Driving to Europe ... Headlight deflectors required?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xp2500

Car
2002 C class coupe w203
Hi all

I am planning to take my w203 2002 C class coupe accross the euro tunnel to france / belgium / holland :bannana: for a after wedding stag party :D

I just wanted to know if you need to put stickers on the lights or if it is already suitable for driving in europe.

Also any other advise for first time driving in europe would be appreciated.

Thanks

Halogen or xenon? For xenons, there's a lever inside the lamp unit to mask the beam. If they're halogen reflectors, then it's stick-on deflector time.

Other advice: don't exceed the speed limit; ensure you have the required kit (GB sticker or GB'd numberplates, hi-vis vest per passenger inside the car, spare glasses if you wear glasses, first aid kit, breathalysers etc).

Last edited:
I know most Mercs have a Warning Tri-angle, but that is also another requirement.

I know that I'm a bit of a pedant but your title "Driving to Europe" seems to ignore the fact the British Isles are geographically, culturally and politically part of the european continent. Also the only other european country that we can actually drive to is the Irish Republic.

Sorry.

I know that I'm a bit of a pedant but your title "Driving to Europe" seems to ignore the fact the British Isles are geographically, culturally and politically part of the european continent. Also the only other european country that we can actually drive to is the Irish Republic.

Sorry.

The problem with that statement is that no one else in Europe believes that, when someone in "Europe" says Europe what they means is everything apart from the British Isles.

I suppose the Kentucky hillbillies still consider themselves "outside" of the USA, as well. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

My lights are Halegon so I have got myself a deflector kit.
I also have got a GB Sticker as I do not have a euro license plate.
I have some spare bulbs in the boot ( no idea if they fit my car:) thank you poundland )
Warning triangle is in the boot so thank you grumpyoldgit .

Thanks to everyone who posted.

As for the Europe thing I think the majority got it. I think its just the UK is the one of the few (if not only ) country in europe that you drive on the left....
That and what other members have already stated :)

Wish me luck.... will be departing at around 4am tomorrow

Def gonna need a full set of spare bulbs for your car, a hi vis jacket for every passenger in the car, first aid kit and warning triangle.
For the cost of them I would say go for the headlamp stickers, better to be safe than sorry.
Also you need to make sure you have a breathalyser kit in the car.

All of the above are legal requirements and are non negotiable when it come to the authorities in France

To be honest though you get a check list type thing when you get to the ferry port/tunnel port anyway.

Oh and one final thing, just remeber that any points that you maybe unlucky enough to pick up for speeding in France WILL be applicable in the UK and will be put onto your licence.

Bummer I know!

any points that you maybe unlucky enough to pick up for speeding in France WILL be applicable in the UK and will be put onto your licence.
They're not and they won't be. However...

Tolerance levels for speeding in France are much lower than in the UK, at +3% for fixed cameras and +7% for mobile devices. Enforcement is very common, and fines are heavy. Best advice is stick to the limits. Oh, and bearing in mind the function of the trip, remember also that the drink-drive limit over there is roughly 50% of that over here. It's very easy to be over the limit the next day after a heavy session the night before.

Have a great trip :thumb:

Take care on roundabouts, a car or lorry in the outer lane may not be taking the next exit but will be quite happy to take the 4th exit using the outside lane all the way round.

Priorite adroit, or whatever it's called? I've travelled thousands of miles in France and still don't get when it applies or doesn't. One of the craziest laws ever made. Look out for the yellow or yellow/black diamonds, I can never remember which means what though!

Russ

Driving Abroad

Touring tips, country by country | AA

I would strongly recommend reading the AA advice for all the countries you will pass through. As it is winter, any comments about winter tyres should be heeded. In France, the latest wheeze is to require you to carry 2 breathalysers in the car. Halfrauds do a cheap set which are approved by the French Authorities. Driving in Europe is a bit of a mine field these days what with all the different requirements. The French have really tightened up on driving enforcement so be careful. Follow all the rules, especially the speed limits and you should be fine. if you get stopped for speeding in France, I bet they will check the other requirements as well and fine the hell out of you if you don't have all the bits and pieces.

Fuel is bl**dy expensive in Holland and parking in Amsterdam (I assume) is a PITA unless you have it pre-arranged (like a hotel on site car park).

Def gonna need a full set of spare bulbs for your car, a hi vis jacket for every passenger in the car, first aid kit and warning triangle.
For the cost of them I would say go for the headlamp stickers, better to be safe than sorry.
Also you need to make sure you have a breathalyser kit in the car.

All of the above are legal requirements and are non negotiable when it come to the authorities in France

To be honest though you get a check list type thing when you get to the ferry port/tunnel port anyway.

Oh and one final thing, just remeber that any points that you maybe unlucky enough to pick up for speeding in France WILL be applicable in the UK and will be put onto your licence.

Bummer I know!

Only one hi-vis jacket is required, but it must be readily available to the driver.

A first aid kit is only obligatory in Belgium.

Drivers of cars without a breathalyser in France will not be fined before the 1st March 2013 (there just aren't enough of them to go round).

Breathalysers are readily available on the ferry. Or at least there were in September when i was last over in France

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom