Driving shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In SA it used to be hards hats. Engineers (professional with degrees) & management were the only people that wore a white hard hat (particularly in the gold mines). Others were coloured to reflect trade, e.g. red = electrical , blue = piping etc......The number of people driving with a white hard hat in the rear window......... :rolleyes: .

Once saw a car with a nodding dog that had it’s eyes light up when brakes were applied........:)

My late grandpa was guilty of the white hard hat in the gold mines scenario! Yep, on the parcel shelf or back seat of the car the company would provide. I think it was Witwatersrand area he was consultant of in SA. He was chief consultant for Bahrat Gold Mines Limited in India too at the Kolar Gold Fields. Same hat! Not like today when you get a new one every five years. I’ve still got his old white hard hat and some document folders with gold leaf inscriptions. Pretty cool items to me and remind me of him. Probably not to others though!

A friend once told me that it’s illegal to drive wearing flip flops in Spain 🤷‍♂️
Got to say if I have flip flops (or ‘slides’ as my lads call them!) on I find I trap the pedals between foot and flip flop so kick em off and go bareback. Probably illegal too! To be fair, I like the Spanish approach to H&S, usually an accident is your own stupid fault 😆 When we were in Salou before the first lockdown, there were some local guys grafting in an excavation renewing a hydrant in flip flops. Legends!

In SA it used to be hards hats. Engineers (professional with degrees) & management were the only people that wore a white hard hat (particularly in the gold mines). Others were coloured to reflect trade, e.g. red = electrical , blue = piping etc......The number of people driving with a white hard hat in the rear window......... :rolleyes: .

It was the same when I worked for ICI in construction. I still have my 30 year old "ICI Engineering" white hard hat. It's a reminder of a once great company but I keep it in the loft rather than the car.

I stood on a slider in my slides once, I slid over and flip flopped around 😂

It was the same when I worked for ICI in construction. I still have my 30 year old "ICI Engineering" white hard hat. It's a reminder of a once great company but I keep it in the loft rather than the car.
It’s a small world, my grandpa also worked for ICI in the 50’s to the 80’s! I’ve still got lots of ICI stuff in the loft too. Wonder if you ever crossed paths, his name was Prof. Edward Logan Johnson Potts?
This kind of thing (a theses from one of his undergrads):

The other acknowledged engineers Dr Budavri and Mr Szeki were also notable in the field.

Sorry for going off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom