Driving to the South of France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jokuk

Car
E Class 350D 2010 (W212/207) Convertible
Hi All

Off to the South of France soon via the tunnel , early start on Sunday with a return late two weeks later. Thanks to this forum I have my toll tag next question.

I am heading down to near Perpignan, basically have the choice of two routes, one via the Paris ring road and the other via Reims (40 miles longer and 20 mins longer)

As there will be 3 adults and 4 children I was hoping for the less stress free route and hoping to do it in one hit (petrol, food, WC stops allowed)

anyone done this recently, any preferences advice

last time I came back around Paris (admittedly at 5pm on a week night it was murder and I missed my tunnel slot)

Thanks in advance

Last two trips I have gone via Reims, did the Paris ring road once (in a Lotus Elise) and whilst it was "interesting" I decided I wasn't keen on doing it again!

Last two trips I have gone via Reims, did the Paris ring road once (in a Lotus Elise) and whilst it was "interesting" I decided I wasn't keen on doing it again!

Thanks jkelly, my instinct is to avoid Paris, just thought it may be quieter on a Sunday :thumb:

My car is a 14 plate E300 AMG Sport, and now has 20k miles on :rock:

Thanks jkelly, my instinct is to avoid Paris, just thought it may be quieter on a Sunday :thumb:
While I would normally advise going the Reims route, as you'd be traversing Paris late on Sunday morning I'm not so sure I wouldn't go that way instead. It's certainly shorter (by around 40 miles) and around €27 cheaper in tolls too.

Do this, well as far as Beziers anyway, several times a year. Paris - Orleans - Clermont Ferrand - Millau Bridge every time. This route is cheaper - no tolls after Clermont Ferrand - and its very rare that I have a problem with Paris. If it worries you then you could go via Rouen to Orleans, although that does involve some single track roads.

Do this, well as far as Beziers anyway, several times a year. Paris - Orleans - Clermont Ferrand - Millau Bridge every time. This route is cheaper - no tolls after Clermont Ferrand - and its very rare that I have a problem with Paris. If it worries you then you could go via Rouen to Orleans, although that does involve some single track roads.

I have a pal lives in Clermont Ferrand and thats the route I use too, never had any dramas around Paris but make sure I dont hit it at rush hour :thumb:

Weekends in France in August - southbound on Saturdays early in the month and northbound on sundays later on - can be really, really, really awful - traffic crawling for hundreds of kilometres. You'll probably be OK going south on a Sunday and coming back two weeks later might not be so bad. HGVs will be banned though, very probably. I would be checking a few websites looking for traffic warnings if it were me. I try to travel on weekdays in the summer.

I do the journey usually twice annually, and these days always go via Reims.

Just to add my bit, having done this journey many times in the last few years, no matter what time of day I hit Paris, I get stuck for a couple of hours.

Last time on the way home I timed it to hit Paris around 3am thinking it would be plain sailing. How wrong was I, the "terriferique" was closed for repairs and a diversion was in place. Ever seen a French diversion sign? A yellow arrow about a foot long stuck in the grass pointing to a diversion route that is nigh on impossible to follow. The centre of Paris was full of traffic going round in circles as everyone was lost, adding another couple of hours on to the journey again.

Incidentally, stuck on the periforique for any length of time starts off quite amusing watching cars change lanes constantly even though none of them are moving any quicker. Then the scooter boys come through at 60mph missing static cars by inches, after a while even full size Honda Goldwings are doing the same and you will sit with your finger on the folding mirror button in readiness every time before your mirrors are knocked off. Inevitably, bikes filtering at high speed and cars constantly changing lanes can only lead to one outcome and you will see an ambulance picking someone up off the road sooner or later.

Russ

Done both routes many times and have been very lucky in Paris. No problems for me but have passed stationery traffic on the other side for mile after mile. It could be you!

Don't gamble - go Reims, but it could still be a twelve hour drive excluding the English side. With three adults and four children, that's a lot of weeing.

Just to add my bit, having done this journey many times in the last few years, no matter what time of day I hit Paris, I get stuck for a couple of hours.

Last time on the way home I timed it to hit Paris around 3am thinking it would be plain sailing. How wrong was I, the "terriferique" was closed for repairs and a diversion was in place. Ever seen a French diversion sign? A yellow arrow about a foot long stuck in the grass pointing to a diversion route that is nigh on impossible to follow. The centre of Paris was full of traffic going round in circles as everyone was lost, adding another couple of hours on to the journey again.

Incidentally, stuck on the periforique for any length of time starts off quite amusing watching cars change lanes constantly even though none of them are moving any quicker. Then the scooter boys come through at 60mph missing static cars by inches, after a while even full size Honda Goldwings are doing the same and you will sit with your finger on the folding mirror button in readiness every time before your mirrors are knocked off. Inevitably, bikes filtering at high speed and cars constantly changing lanes can only lead to one outcome and you will see an ambulance picking someone up off the road sooner or later.

Russ

Ditto all of the above, I had a look at the cars around me and was unsurprised to see so many dented panels - often several per car.

Yep Reims.

Unless you plan to stop in Paris, I'd avoid it.

A close skiing buddy of mine leave his home in the midlands here at 3am and is at his Ski apartment near Meribel at 4pm the next day... Not sure how he manages that without attracting the gendarme but he does it very regularly.

He also goes via Reims very time.

I have done it once via reims but too much for us in one hit.. we stopped the night at reims and carried on following morning.

I plan to do this sometime in the future. I've been down the south many times as a passenger but not as a driver.

What are the chances of being caught speeding? I have an ML63 now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom