Driving tests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All the more reasons to have more patrols and less speed cameras.
Imagine how easy it is to spot someone who has not taken a test. Wrong signalling. diabolic lane changes ,cannot perform a three point turn(very common).
But as long as they stay under 30mph they can drive forever and never get spotted.

Under 30mph is less worrying than deciding to try out the motorway :eek: :eek:

This is not news. been an endemic problem in some areas and has been known to the DVLA for years. But there was and is no political will to fix it for a number of predictable but depressing reasons.

What has changed is that the Government is starting to headline any number of problems that could be "fixed" by a National Identity Card

It's not the only problem, the willingness now of the DVLA to hand out a UK Driving Licence to anyone who has a licence from third world countries where licences can be purchased for very little contributes greatly to the problem. I have been told, by an Indian, that the reason for the very poor standard of Indian women drivers in Slough is that it is an accepted fact that they go to India on holiday, buy a licence and exchange it for a UK one when they get back.

I agree with you Satch, this is part of the softening up process for identity cards.

It's not the only problem, the willingness now of the DVLA to hand out a UK Driving Licence to anyone who has a licence from third world countries where licences can be purchased for very little contributes greatly to the problem. I have been told, by an Indian, that the reason for the very poor standard of Indian women drivers in Slough is that it is an accepted fact that they go to India on holiday, buy a licence and exchange it for a UK one when they get back.

Would be a great story if it actually were true, but why let the facts stand in the way of a "great story" about how these "bloody foreigners" come here and "abuse" the roads...

You cannot exchange an Indian driver's license for a British one. If they want a UK licence, they will need to get a GB provisional driving licence and sit a theory and practical driving test.

Here are the countries whose licences you can exchange for a UK one (and where you as a UK citizen can exchange yours for a local one):

Northern Ireland, European Community and European Economic Area countries, Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

Other than Zimbabwe (and it is left as an exercise to the reader to figure out why that one is in the list), I see no third world countries in the list.

India certainly is not in the list. And are you so sure that passing the test in India is easier than on, say, the Falkland Islands or in Gibraltar?

Last edited:
Would be a great story if it actually were true, but why let the facts stand in the way of a great story about how these bloody foreigners come here and abuse the roads...

India certainly is not in the list. And are you so sure that passing the test in India is easier than on, say, the Falkland Islands or in Gibraltar?

Thanks a lot for this . We need to stick to the fact and stop all this rubbish profiling . We tend to forget that british people also go to other countries and cause accidents as well. and believe me some drivers in here are no better than third world drivers as well.
Apologies to all indian women, if any on this forum. we do not need generalised statements.

"very poor standard of indian women drivers in slough". unbelievable.
So all indian women in slough are poor drivers.
Whenever i watch road wars on sky tv. thames valley police chase a lot of cars with appalling drivers and none i have seen have been indian women.

Would be a great story if it actually were true, but why let the facts stand in the way of a great story about how these bloody foreigners come here and abuse the roads...
Guido I gather that the red bit was a mistake, typed with frustration maybe? There are a lot of members here who were not born in this country. But in general I understand what you are saying

Thanks a lot for this . We need to stick to the fact and stop all this rubbish profiling . We tend to forget that british people also go to other countries and cause accidents as well. and believe me some divers in here are no better than third world drivers as well.

That's an excellent summary of what I was thinking. Yes, we see a lot of awful driving on the roads, but frankly I see it by young and old, by white people as well as others, and by all nationalities.

Let's stick to that problem and figure out how to tackle it, rather than getting into the stereotypes and the xenophobia, I say.

Whwnver i watch road wars on sky tv. thames valley police chase a lot of cars with appalling drivers and none i have seen have been indian women.

Exactly.

Guido I gather that the red bit was a mistake, typed with frustration maybe? There are a lot of members here who were not born in this country. But in general I understand what you are saying

Sorry, it was meant to be sarcasm - you see, I am one of those bloody foreigners, so I was referring to myself in this way if you like in order to highlight the tone of the post I was replying to. A way of clarifying what the post was implying if you like.

As it seems this has caused some misunderstanding, I apologise if my statement could have been misread in any way, shape or form.

Let it be quite clear that I do not subscribe to the stereotypical views on "bloody foreigners", but simply used the term to indicate what I perceived to be the real underlying sentiment of what I responded to.

Agreed. bad driving is caused by all nationalities, asian,african,eea, american, russian. Just as good driving is as well.
Let us find the causes and the perpertrators and sort them out.

But as long as they stay under 30mph they can drive forever and never get spotted.

Good point, you'd have thought the authorities would have spotted this untapped source of fine revenue and introduced restrictions of 20mph to address this.

Oh ... never mind ...

As you both know, I'm not actually against speed cameras (bring on the tar and the feathers! :D), but I certainly fully agree that many other forms of bad driving are not being caught out.

In fact, it infuriates me that there is so much of it on the roads, yet there is little enforcement. I'd be in favour of having more traffic cops out there dealing with all kinds of appalling driving.

And people who are clearly not in control of their vehicles or do not master the basics, well there should be a way of revoking their licence and making them go through reeducation and possible even a test again.

Would be a great story if it actually were true, but why let the facts stand in the way of a "great story" about how these "bloody foreigners" come here and "abuse" the roads...

You cannot exchange an Indian driver's license for a British one. If they want a UK licence, they will need to get a GB provisional driving licence and sit a theory and practical driving test.

Here are the countries whose licences you can exchange for a UK one (and where you as a UK citizen can exchange yours for a local one):

Northern Ireland, European Community and European Economic Area countries, Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

Other than Zimbabwe (and it is left as an exercise to the reader to figure out why that one is in the list), I see no third world countries in the list.

Only repeating what I was told by an Indian man and I stated that. Don't shoot the messenger. My apologies if that was wrong. However people can drive for up to a year on a foreign licence, how much a return trip to wherever? Jeez some of the self righteous people on this forum! Have any of you driven in even one third world country? I sat my driving test in Zambia, repeated up to HGV in Zim. I know about Zimbabwe, my nephew walked in, exchanged his Zimbo DL for a UK one and went from empty roads with potholes to motorways. And although he didn't do it, my sister would never have allowed it, you can buy a licence in Zim. And yes, passing a test is easier in third world countries, particularly if you can afford the bribe, or your cousin, uncle, friend is the examiner. I speak from experience, not theory. When I returned to this country I had to sit a UK driving test, and contrary to your statement about having to obtain a provisional, you can sit it while in possession of an International Driving Licence or legitimate foreign licence, I am living proof, no L plates, confused the examiner but perfectly legal.

MBManInKen, your chip on the shoulder is showing, because someone mentions foreigners it doesn't necessarily apply to you. Did I even suggest that 'bloody foreigners' come here and 'abuse the roads'? I would thank you not to try and put words in my mouth. It is a fact, yes a fact, that standards are inevitably lower in third world countries for everything from swimming certificates to university degrees and that includes driving tests. The standard of driver training is higher in the UK than ANY third world country (unless someone has proof to the contrary?). This however does not mean that third world drivers are worse drivers than UK drivers, but the odds are definitely greater that they are.

Last edited:
Only repeating what I was told by an Indian man and I stated that. Don't shoot the messenger.

If I start my reply with "I am only repeating what the nice man at the BNP said" it does not absolve me of spurting the same drivel.

Messenger deserves shooting.

:D

Only repeating what I was told by an Indian man and I stated that.

Oh, how quick we start to hide behind excuses. Even assuming that an Indian man did tell you such rubbish, don't you take any responsibility for propagating such tosh? It would have taken a minute to check the DVLA website and find out the truth about this.

It seems to me that you happily suspended critical thinking about the information given to you in order to publish what you believed to be a juicy story.

If you think I have any sympathy for your lack of critical and independent thinking, you'll have to wait a long time.

However people can drive for up to a year on a foreign licence, how much a return trip to wherever?
I see, after quickly dismissing the previous load of xenophobic rubbish, we're now straight back into more of the same.

Jeez some of the self righteous people on this forum!
Funny how those on the receiving end always label their critics "self-righteous" - is that an easy way to dismiss the issue?

Have any of you driven in even one third world country? I sat my driving test in Zambia, repeated up to HGV in Zim. I know about Zimbabwe, my nephew walked in, exchanged his Zimbo DL for a UK one and went from empty roads with potholes to motorways. And although he didn't do it, my sister would never have allowed it, you can buy a licence in Zim. And yes, passing a test is easier in third world countries, particularly if you can afford the bribe, or your cousin, uncle, friend is the examiner.
And there we go again! Barely have we exposed the last posting, or here you are at it again. Listen, mate, apart from Zimbabwe there is no 3rd world country on the list of countries whose licences you can exhange.

That's not too hard to understand is it?

As for Zimbabwe, you didn't answer the part of my post where I asked you to postulate the reasons why that country is on the list of designated countries.

Frankly, I think that lousy Zimbabwean drivers are the least of the problems on the roads here in the UK, so perhaps you should get off their case and sort the main issues out first?

I speak from experience, not theory.
Whatever you think you speak from, your previous post spoke about nothing but a load of rubbish in terms of facts.

When I returned to this country I had to sit a UK driving test, and contrary to your statement about having to obtain a provisional, you can sit it while in possession of an International Driving Licence or legitimate foreign licence, I am living proof, no L plates, confused the examiner but perfectly legal.
Interesting, but relevant to your incorrect statement about Indians exhanging their licences for UK ones... how??

MBManInKen, your chip on the shoulder is showing,
Ha ha ha! Funny you are! Perhaps it is hard for you to imagine, but I don't need to feel personally agrieved in order to provide repartee in a debate.

because someone mentions foreigners it doesn't necessarily apply to you.
So, are you saying I should only have been offended by your post if it applied to me? Well, I got news for you: it does not work that way. And frankly, last time I checked, it was a free country so no matter how big a chip on the shoulder you imagine I have, I'll happily speak out for my opinions and views and I certainly will not refrain from demonstrating how some story is factually incorrect if I want to.

Did I even suggest that 'bloody foreigners' come here and 'abuse the roads'? I would thank you not to try and put words in my mouth.
Ah yes, of course, you did not use those words. People are these days usually not silly enough to be so blunt. So, I put your story in a more simplistic and rather more blunt way, as a nice illustration of what this really means when push comes to shove.

It might be a sore point, but perhaps it has helped you to comprehend what the consequences are of what you said. Then again, that is not very likely - denial is a more comfortable strategy.

It is a fact, yes a fact, that standards are inevitably lower in third world countries for everything from swimming certificates to university degrees and that includes driving tests.
Ah, there we go again! Apart from those from Zimbabwe (have you figured out yet why that country is different), third world country licences are not exchangeable for UK ones, so it is rather irrelevant how easy they are obtainable over there or whether or not you can buy them from corrupt officials. But no, by all means let's forget about those little details and spew out some more nasty remarks, that might help steer attention away from that other appalling story about Indians in your first post.

More from the same, I see.

Perhaps insurance companys should record the driver licence number when a policy is taken out. Then again, the owner does not have to be the driver or be able to drive themselves.

It is a fact, yes a fact, that standards are inevitably lower in third world countries for everything from swimming certificates to university degrees and that includes driving tests. The standard of driver training is higher in the UK than ANY third world country (unless someone has proof to the contrary?). This however does not mean that third world drivers are worse drivers than UK drivers, but the odds are definitely greater that they are.

Totally disagree. if you define a third world country as primarily african and asian, yes the standard of living is lower than in the first world, but that does not mean that every degree or certificate is of a lower standard.
e.g Most doctors surgeries i know come with MBBS and bds degrees from africa at least in my case in liverpool.
All my surgeries have West african doctors. In a recent poll most patients has voted them most requested ahead of 4 western degree holders, so your generalised statement does not count.
many cases western doctors are better and in other cases africans are better.

bribery occurs in every country including the UK if you can afford it. you can bribe an examiner here for a certificate.
How many people bribe consular officials in croydon for immigration papers? Anoher wrong generalized statement.

As for experience in the third world, i doubt if you are more experienced than me. i lived there for over 20yrs went to university both here and in africa. learnt to drive both here and in africa and believe me i do not know if you have driven on a road with no lights and very many hazards but it tends to make me a much better and patient driver when i drive on better roads like in here.

As for the degrees do not even go there.I have met many brilliant students in this country and i believe the UK our beloved country is one of the most technologically advanced in the world, but likewise i have also met engineering graduates from john moores who do not know whether a car can run on methanol so do not generalise again.
India is now launching nuclear weapons and so is pakistan.
the whole world is catching up.
From my experience the third world is in a state due to the corruption and unaccountability of its leaders not to do with stupidity or lack of education,

personally as for sports ,i have not seen any first world country defeating kenya or ethiopia at marathons have we?
And when next an Indian tells you that, tell him you are not so sure about that.
Now if an american had told you that i am sure you would have disagreed.
Has that got something to do with the country then?

Last edited:
No hard feelings but i do not think maninken has any chip on his shoulder whatsoever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom