ;)

(sorry)

Back to your question: if you move to "the Continent", I would seriously recommend buying a LHD. I know it's possible to keep a RHD, but life is too short to f*rt about at every car park barrier. :rolleyes:

Saying that, I want to be different :doh:

Well, we have large family, and I own this car outright and know it inside-out. Selling it now, whatever we can get, and then trying to find equivalent on the continent will be time consuming and you wouldn't know what you buy. Also, not many GLs are available on the continent with low mileage as ours. Then again, my other half drives this and I can get her one of those litter pick-up sticks for car parks :wallbash:

2521002_lg.jpg

PS
Hope she does not read this forum :rolleyes:

Saying that, I want to be different :doh:

Well, we have large family, and I own this car outright and know it inside-out. Selling it now, whatever we can get, and then trying to find equivalent on the continent will be time consuming and you wouldn't know what you buy. Also, not many GLs are available on the continent with low mileage as ours. Then again, my other half drives this and I can get her one of those litter pick-up sticks for car parks :wallbash:

2521002_lg.jpg

PS
Hope she does not read this forum :rolleyes:

:):):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom