Driving too close on motorway

Discussion in 'Driving/Incidents/Roadrage' started by Dizz, Mar 16, 2019 at 3:47 PM.

1. Dizz

Dizz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK320 (w209)
    I do quite a lot of driving these days up and down the county in cars vans and occasionally 7.5 ton lorries, Ive been driving for 38 years and consider myself an experienced capable driver, obviously I’m not the very best like a trained police driver, but good and competent.

Someone posted on Facebook the other day asking why there are so many accidents on the motorway especially when traffic is moving the same way and it prompted me to consider the question.

The answer I believe is complex with many factors but mainly it’s simple......People drive too close!

Example
    I drove home yesterday afternoon and nearly crashed my hired Mondeo yesterday on the m40 because a knob in a BMW tourer was arguing with another car and decided to brake test him in the outside lane!! the dominos effect happened (I had enough stopping distance) he then pulled over so as to get along side to remonstrate out of the window whilst the traffic mayhem unfolded behind him, he (BMW) was later observed hammering along in lane two at about 90mph in heavy traffic trying to overtake everyone and make up ground I guess to have another go at the other driver.

Now I can only guess he was being hassled by the car behind him driving too close, he obviously considered he had a fast car and took offence to this, now he was offended but didn’t give a monkeys about everybody else behind and how his manoeuvre was going to effect them.
    I had 20 minutes earlier had same problem with a car (red Mercedes) literally inches off of my bumper trying to force me over I was doing the speed limit and waiting for a gap to pullover into, no point in pushing me I could not go anywhere at that point but I did not decide to break test him because of the obvious dangers with that manoeuvre.

Further on and not related to the two cars earlier two cars were stopped against the central barrier and had rear ended, mayhem as the traffic tried to slow and lots of people realising they were too close to the car in front.

Now here’s my take on the problem of motorway accidents and how to avoid a great many of them

Leave a large stopping distance between yourself and the car in front.
    Don’t decide at speed to change lanes and get between two cars/lorry when the gap really isn’t big enough.
    Consider that lorries cannot stop and slow down as quickly as a smaller vehicle can.
    Anticipate people pulling out into another lane/coming onto a motorway via slip road, (give them space)
    Lorries, they have special set of problems and needs due to size, weight and blind spots.
    Don’t do 55mph when the motorway is free flowing.
    Don’t do 55mph in lane 2/3.
    Consider weather conditions and drive appropriately.
    Don’t be aggressive! it will only get you or somebody else killed.

Clearly there are people who are not considering these points and are as such a liability to themselves and others.

Oh and my passenger did a DVLA check and the BMW wasn’t taxed.

Sorry for the rant but I needed to get this off my chest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cctesta, Delderek, 190 and 2 others like this.
  2. E55BOF

E55BOF MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63, R230 SL500, R171 SLK55, FJR1300, Caponord, Yamaha Bulldog
    If you have good visibility and are concentrating on what you're doing, you should be able to see and react to what's happening several cars in front even in heavy traffic. If I'm stuck behind a lorry, SUV, people carrier or van and can't see, I'll be further back than I might otherwise be. If one or two (or more; M25, anybody?) bozos then pull out into the gap I've left, so be it.

In my case, it's all down to observation and planning ahead. I like 'making progress' as much as the next crazed speed freak, but I won't be doing it if I'm piled into the back of another car...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 7:58 PM
  3. Peter103

Peter103 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E 350 Bluetec 9 G Coupe.
    The two second rule.

NDFR, John N and merc85 like this.
  4. ash59fifty-uk

ash59fifty-uk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C63, Ford Transit
    My take is that there’s far too many sitting in lane 2 of a 3 lane motorway, it infuriates me and you can tell bad traffic backing up as you can spot three idiots in lane 2 in the distance with nobody to their left

If they moved over, there would be so much more room for everyone to pull over and continue

It causes idiots to drive worse in lane 3, or forces people to undertake. So dangerous. I find that I never have someone up my bumper because I pull to the left

I wish there was some technology to hack into people’s stereo systems, to let them know how **** their driving is or to tell them to move over! :headbang:

Williamwoo, bob6600 and John N like this.
  5. DoberMan

DoberMan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E Class 220cdi AMG line Sport Convertible. Gone but not forgotten, 2x190E, 2xC180, 1xB180 sport.
    I was chatting to a lady a couple of weeks ago that bought my fathers nearly new Golf.

She admitted to not being a very confident driver but was very pleased with herself for driving to Lancaster on the M6 all the way in lane two.

That's over 200 miles! :wallbash:

I felt the need to educate her.
    She was quite surprised that you shouldn't sit in lane two as that's what her husband told her!!

brucemillar likes this.
  6. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W212 E250 Sport - W211 E320 CDI Estate
    You should have included a copy of the Highway Code along with the car, god knows what else her husband has got wrong! :D

DoberMan likes this.
  7. Rorywquin

Rorywquin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Facelift SL400 AMG Line
    Agree brake testing is just idiotic......it is usually people who are not concentrating that drive too close. I find that putting on my hazards for a few seconds (apparently illegal) usually does the trick.

Adding to your list.....

Don't block the lane when somebody clearly wants to get past - speed up or slow down and get out of their way.

If you were stuck in a position where you "could not go anywhere at that point" perhaps, you need to reassess what you are doing - there should always be an escape route.....i.e. never be boxed in.

I'd rather speed up slightly (and dare I say it ---go over the speed limit) than be boxed in because there is a driver in a hurry behind me!

I too have close to 50 years driving experience and having worked & lived in 10 or more countries in a safety obsessed industry, I have been fortunate to have multiple retraining sessions in vehicles over my career (including testing by I.A.M. instructors). In 2017 I did a "high performance driver programme" (paid for by myself) at Millbrook proving grounds and on the roads (16hours of training) because I believe that we slowly let bad habits creep into our driving and need to be "refreshed" on a regular basis.

We all think we are better drivers than the other road users.;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 7:42 AM
    neilrr likes this.
  8. ToeKnee

ToeKnee Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL500
    After coming back from Heathrow this morning I was surprised how many cars were sat in lane 3 of the four lane section on the M25 even though there was nothing at all in lanes 1 and 2. Total madness!

9. rf065

rf065 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    Rorywquin likes this.
  10. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Some of the single most frustrating things abut driving in the UK?

* The laws of the road are not observed or understood by a significant proportion of drivers, who drive with impunity not realising that they are breaking any laws.

* The chronic under-funding & under-resourcing of our Traffic Police, leading to the above being made worse on an ever increasing basis.

Tailgating is covered by the laws of today. I suspect you will struggle to find any examples of prosecution(s) or even warnings being handed out for such behaviour. Surprising because, as a result of this, we see people being killed daily on our roads.

I live a few yards from the a249 in Kent. A main trunk road between the M20 & the M2. It is unusual in that it is peppered with right hand turns on a dual carriageway, leading to all sorts of heavy braking antics. It also leads to regular deaths and serious injuries, many of which I have ended up helping out with. In nearly every case, we find that a car/cars have piled into the back of the queuing cars in front, not able to stop in the gap they own and they have left themselves.

I would like it if just sometimes we read that there were prosecutions resulting from these "accidents" that are not "accidents" these are deliberate acts carried out by innocent looking drivers who cannot comprehend that their failure to stop may result in somebody else's failure to remain alive.

ash59fifty-uk and RonFleet like this.
  11. jpwilliams

jpwilliams Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 DIESEL AUTO EST,LEXUS GS 450h
    Observe the contents of the Highway Code at all times!

12. Petrol Pete

Petrol Pete Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon
    A woman who listens to her husband !?...where the F was she when I was single ? :p

DoberMan likes this.
  13. Petrol Pete

Petrol Pete Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon
    Add to the list the brain dead who simply do not realise that the slip road joining a motorway has been specifically designed (in most cases) to allow any vehicle using it to accelerate and match whatever speed vehicles already using lane 1 are travelling at.

Time and time again I see some Frukwit tootling down the slip-road only to force an HGV into lane 2 (why do they move over ? just stay where you are num nuts on the slip road will soon get the message) and as this is having an affect on everyone behind the HGV Drickwad then calmly (and slowly) accelerates up to 69.75 mph and Mr/Mrs HGV has to move back into lane 1. :mad::wallbash:

Rorywquin, merc85 and ash59fifty-uk like this.
  14. m80

m80 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Viano 3.0 Ex Long 2009 Auto
    Retest everyone every 5-7 years, they will then be caused to swot up on correct road use.

I prefer to cruise at 58mph, I'm then not tripping up the wagons as I'm moving a little faster, usually.
    I'm using lane 1 most of the time leaving the rest to accelerate / bake continually and have a more stressful journey as a result.

But on the occassions when I come up behind a vehicle I'd like to overtake it can be a hell of a challenge getting in to lane 2. I will normally accelerate some so as not to frustrate those already there but I still get the gits up my chuff pushing me.
    I can see that when it is ok to return to lane 1 and there is slower traffic there to be passed a little time later that often the 'must be there yesterday bunch' in my rear view wouldn't let me back out into lane 2, so I stay.
    There are often drivers who will sit close behind even when lane 3 is clear to use, fear of the fast lane I guess.

As said I set cruise at 58, if those coming onto the motorway, often not indicating cos' there's only one place to go i suppose, but lazy driving still bugs me, I expect them to match the motorway and blend.
    Over the years I've learnt that if I slow for them, they might then slow. We are both slowing ourselves, and those behind me not knowing which will make the break for it first, it becomes dangerous as we close on each other.
    I keep a constant speed, the responsibility to join safely is after all theirs.

merc85 likes this.
  15. zipdip

zipdip Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    s320
    Well motorway driving for some is a challenge,I no longer use the motorways to do thousands of miles a year,but my latest runs have shown to me that many just do not know just what to do,added to that the increase in cameras has produced a weird happening where we have lane 2 and 3 going at more or less the same speed,and when you get the 4 lanes on the M25 that throws another what to do conundrum.
    So lane 2 and 3 going the same speed means very few openings and it has been pointed out cars and vans are running close to one another,although the purists fight against it 70% of the time the inside lane is truck only,and those car drivers in lane 2 had better watch what is happening with those trucks,I have lost count of the times I have indicated and moved to lane 3 when there is nothing in front of me,because the truck I was catching up in lane one will and does come out,again drivers who are passengers with me say why have you changed lanes,and so I tell them and it happens as I said it would,makes me wonder just how many drivers actually consider that a possibility.
    The roads are getting more congested and the standard of driving is in my opinion going down,and so you do get tailgating and the undertaking happening,people seem to want to aim their cars now,maybe they have the false impression that if there was a accident they will be ok in their 5star crash tested car,I only hope they never have to put it to the test.

ash59fifty-uk and Dizz like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Dizz

Dizz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK320 (w209)
    I would like to add.....
    I always move over as soon as I can if someone is closing on me and let them go on their way.
    I also leave a safe stopping distance that usually means cars will easily move into in front of me (so be it)
    I’m sure I have bad habits accrued over the years and there are better drivers out there than me.

On a positive note, I also see drivers who are courteous and observant and really know what they’re doing on a motorway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rorywquin likes this.
  17. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    It's not to late to wind the clocks back a few hundred years and return to spits & gibbots (sic) Those who wish to ignore or flout our laws could simply be hung up at crossing points along major road ways. There for all to see as a warning of what may happen to them should they fail to get in line. Yes,, This could work.

And I speak as a victim of a tailgater who hospitalised me, left the car that was behind me, underneath me, with the driver suffering horrific burns as we dragged him out from his burning car leaving his skin in the car.

The chap who drove into us in a fully laden artic (carrying steel girders) said at the scene "everybody just stopped" the Police and Ambulance Crews pointing out several times "not everybody just stopped" did they sir?

What caused the pile up in the M1 South - roadworks near Luton?

An Italian (he was arrested) lorry driver threw his cigarette end out his window as he drove along the single lane in heavy end to end traffic.
    In throwing out his cigarette end. He managed to drop his mobile phone out the window onto the carriageway.
    To rescue his phone. He stopped his truck and climbed out, walking back along the carriageway to pick up his phone.
    The following queue, stacked into his rear end.
    Myself and several others managed to stop leaving gaps. The Polish chap behind me stopped but the artic behind him didn't, pushing him underneath my X5 lifting it onto his roof. His van then caught fire with him stuck by his ankles.

All to retrieve a mobile phone.

18. Merc89

Merc89 New Member

Car:
    1989 Sl300 2015 SL400
    Not to forget the growing number of idiots who do not realise that, believe it or not, all cars have indicators. I find the worse offenders to be the younger generation, especially, dare l say it, young girls.

19. m80

m80 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Viano 3.0 Ex Long 2009 Auto
    I'm seeing Police cars that don't have functioning indicators quite a lot.

To my mind the Police should request that cars that haven't demonstated the indicators work when they should have should be requested to be MOT retested.
    If there is insistance that the indicators are working correctly then driving without due consideration becomes applicable, or a driving retest to teach why they have a purpose.

ash59fifty-uk likes this.
  20. geraldrobins

geraldrobins Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    VW Golf, past c200cdi
    Young girls shouldn't be driving

I notice lack of indicating in all ages, and some especially on motorways that don't indicate soon enough before they manoeuvre.

ash59fifty-uk likes this.