Driving quick on M/way - Police stopped and advised

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billywhiz

Car
E55
Come about because of this > http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/driving-incidents-roadrage/153974-merc-drivers-huh.html

Posting on behalf of a friend - possibly the same friend that Jay had - Anyway his name is Dave. - Please bear with this length thread

Dave told me the sometime in December 2012 he was enjoying a drive home from the coast and was nearly home when a blue mercedes with foreign plates came onto the m/way from a slip road.

Dave being courteous was in the middle lane allowing cars to join - The blue mercedes came in front of Dave and slowed down to 40mph - Dave indicated and overtook to the third lane and passed the blue mercedes. Once passed he indicated and moved back into middle lane following the speed of the traffic.

The said Blue Mercedes overtook Dave, then moved back into the middle lane, in front of Dave and slowed right down again.

Now Dave was not speeding and just trying to get home - the junction off was 2 junctions away.

So Dave had no choice but to indicate, move into the third lane and overtake, as he did the Blue mercedes came behind very close, so with the road ahead clear Dave put his foot down a bit, soon made some space and then indicated back into the 2nd lane.

Whilst he did this and again going with the speed of the traffic, he noticed the blue's n two's start to flash behind him.

Finding a safe area to pull onto the hard shoulder he did this - The savvy road traffic officer had also managed to bring the blue mercedes in too.

Once stopped, the officer came to the door and advised dave he was alleged to be traveling at triple digit speed for a short distance of motorway. He said anything Dave said would be written down and used in a court of law + also mentioned that he could be put forward for consideration of excessive speed

Now Dave being a respectful fellow didn't give any backchat or smart answers but answered all the traffic officers questions with direct replies calling him sir as he did.

The traffic officer said he would be back in a minute as he needed to talk to the other car.

He was gone almost ten minutes before he came back to advise that Dave was driving a powerful car that must have been expensive. He asked Dave what job he did and whether he would lose his job if convicted to which Dave said he sure he was. Dave did mention that the Blue mercedes had joined the motorway and caused the issue as per above

The Officer told Dave to go on his way and be careful and keep the speed down.

Now Dave was just asking me that since December he had not heard anything further so he's a bit unsure if there is a letter due through the door.

I said I'd find out

:dk:

Id say if nothing by the end of this month he's a lucky chap;)

As this would be classed as a verbal NIP it has to be prosecuted within 6 months of the offence being committed :thumb:

Dave should drive his E55 with a wee bit more care.

Like sticking at 70 mph instead of 40mph.

Then there would not have been any blue Mercedes to cause him hassle.

Dave should drive his E55 with a wee bit more care.

Like sticking at 70 mph instead of 40mph.

Then there would not have been any blue Mercedes to cause him hassle.

Correct - Dave said he was doing 70mph - It was the Blue Mercedes that joined the middle lane in front of him and forced the speed down to 40mph

If Dave had continued to do 70mph he would have hit the Blue Mercedes - he had no choice but to slow down, then when safe overtake to the third lane.

I think Dave will be OK.

I had a similar encounter with an unmarked Golf R. Officer said I was going so fast it would have to go to court as he couldn't give me a ticket. Was in Jan and heard nothing since. Friend of mine is a judge and says the public service "admin" is in "meltdown". Depends where the caution was. If it was at roadside then could be classed as verbal caution. If like me he was cautioned in the back of the car it could be on video in which cas I don't think there is a time limit. It's. no fun looking at the mail each day but the longer it goes own the less likely it is to go anywhere.

I had a similar encounter with an unmarked Golf R. Officer said I was going so fast it would have to go to court as he couldn't give me a ticket. Was in Jan and heard nothing since. Friend of mine is a judge and says the public service "admin" is in "meltdown". Depends where the caution was. If it was at roadside then could be classed as verbal caution. If like me he was cautioned in the back of the car it could be on video in which cas I don't think there is a time limit. It's. no fun looking at the mail each day but the longer it goes own the less likely it is to go anywhere.

see post #3 has to be prosecuted within 6 months if they try after any good lawyer will be able to get the CPS to drop it but they wont try trust me ;)

That said I once had one drop through the letter box the day before they would have lost their chance :-(

Why did Dave continue travelling in the middle lane?
After the junction he should have completed his overtaking manoeuvre and returned to the left hand lane!

Did anyone see the story about the blue Merc on Foreign plates, and the road rage incident on the M25? Sounded like a similar sort of story to what happened to Dave.

Did anyone see the story about the blue Merc on Foreign plates, and the road rage incident on the M25? Sounded like a similar sort of story to what happened to Dave.

Maybe it was the same blue Merc on foreign plates...

And the same Dave...

E55BOF said:
Maybe it was the same blue Merc on foreign plates...

And the same Dave...

Nope, at most a week ago. Merc man forced a woman to stop in lane 3, got out and smashed her windscreen. Drove off afterward.

I interpreted the post as referring to two separate incidents. I've already seen the story about the M25 incident, but did not recall the colour or make of the offending driver's car. :eek:

Mind you, whenever something like that is reported, I do tend to wonder whether the offending driver is a complete nutter with anger management issues, or whether he or she would be able to give some at least half-plausible cause, from the offended driver's behaviour, that led to the incident.

Depending on when in December this was, I think Dave will be OK.

As Flania1 says, the CPS have six months exactly to issue a court summons.

From the sound of it, the Policeman correctly read the actions and pursued the other driver, not Dave.

Hope I don't find myself in a similar situation, I would be tempted to be a Dave too.

:D:D:D

Not sure exactly what was happening yesterday on the M6, but a Volvo was about to come past me, which had a Mondeo glued to his rear bumper.

Obviously took exception and there was what appeared to be extreme break testing going on. Lorries were flying past on the inside,

Out of my vision they switched positions, with Volvo fairly close (though not as close as the Mondeo was - that really was unacceptable - about a foot), and came past me.

20 minutes later Volvo was seen on the hard shoulder having a chat with boys in blue.

Not an awful lot of sympathy for him - he was bloody dangerous, but was provoked,

perhaps he had been hogging lanes for a while and brake testing anyone that wanted to get past.

I generally find that the one hogging the lane has no intention of moving over whatever, hence they then get tailgated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom