Driving to the South of France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only way I could get nicked is by a following check or the old timed between two toll booths trick then i admit it's my own stupidity

Urban myth I'm afraid, no-one is timed between toll booths. The police will wait after a toll booth and pull you in but that's only because they had a speed trap several miles earlier.

Russ

I've been stopped by Police and customs quite a few times in France when driving a lorry. Nobody has ever asked to check my sat nav and I don't know anyone who has been asked.

Arrived this morning averaging 100mph flashed several times and is all good!!!

Just returned from Perpignan.

1. Paris both ways. Thursday night @ 10pm was busy but moving. Saturday 2pm was fine - busy but free-flowing.

2. Plenty of radar traps about.

3. Generally cruised at 75mph / 110kph. Average speeds on the motorways seems to have dropped recently and it only seems to be the brits driving like loonies nowadays.

Decided on arrival that I'm too old (and with a big 4x4) for one hit down south, so stopped off in Orleans on the way home. £55/room in the city centre was a no-brainer, and it was a much more pleasant trip (although not as nice as when I had the E...).

Oh, yes - and at this time of year the toll tag is invaluable. It's amusing to be overtaken 2 or 3 times by the same car because they sat in toll queues and we whizz through the auto-toll lanes.

I like these commets.

the authorities say. They are gearing up for a bumper summer

French police predict they will collect a total of €1.73bn (£1.38bn) in speeding fines in 2014, up from €1.66bn last year.

The pelotons motorisés have taken to examining the manifests of trains and ferries, checking for high-powered sports cars that they suspect might be more prone to speeding, and deploying squads of officers to target them.

Buying tickets for the Channel crossing at the last minute won’t help. “We only need 20 minutes to set up a speed check,” says Derudder. As it takes at least 30 minutes to cross the Channel, we have plenty of time.”

LOL...Result...

Last edited:
This might explain why I found so many French drivers hogging the outer lane at exactly the speed limit, selfish sods. I checked in at my ferry with just a minute to spare.

Continental driving is no fun anymore.

Charles Morgan said:
This might explain why I found so many French drivers hogging the outer lane at exactly the speed limit, selfish sods. I checked in at my ferry with just a minute to spare. Continental driving is no fun anymore.
I found French drivers to be much better than the English ones not to mention their motorways are so much better. I do love France.

This might explain why I found so many French drivers hogging the outer lane at exactly the speed limit, selfish sods. I checked in at my ferry with just a minute to spare.

Continental driving is no fun anymore.

The French do like a protest against officialdom; maybe they were doing that and the by-product was no ticket for you!

"As revealed last month in Driving,
a new law being drawn up by the European Commission
will allow French police to track down British drivers from next May.
And then there really will be no escape for British speeders."

Hmmm :eek:

With 7 up and a roof box in my 1.6 diesel kia, if I get caught speeding, I want a medal and them to pay me !!

130+50=180kph or 110mph so I'll be safe!!:D

Nice to see nobody has thrown a hissy fit about the speed, as some would do if you admit to doing 85mph in the U.K..

Brief update a successful trip, around 13 hours each way, not too many wee stops ( from to Calais ) motorways fairly clear, the toll tag was brilliant, if anyone is travelling through France get one! Also I was pretty impressed with the Kia to be fair, it coped well over 1,800 miles ( and no speeding......) the only problem was the euro tunnel on the way back, 9pm sat evening, took over 2 hours to just check in, will take the advice previously given and book mid week next time.

Just got the toll tag statement and bank statement through costs were
£170 tolls, £300 diesel, £140 for the tunnel - total around £600 not bad for 7 people on an 1,800 round trip.

My brother in law drove my wife's X5 40D M Sport at well over 100mph on the Autoroute between Chamonix and Rheims and a beaten up Peugeot 306 came alongside us and the driver waved for us to slow down, flashing a police armband. Not sure whether it helped or hindered us, but the nephews were in the back and the older ones had taught the 4 year old how to give a one fingered salute, and he chose that moment to do it in the Peugeot's direction. We didn't get pulled though he did follow us for quite some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom