Driving to the Swiss Alps (ZERMATT)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
Folks

Am thinking of skiing in Zermatt over the New Year holidays. I want to drive there but am nervous about being able to get the car all the way to the resort apartment without snow chains (these are not allowed on my 17" AMGs and I do not have any other wheels).

Any thoughts/suggestions anyone?

Thanks mucho,
SEAN

I think steel wheels are cheap (money not taste) - its just the rubber bits that are expensive. Have you driven alot in snow before? Yes, the trip would be wonderful, but perhaps discretion is the better part of valour in this case?
Rgds
Les

the swiss, gnomes that they are, are incredibly efficient, and it is unlikely that you will need chains.

thousands of people do this trip every week, coaches do it...

if theres a blizzard, park up in a nearby town, and get the train up....

I drive to a small resort in france every year, and have yet to need chains.

Are you sure slim chains will not fit? You might be able to hire a set to find out. The Car Park at Zermatt can be hit by avalanches, so keep an eye on the weather if travelling in the late season.

If travelling to France remember that in the ski resorts it is a legal requirement to posses a set of snow chains.

You could perhaps buy yourself a set of snow tyres and simply swop them over. You do not have to buy new wheels. Of course if you do this thing on a more regular basis then it might be worthwhile to save money on tyre changing, and buy a set. Your car might also require shorter bolts if you buy steels. Don't forget the wheel trims cost too. You could well be better off buying a slimmer set of alloys from ebay.

Have a look at the Michelin website. Pilot Alpins 2 are high perormance tyres that are really quiet and handle well on the dry too. I have tried lots of winter tyres, and so far these are the best ones for dual use.

Travelling in early season (late Dec) so avalanche risk should be minimal re:Zermatt carpark. Can't buy winter wheels/tyres as I do not have space to store them, nor will I use them much -- last drove to the Alps (French) 8 years ago, had snow chains but did not use them.

There is very little clearance at the front between the wheels (17" AMGs) and the arches, so even slim chains may be problematic. It also says not to use chains in the instruction manual.

I will probably just take my chances, and park up nearby if we can't get to resort. Problem is what happens if I can't get out of the resort ... But I think (and hope!) the Swiss are quite good at keeping resort roads open.

C240Sport97 said:
. Problem is what happens if I can't get out of the resort ... But I think (and hope!) the Swiss are quite good at keeping resort roads open.

then you need an Actros Ice tool :D :p

C240Sport97 said:
There is very little clearance at the front between the wheels (17" AMGs) and the arches, so even slim chains may be problematic.
I checked out the diameters of the tyres:

195/65/15: 634mm
205/55/16: 632mm
225/45/17: 634mm
245/40/17: 628mm

So the 15" steels with tyres are exactly the same size as the 17" AMGs with tyres. The arch gap would be the same for the fronts, with staggered rims the rears are SMALLER than the 15" steels with tyres by 4mm!

that's weird ... there is such a very small gap at the front ...

I just checked a W202 facelift Sport (with standard 16" alloys) in the garage downstairs and the gap (front and rear) is about the same. The difference is that my wheels sit much further out front and rear and therefore the diagonal distance between the top of the tyre and the top of the wheel arch is smaller by about 50%.

Shude said:
I checked out the diameters of the tyres:

195/65/15: 634mm
205/55/16: 632mm
225/45/17: 634mm
245/40/17: 628mm

So the 15" steels with tyres are exactly the same size as the 17" AMGs with tyres. The arch gap would be the same for the fronts, with staggered rims the rears are SMALLER than the 15" steels with tyres by 4mm!

What about using these:

http://www.efekt-sg.si/snowcat/04.htm

Made from plastic, possibly good for alloys.

In Hungary these are sold by Thule.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom