Driving to S Bavaria & Austria

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pembssurf

Car
toyota
Doing a trip in the middle of May from Wales to Bavaria romantic road and onto Innsbruck before heading home. Got 12 days total. Going on channel tunnel around midnight the same day we finish work and route has got me going via E40 around Brussels and then on to somewhere south of Munich. Looking at one sleep/motel stop somewhere between Calais and Brussels then onto Wurzburg by 4pmish the next day. Anyone done this route before? A lot to cram in 12 days but any tips would be appreciated. Cheers!

I always avoid the Motorways around Brussels, it's always a hammered nightmare. We're off over that way in July and intend to skirt through northern France before heading up.

I do this fairly regular to Trostberg in Bavaria. Brussels ring is definitely the best route I've tried them all you just have to be careful what time you hit it.

Not sure where you want to stop but Trostberg and Rossenheim are really nice places. Pfaubrau hotel in Trostberg is really good plenty of local craft beers and great Bavarian food

I agree that the Brussels ring is the best option. Other routes either add miles or tolls or both.

Don't forget to buy your motorway vignette before entering Austria. Get caught without one and the fines are eye-watering.

The Romantic Road can be slow going and frustrating due to the volume of tourist traffic in the summer and at weekends, but it should be quieter in May. Personally, I preferred the Alpine Road.

If you're intending to go into any of the bigger German towns and cities then you should also get yourself a Umweltplakette (emissions sticker).

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. Yup heard of conflicting info regarding the ring road. I would like to get my head down in a motel or hotel in a service area along the way around Brussels as it will be well after midnight. However I'm guessing I want to be no where near this area come 9am? Thinking of booking a premier inn I'm Folkestone and leaving on a 6:30train instead and just hammering the drive to Wurzburg in one go.

Will my Mobilo cover on a full MBSH 2011 C-class be enough on its own as a breakdown recovery?

Done this route numerous times. Brussels ring is fine if you avoid rush hour. There to Wurzburg is a good autobahn run that should take about 4 to 5 hours assuming no jams.

You can do Folkestone Wurzburg in a day - I did with a friend, but we were knackered badly by the time we got there. On my own nowadays I tend to break my journey from Nuremburg at Bruges as any greater distance I find too much.

Rothenburg aub ob de Tauber is very picturesque, we stopped there a few years ago en route to Austria and on (in our Mx5!) . We found the romantic road fine in May.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Rothenburg ob de Tauber is very picturesque
It is. It's worth sitting in the town square with a good view of the clock to see its party piece on the hour from 11am until 5pm. There's also a pretty fascinating Mediaeval Crime Museum there that's worth a visit.

I can recommend following hotel near Brugge for overnight stop. It's just by motorway and have very good standard. I arrived there around midnight and room was waiting for me.

Van Der Valk Hotel Brugge Oostkamp
Kapellestraat 146
8020 Oostkamp
Belgium

I agree, Rothenburg ob der Tauber is very nice. I also like Wurzburg. You can get there non-stop from Folkstone no problem. I did it before.

Garmisch Partenkirche is nice place in the Alps to stop on a way back from Austria. I can recommend trip on cable car to top of the highest mountain in Germany and walk along the lake below it.
IMG_1003.JPG

Rothenburg:
IMG_8400_.jpg

Wurzburg:
IMG_8159.JPG

Last edited:
We always go round the R0 (Brussels ring). It's basically the same as the M25 - OK most of the time (even in the rush hour), but a nightmare if there's a pile-up.

Looking at one sleep/motel stop somewhere between Calais and Brussels then onto Wurzburg by 4pmish the next day. Anyone done this route before?

That should be fine.

We go to Leonberg which is approx. 150 km further south and do that with just a single brief fuel/food/toilet stop ... in Germany on the way out, and Belgium on the way back. You obviously get a break on the train too - we take a packed meal (just rolls etc.) to eat during the crossing. I don't find it too bad leaving at around 5AM - we used to drive overnight but it's hard work in the dark, even though there's less traffic. We're about 2 hours from the Eurotunnel at this end.

We have actually done it non-stop from Calais to Leonberg (after brimming the tank at the last services before Folkestone).

Hey guys,

Need a bit of clarification following Phil's posts (thanks for the heads-up, Phil :thumb:).

So, about the German emission badges and Vignette for Austrian motorways/ express routes..

Later in the year, I will be heading directly to the Alps from the top of the black forest.
The route has me passing the bottom of Stuttgart and taking me through Ulm in Germany and then through Austria, on the way to Italy.

These emissions badges seem to be pretty well documented online, yet I have never heard of this before, my MB dealers know nothing about it and I cannot recall this ever being an issue when travelling through Germany.

Austrian Vignette.
This seems to have been introduced very recently (since Dec 2015) unless I'm mistaken.

I won't be in Austria long as I'm just passing through to get to Italy.
Looks like I will be using the A13 and a bit of the A12 in Austria.

I guess I'm going to have to get the Vignette for Austria as fines seem to be heavy (as also stated by Phil).

But do people bother with the German emissions badge?
It seems that most people know nothing about it or don't bother?!

We have the German emissions disc as we go there regularly. No idea what the chance of being stopped and fined is if you don't have one ... I guess most risky if you are parked in a zone.

We have the German emissions disc as we go there regularly. No idea what the chance of being stopped and fined is if you don't have one ... I guess most risky if you are parked in a zone.

Agreed. More risky if parked or spending any reasonable length of time there.

Never even knew about this and never had any issues before.
Really not sure what to do.
We'll literally be passing through - skimming the bottom of Stuttgart, but actually passing through the town of Ulm (which is on their sticker hit-list :rolleyes:).
It's only a small town.
Maybe down a couple of cogs and full throttle?
Get the hell outta there quick?
lol

Maybe down a couple of cogs and full throttle?
Get the hell outta there quick?
lol

That would increase emissions though... :thumb:

I too never heard of these... are they only required for major cities ?

Il risk 40 euros for not getting one. Then I don't intend driving into any city centres

I have mine. Only around a fiver, done through the post. More and more places are requiring them, not just city centres.

The Austrian motorway vignette has been around for quite a while, I bought one for the bike last July. Don't forget Switzerland too if any motorways are used then one is required however their one is a 13 month affair.

Last edited:
Austrian Vignette.
This seems to have been introduced very recently (since Dec 2015) unless I'm mistaken.

I won't be in Austria long as I'm just passing through to get to Italy.
Looks like I will be using the A13 and a bit of the A12 in Austria.
The Austrian Motorway Vignette has been around for quite a few years now - at least 14 as I first needed one when I visited Austria in 2002!

The A13 is actually a special toll route for which you don't need a vignette, however you do need one for the A12 - see here and look at the section on Special Tolls :rolleyes:

The good news is that unlike Switzerland where you have no choice but to buy an annual vignette, the Austrians do short-period ones with the shortest being 10 days at €8.80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom