Driving to Belgium tomorrow, and can't find my V5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Driving to Belgium tomorrow, and I can't find my V5 anywhere :doh:

I've got my proof of insurance / drivers licence etc.

Is this likely to be an issue?

Why do you think you need it? I've never, ever brought the V5 with me anywhere.

I guess I'll have to tip the house upside down and find it then

A V5 isn't proof if ownership anyway tho?

If stopped by the police abroad you'll have to provide some kind of proof you are entitled to drive that car.
You must have v5, valid insurance and mot for driving the car abroad. Since the tax disks are scrapped I also always have with me a proof of ved payment, just in case somebody asks.

clk320x said:
I guess I'll have to tip the house upside down and find it then A V5 isn't proof if ownership anyway tho?
They don't care who is the owner but who is entitled to drive it.

If stopped by the police abroad you'll have to provide some kind of proof you are entitled to drive that car.
You must have v5, valid insurance and mot for driving the car abroad. Since the tax disks are scrapped I also always have with me a proof of ved payment, just in case somebody asks.

Why does UK VED matter abroad?

It doesn't matter to them that's true but when we had disks every time I got stopped by the police abroad they looked in my disk while checking my documents. Because of that I always carry a proof of payment now. I think they looked at it because our v5 is dateless in validity terms.

It doesn't matter to them that's true but when we had disks every time I got stopped by the police abroad they looked in my disk while checking my documents. Because of that I always carry a proof of payment now. I think they looked at it because our v5 is dateless in validity terms.

Why were you stopped frequently?

DrFeelgood said:
Why were you stopped frequently?
I wouldn't say frequently but as I have traveled a lot through the continent it happened that I was stopped. Standard road checks, nothing serious.
Good evening sir, documents please.
Here you are
Thank you good bye.
That sort of checks.

Risk management

Just take the insurance cover and plenty of (irrelevant) car ownership stuff (Service invoices, whatever)

And an innocent smile.

It's a 0.000001% chance.

Well I've tipped the house upside down and the bugger is still missing..

Just take the insurance cover and plenty of (irrelevant) car ownership stuff (Service invoices, whatever)

And an innocent smile.

It's a 0.000001% chance.

Haha yep I've got a folder full of rubbish

Hopefully won't get pulled over anyway :D

Bring it if you can find it.

Don't **** the bed of you can't find it though. I've been going over there for years and personally haven't been stopped. My mate has though and it helped that he had his v5.

I must admit I have never taken one with me on my frequent trips abroad.

What if it's a lease car you would not have the V5.

Worry not I'm sure you will be fine.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got stopped once in Germany with the caravan behind. Unlike over there we have no separate registration system for trailers. They wanted to see proof that the caravan was mine. It just confused things further that the reg plate on the van was the same as the car (which it isn't over there). Mucho phone calls later to their HQ finally saw us on our way but not without much vooomphing on their part.

Cheers guys, going to have to chance it.

I've never been stopped abroad, but after a loony Greek decided that my side of the road was preferable to his, ran into the front of my Disco and wrote it off, the police were most interested in all my paperwork, including the V5. Actually, it was the passport they were most interested in, which was in the villa at the time, and they got the raging hump that I didn't have it in my possession. They were appeased when I sent someone to the villa to get the passport.

Cops in Europe have boxes to tick and I personally, would not take the risk without the correct paperwork. It doesn't matter how relevant we think the various bits of paper are......the police do think them relevant and that's what matters.

Why does UK VED matter abroad?
The reason the VED might matter abroad is because it gives them an idea if the car has been in the country over the prescribed legal limit which is a maximum of 6 months in any one year.
If the VED is not paid, there is a very good chance the car does not have a valid MOT, which means the car does not have valid insurance and has been there for longer than allowed.
The Spanish especially are red hot on this and have been for around 10 years as it allows them to levy spurious fines and charge (illegal) importation fees and impound fees for overage vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom