Driving points/ban 100+mph on motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan-mb

Car
E350 CDI coupe, CLS 320 CDI
Has any one any experience of getting caught speeding over 100mph on the motorway? Likely penalty/ban for driving in access of 100mph on the motorway? I got pulled over by an unmarked X5 on the M6 speeding. Issued with a traffic offense report. :confused::doh:

No, but from all the reports it appears usually 100+ is an automatic ban, usually.

Go on then, just how much over the magic number were you clocked at?

The current Magistrates’ Court Sentencing Guidelines can be downloaded here.

Much will depend upon the reported speed and whether or not there were aggravating factors such as aggressive driving, poor weather, etc.

According to the table on page 131, if the speed is below 111mph and there are no aggravating factors then the guidance suggests 6 points and a fine of up to £2,500 but a ban of between 7 and 56 days will also be considered. There will normally be a reduction applied for a guilty plea if made at the earliest opportunity.

Good lawyer and good mitigation and you can avoid a ban up to about 130 mph

I have had to get 2 of my guys off one was 102 mph in a 60 the other 123 mph on motorway.

The motorway incident cost him 11 points and £1360 but he kept his license

I got a 5 week ban for doing 108mph in a Red Golf GTi on the M5. It was my first offence so I turned up in suit and tie. The pompous a rse presiding gave me a long lecture about how I clearly showed no respect for the law and expressed his surprise that it was my first time.

A casually dressed chap in shorts who was also caught in a Golf GTi doing 105mph for the second time got a 2 week ban. He didn't get a lecture.

For some reason me not confessing my guilt to the cop wot nicked me was the reason for the discrepancy in sentence and lecture. So much for the golden thread.

My sister got caught doing well over a hundred in my dad's black Saab 900 turbo. She flashed her eyelids etc a lot, chopped an onion and mentioned how inexperienced she was driving powerful cars and didn't even get a ticket.

Moral of story. Flash some leg and either say you got me bang to rights guv or imply you are a weak and feeble young lady.

Last edited:
over 10 years ago now - but 108mph on the A303 in Wiltshire.
2 week ban and £350 fine.

Was told afterwards that i should have pleaded not guilty as there were so many discrepancies in the police report :/

My brother got caught on the M6 doing a steady 106, accelerating to 113 whilst overtaking, in a Ford Sierra company car, about 20 years ago, whilst I was in the car.

He had to go to Walsall magistrates court to defend himself.

Due to the lone copper, making some things up, possibly similar to Halcyon Days above? He got away with a £650 fine and 3 points - no ban.

Generally the guidance seems to be that if you're travelling at 30 mph above the speed limit, then a ban is considered.

A good solicitor may be able to put sufficient doubt in the court's minds to get you off but good luck with that if you were followed and caught fairly and squarely.

Has any one any experience of getting caught speeding over 100mph on the motorway? Likely penalty/ban for driving in access of 100mph on the motorway? I got pulled over by an unmarked X5 on the M6 speeding. Issued with a traffic offense report. :confused::doh:

You're a brave man admitting to this most heinous of crimes on here. LOL!

It will depend on the magistrate on the day and the police report. It's pretty much a lottery. If you definitely want to be sure to avoid a ban get a very good solicitor. Wishing you the best of luck :thumb:

At least you had the cojones not to blame your pal 'Dave' :thumb:

If I remember correctly 'he' got a £1000 fine and a ban of 12 (or was it 18?) months. That was in Scotland on a deserted motorway doing 120+MPH in a C220CDi.

Ernie

If I remember correctly 'he' got a £1000 fine and a ban of 12 (or was it 18?c) months. That was in Scotland on a deserted motorway doing 120+MPH in a C220CDi.

Ernie

I didn't think it was a Motorway, I was under the impression it was A road, single carriageway?

Yep, M74 @ 134mph IIRC.

18 months ban and a substantial fine. He was lucky to escape a custodial in that court.

He was lucky to escape a custodial in that court.

I suspect that the applicable sentencing guidelines mean that a custodial sentence was rather unlikely - so it was normal rather than lucky.

Yep, M74 @ 134mph IIRC.

18 months ban and a substantial fine. He was lucky to escape a custodial in that court.

I'm pretty sure it was 138 on the M74 , he got an 18 month ban , don't know what fine . He recently sat an extended test and got his licence back . I think he now drives a more modest car but has been racking up the miles and posting his photographic blogs on his website

Mont Saint Michel: Mont Saint Michel: Photography at dusk - SFT Photography

Carcassonne: La Cite de Carcassonne - SFT Photography

Lac d’Oredon in the Pyrenees: Landscape photography at Lac d'Orédon in the Hautes-Pyrénées, France - SFT Photography

Millau viaduct: Photography at the Millau Viaduct - SFT Photography

Montserrat in Spain: Montserrat Monastery - SFT Photography

Solesmes on the way back: Solesmes Abbey: Reflections on the Sarthe - SFT Photography

Do you mean you were issued with a ticket or reported with a summons to follow? :dk: The former will be a Fixed Penalty of three points plus fine, the latter..

I thought a summons was mandatory for speeds over 100 mph ?

Or is some discretion available ?

I suspect that the applicable sentencing guidelines mean that a custodial sentence was rather unlikely - so it was normal rather than lucky.

The charge wasn't speeding though it was Dangerous Driving which in England takes you into a whole new set of sentencing guidelines and I expect the case in Scotland is the same based on the sentance and fine he got

The charge wasn't speeding though it was Dangerous Driving which in England takes you into a whole new set of sentencing guidelines and I expect the case in Scotland is the same based on the sentance and fine he got

I seem to recall , from Steve's lengthy thread over on Pistonheads , that in that particular area , if not the whole of Scotland , speeds over 100mph are automatically treated as Dangerous Driving .

I think the guidelines in England may differ ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom