Driving to Australia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swannymere

Car
1994 S124 E300d
I'm planning to take a year out in 2015/16 and drive to Australia. I want to take my 94 W124 E300d Saloon (124k-ish miles):D

A) Is the car up to the task and what modifications should i expect to make?
B) What's the best route?
C) What problems do i need to overcome?

Any advice, positive or negative is appreciated.

There are a few challenges that take £100 bangers to East Russia/China. They usually last 2-3 weeks taking things slowly and looking around... The W124 should do it no problem if it's looked after. The only modifications I would be looking at are an under-engine guard, maybe an extended fuel tank and a better quality sound system (hours with crappy music are not fun!).

I would do Northern Europe, Russia, somehow avoid China (car import regulations are dreadful) and then go south from there.

Sounds like a fantastic experience... when are you planning on leaving? Make sure you spend a good 3-6 months sorting our visa's, car documentation etc...

If you're looking for someone to help with the planning, I've spent some time planning the Timbuktu Challenge, and can put you in touch with people doing similar things, including a 20-countries in 20-days challenge (Europe & Asia if I remember well), London-Muanmarsk Banger Rallies, and Silk Route (to east china) challenges... all in £100 bangers...

M.

EDIT: Ignore anyone who says it's not doable :p I was told that several times when I said I was driving an underpowered C180 to Timbuktu :p

Your biggest problem will be red tape and car import regulations. I'm not sure how australia deals with it, but most contries don't take kindly to old cars being imported without taxes being paid... some want you to leave the equivalent of a multiple (1.5x - 3x depending on country) of value of the car as a deposit to make sure you don't resell the car locally. Visa's could be a problem too, but with planning can be worked out.

Cost will play a huge role. I estimate your main costs will come from :
- Fuel & Accomodation
- Insurance for each country
- Import taxes, VISAs & legal wrangling
(-Speeding tickets? :p)

Last edited:
I would do Northern Europe, Russia, somehow avoid China (car import regulations are dreadful) and then go south from there.

I'd advise looking at a map before you try this...

Follow these guys:

http://www.odysseyoverland.co.uk/lon-oz-2011.htm

France, Belgium, Germany, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Tibet, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Australia in a Mercedes Benz or MAN overland truck

I've already done a little research and the most popular are
UK, France, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey

And then either - Iran, Pakistan, India and Nepal or

Georgia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Krygyzstan, China,

And then - Tibet, China, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore

Boat to Indonesia

Boat to Australia

Reckon this would take 4 months in a rush or a year if taking in the sights.

I'd advise looking at a map before you try this...

Have a look here:
The Plymouth-Dakar Challenge - Official Web Site

Specifically, the Silk-Road Challenge...

Or the mongolia one here; http://www.charityrallies.org/

http://roofoftheworld.charityrallies.org/node/6107

I'll get the link for the Eastern Russian one tonight... I was talking to the organisers on Saturday as we were at the launch party for the Timbuktu Challenge together. They were trying to convince me that driving to Chernobyl wasn't so insane, and the "wine tunnels" in Eastern Europe were fantastic...

M.

EDIT: Again, I would recomend staying way from China:
http://www.charityrallies.org/visas/china
•It is exceedingly difficult/impossible to drive a motor vehicle indipendantly in China. The only way past rally teams have been able to drive in China is through very expensive guided tours. This is due to restrictions on driving in China and the need for a Chinese numberplate and a Chinese driving licence. If anyone has any information to the contrary please inform us!
•Chinese visa regulations stipulate the need for a copy of flight tickets in and out of the country, in addition to a hotel booking for the duration of the stay. This is not always enforced, however these documents may be required at certain embassies or at certain times (e.g. during the 2008 Beijing Olympic games).

Last edited:
which route did the London to Sydney rally take in the past ? look it up - what a great adventure !

Do you want a mechanic - just need all the expenses paid - food, accommodation etc.

London to Sydney went through Afghanistan which unfortunately is a no-no, i'm giving myself plenty of time (five years!) to get everything organised as having the correct documentation (for the car and myself) is half the battle IMHO. All i was going to do to the car was

a) Next time i replace the shock absorbers and springs i'll do it with heavier duty items.
b) Re-new the Brake system.
c) Carry two spare wheels and fit new commercial tyres all round
d) Fit guards over the lights, radiator and sump.
e) Possibly get a fuel tank fabricated to fit into the space under the rear headrests and the part of the boot behind the rear seat. (I've a mate who can weld like a demon!)
f) Have a major service!

I'm planning on taking along a likeminded passenger (possibly my brother) to help with the unexpected. I'm just thinking through various scenarios and ideas to come up with the best solution for me.

How can you plan to take someone to deal with the unexpected if you don't know what the unexpected is?:dk:

I've just finished reading a book by a chap called Peter Moore who did the exact same journey ( and route ) that you have laid out , but on foot / car / bus - avoiding flying at all costs.

It's do able and took him the best part of a year. Have a read of the book if you can , it's funny and quite informative.

The Wrong Way Home ? Peter Moore

take a couple of air jacks with you... I used to sell them on ebay and I sold loads to guys doing this sort of trek... Basically an airbag that you connect to the exhaust that lifts the car up and can be used on any terrain.

Are you sure you didn't mean Austria?:( I once dreamt about driving to Australia, but I remember driving across the border from New Zealand, so maybe my advice would not be worth taking:bannana:

Good luck!

I've just finished reading a book by a chap called Peter Moore who did the exact same journey ( and route ) that you have laid out , but on foot / car / bus - avoiding flying at all costs.

It's do able and took him the best part of a year. Have a read of the book if you can , it's funny and quite informative.

The Wrong Way Home ? Peter Moore

Already read, have you read his scooter books?

I drove overland to Nepal and that went via Turkey, Syria, Jordan, back up into Syria, then into Iran, Pakistan, India and then Nepal and then all the way around India.....the border area between Iran and Pakistan was interesting to say the least...basically the road ended in Iran and then was just open desert in Pakistan and you just followed tracks for days on end.

Thats the most direct route but its a No No now unless you fancy life on the wild side, as the road takes you right through some of the "now" dodgiest area's of Pakistan...ie right up next to the border with Afganistan through Baluchistan area of Pakistan

Safest (although there is not much in it) would be through the ex Soviet bloc states, but you may well find it hard to get visa's in places like Laos to take your car through.

Whatever you end up doing it will be an experience you will never forget....simply fantastic what you see, experience (good and bad) and suffer!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom