Driving the wrong way on the motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The other very important reasons for closing the road on both sides include the following:

Emergency responders may have to use and stop on the opposite carriageway to reach the incident

If a fatality has occurred it is inappropriate to allow the public to gawp at the scene and potentially post images on social media before next of kin have been informed

There is a significant chance of additional collisions on the other side due to people gawping at the incident rather than paying attention to their driving

I attended an incident on that very stretch of dual carriageway some years ago and , before the road could be closed , there was an additional multi vehicle pile up on the other side due to rubbernecking ; and despite me placing my van in the fend off position with blue lights operating , so that it could be seen before the bend , around which there was a car on its roof with casualty trapped inside , there were idiots dodging around my van , back into the outside lane , then finding ambulance , fire and police vehicles just beyond and out of sight ; not to mention the artic driver who almost jack knifed by braking at the last moment , despite my purposefully positioning my van where it could be seen from a mile back rather than the hundred or so yards visibility from around the bend to the crash .

Often the public need protection from themselves.

I think the Police closing roads often goes too far so I would tend some way towards the French approach. Why not close one or two lanes on the far carriageway which would slow the traffic right down but at least keep it moving.

As for the driver who killed the Motorcyclist I hope they put him away for a long time.

Agreed - totally. This is in no way a popat the police who I generally admire and respect, but a look ito whether guidelines and policies were followed and what if any improvements - including staffing levels - should be considered.
And I’m not naive to the reality of the situation.
But it would be useful to learn exactly why the member of public was so concerned that he contacted the police.
Hypothetical, I know, but if I reported someone who hit my car whilst under the influence of alcohol, I would reasonably expect a response. If none were forthcoming, and the same person was involved in a crash that killed three people, again under the influence of alcohol, it would not be unreasonable to expect a review of how it could happen.
Unfortunately these days, expectations and reality are poles apart.

The thing is ... something objective like a blood alcohol level is easy enough, but assessing whether someone is mentally OK to drive is rather more of a challenge! The vast majority of time there are no serious consequences, but there's always the potential for an accident like this to happen. I really don't know what the answer is.

Reactions: Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom