Driving tricks.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biscuit

was coming back from the west country today with our kids in the back and the mrs all happily asleep on the M3. the radio consequently was off and i found it a really boring drive for an hour or more.

what tricks or games do you play to keep yourself amused on silent drives? i tried picking cars i would like to own more than mine but that didn't really work....

Having driven back from Annecy in France to our home in Chester in one day. Twice now I have done this 850 miles plus the ferry...

I tend to while driving look at the cars passing and check number plates out looking out for any good ones. Have pleanty of munchys and keep picking..also have coffee at the ready. Daft things like see what speed the TomTom says I'm doing or time of arrival etc. Silly place names on signs...

I guess you do get more use to it, I get quite relaxed and just tend to 'do it'

I like to have a little snooze during the quiet time ;)

Daft things like see what speed the TomTom says I'm doing

Not for the same reason but me and Mrs DM have been known to guess what speed we will be doing when either cresting a hill without moving the accelerator, or when reaching the bottom or another marker point when on the over-run down a hill.

Well, actually I always set the challenge, she doesn't play games when driving..;)

Thats what cruise and electric seats are for isn't it ?

Pick a subject then think of an example beginning with each letter of the alphabet, like:

Car manufacturers: Austin, BMW, Caterham, etc.

Towns: Ashford, Bromley, Caterham, etc.

Also like checking out the hotties in neighbouring cars, that sort of stuff.

I had a truck driving mate who'd boil a kettle and have a wet shave :eek:

When I bought my car in Oslo, I had to drive it all the way to Trondheim non-stop with no stereo, and my phone ran out of batteries after a while of playing music. :eek: So, what to do then? Start singing yourself! :p

How close have you come in reality..?

Its a weird thing - i was meeting a load of mates in Hastings once in a camp site (long story) and had been up for about 26 hrs - driving down the A21 i could feel myself about to nod off, so i pulled into a little side road, set the alarm on my mobile and set about having a kip for a couple of hours. The act of going through that process completely woke me up for some reason and i continued on to Hastings without having a doze, wide awake, got there, had a night out (another long story) a few hours kip - woke up in the morning the same time as everyone, feeling fine. (as fine as you can after a night on the floor in a tent in a sleeping bag anyway..)

The family are usually greatly amused when you try a few miles on just two wheels.

I try to beat my estimated arrival time.

So if it says I'll arrive by 4pm and I then think I can make 3pm, i'll then say 2:50pm etc etc

I generally arrive at my destination at 150mph in a fireball of destruction, but also rather chuffed.

Dave!

For driving in the UK I used to play a number plate game.

Starting with the number '1' spot a plate eg M1AMG. Then find a '2', '3' etc.

WARNING!! This can be very addictive, even more annoying and can take up to 2 years to get to 99.

For driving in the UK I used to play a number plate game.

Starting with the number '1' spot a plate eg M1AMG. Then find a '2', '3' etc.

WARNING!! This can be very addictive, even more annoying and can take up to 2 years to get to 99.

I don't want to be on a 2-year motorway journey! A few hours is bad enough :(

We do the drive to/from southern Germany overnight, which limits the games somewhat (as it's dark!). I get the Mrs to hand me munchies on demand, plus some chilled cans of Red Bull on standby.

I like to listen for strange noises/vibrations starting or stopping and then try to guess what they are/were and weather or not they will result in me standing on the hard shoulder in the rain on this particular journey or the next one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom