Driving points/ban 100+mph on motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I remember tearing through Harthill on the M8 at 132mph in my SAAB 900 Turbo 25 years ago.

I didn't get any points either - but then, I wasn't caught... :rolleyes:

I remember tearing through Harthill on the M8 at 132mph in my SAAB 900 Turbo 25 years ago.

And no doubt you weren't the slowest either back in those days.

I got caught at 115mph on my Yamaha R1 bike a few years ago but policemen said I wasn't being dangerous and issued a £60 fine and 3pts. They advised me to keep a better eye on my mirrors if I was going to carry on doing those speeds!!

Many years ago when I was caught in a similar circumstance (albeit at a slightly lower speed) I found that the legal cover that formed part of my car insurance would cover legal representation for motoring offences should the likely outcome be a ban. A very nice man came all the way from a London chambers to Salford and represented me to the extent that I accrued 6 points and circa £250 fine.

Whilst I am sure sentencing guidelines and thresholds have all changed in the intervening years (13 if my memory serves me) I would think that a quick read of the policy and probably a phone call to the insurance company would be worthwhile.

I got done for speeding 40 years ago when I was 17, 50 in a 30 limit. I was caught by a police motorcyclist, it was my fault and I pleaded guilty.
A few years later, I was being interviewed to join the police and this conviction was brought up with the sarcastic comment by one of the senior officers, " so you want to use our cars to speed around in now? "
I got in to the force and a couple of years later I went on to the traffic department and worked with the officer who had reported me.
I obviously got involved with many speeding cases over the years with some at really high speeds. The one thing I learned was that the court sentencing was never consistent. The courts, for most offences, were a playground and whoever played best on the day, won the game.
Go to court well prepared. I would, as others have said, plead guilty at the first opportunity and then have somebody who knows what they are doing, give your mitigation.
When I retired, nearly 8 years ago, I was again caught speeding, 71 on a dual carriageway, but driving a van. On receiving the NIP, I pleaded guilty immediately and then wrote a 5 page letter in mitigation. I did not mention my previous occupation or qualifications. I think the ticket office got bored because they withdrew the NIP>

I've been caught 3 times.

1/ Aged 17, Suzi GT250. Can't remember the outcome it was that long ago.

2/ Northern Germany en route to Sweden. German cop pulled gun on me when I complained about on the spot fine.

3/ 30 something in a 30 zone. Cop pulled me over. Boiled down to him wanting to check the car out. Showed me photos of his gold M3. Had to pretend I liked it. Things you do to avoid a ticket.

I got done for speeding 40 years ago when I was 17, 50 in a 30 limit. I was caught by a police motorcyclist, it was my fault and I pleaded guilty.
A few years later, I was being interviewed to join the police and this conviction was brought up with the sarcastic comment by one of the senior officers, " so you want to use our cars to speed around in now? "
I got in to the force and a couple of years later I went on to the traffic department and worked with the officer who had reported me.
I obviously got involved with many speeding cases over the years with some at really high speeds. The one thing I learned was that the court sentencing was never consistent. The courts, for most offences, were a playground and whoever played best on the day, won the game.
Go to court well prepared. I would, as others have said, plead guilty at the first opportunity and then have somebody who knows what they are doing, give your mitigation.
When I retired, nearly 8 years ago, I was again caught speeding, 71 on a dual carriageway, but driving a van. On receiving the NIP, I pleaded guilty immediately and then wrote a 5 page letter in mitigation. I did not mention my previous occupation or qualifications. I think the ticket office got bored because they withdrew the NIP>

I had a very similar experience around the same time ( circa 1980 ) when I would have been in my early 20's . On my way to a MBOC meeting , I was stopped on the A1M near Northallerton with a recorded speed of 111.2 It was something like 8 am on a sunny Sunday morning and hardly any other traffic , so no aggravating factors , and it was my first ever run in with the police .

Anyway , I pled guilty by letter , with suitably grovelling apologies , emphasising I had never been in any kind of trouble before and very much regretted the incident .... The outcome was that I received 3 points and a fine of £82 ( £2 for each mph over the limit ) . I was a good boy , for a while , after that .

I too had a police interview for a support staff job ( must've been about 12 years ago now , not long before I started with the Fire Service ) and one question that came up was " So , you were speeding in Edinburgh 30 years ago ? " , referring to a time I was caught at high 30's in a 30 on my motorbike . Fortunately I was able to say ' yes , but nothing since then ' . I never got that job but was told I was the runner up out of about 100 applicants .

Anyway , I'd reiterate : plead guilty early , don't flannel with silly excuses that they've heard 1000 times before , and be contrite . I didn't even think about representation but came out alright .

If you're not sure of anything , get proper legal advice .

Edit - as an aside , going back to my scrape in the early 80's , the cops obviously knew the MBOC meeting was on ( Club National day at Harewood House ) because quite a few of the guys had received tickets on the way there , but the prize went to a gent in a 300SL Gullwing who was clocked at 140 something - not bad for a 1950's sports car !

Last edited:
Speeding in this country is now just too stressful. I was lucky and could do it legally for many years. I am now an examiner for Rospa anjd tend to practice what I preach although I don't think that anybody can really say that they never speed.
These days I do a lot of euro driving and visit Germany 3 or 4 times a year, I'm going again in December. Besides the unrestricted parts of the autobahn, I also visit the Nurburgring quite regularly. Not just for the track though, the area is also very nice.

Ditto .

Nowadays , with all the technology used for speed detection , it is just about impossible to speed and get away with it , at least on a regular basis ! Most roads are also that much busier that there are fewer places where high speed is safe anyway . Even on some of the finest roads in the Highlands , where 'making progress' can be an enjoyable challenge , there are unmarked cars lurking :(

While in days gone by , you could sometimes have a bit of banter with the cops , and might be let off with a warning , I think it's much less likely nowadays , and you can't debate anything with a camera .

If you rely on your licence for your job , speeding is just plain silly these days . I pretty much keep to the limits all the time nowadays , and keep my stress levels down , but once in a while it can be fun to stretch the car's legs ....

Last edited:
I am now an examiner for Rospa anjd tend to practice what I preach although I don't think that anybody can really say that they never speed.

Very true, but the problem is not one of control but one of restraint. 150mph+ machines into 20/30mph limits just don't go.

Always wary of Volvo estates.

I cannot believe the amount of people in these posts have driven over 100mph!!

I cannot believe the amount of people in these posts have driven over 100mph!!

I can't believe the number of people that haven't driven over 100 mph :D My best so far is 204 mph :D No point having a performance car and driving like Miss Daisy :bannana:

Ok but that's on the track, I meant on the road.

I can't believe the number of people that haven't driven over 100 mph :D My best so far is 204 mph :D No point having a performance car and driving like Miss Daisy :bannana:

Dam, beat me by 4 lol:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom