Driving with a cast on her leg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Duplicate

Glad to hear that both the wife and the dog are on the mend.

Regarding the cast, I have never been in this situation myself, but to be honest I don't think there's an issue driving an automatic car with your left leg or foot in a cast...?

If its her left leg and an automatic then it would be difficult to prove her driving would be materially effected.

As for the question of insurance... that's an interesting point and I don't know the answer to that.

Let's assume for argument sake that the cast did impair her ability to drive.

This would put her in the same category as drunk drivers, or people on certain types of prescription medication, or those who smoke cannabis, or drive without their prescription glasses, or hold a mobile phone while driving... does this mean that all of the above automaticlly commit the further offence of driving while uninsured?

And on the same note... people who got injured in a crash while not wearing a seatbelt (ot helmet, im case of a bike) - can the insurer avoid the pay-out on the grounds that they broke the law and deliberately failed to protect themselves from serious injury?

As MancMike says, cant see the issue, if the cast does not foul or impede the brake pedal in any way then would think it fine to drive.

If its her left leg and an automatic then it would be difficult to prove her driving would be materially effected.
Tend to agree, but it could depend on the size/style of the cast, could it get in the way of the brake pedal for instance.

And in the case of many Mercedes (which this probably isn’t) what about the parking brake?

Tend to agree, but it could depend on the size/style of the cast, could it get in the way of the brake pedal for instance.

And in the case of many Mercedes (which this probably isn’t) what about the parking brake?
The parking brake can be operated with the right foot - it's not required while driving, only after parking the vehicle.

My gut reaction would be that it's just plain daft. But, I'd be interested to hear what @Giantvanman has to say on the subject. He's probably seen worse.

Did calling a cab/uber never cross her mind? (Or a friend)
It’s a bit silly imho.

Maybe not so bad if the cast is just below the knee and leg can be bent out of the way.

Did calling a cab/uber never cross her mind? (Or a friend)
It’s a bit silly imho.

Cab/Uber’s are iffy with carrying dogs...

Let’s put it this way, as I’m not sure if you have a dog/would understand. If your child/wife/brother/sister/mum/dad was vomiting blood, would you drive them to the hospital as fast as you could, or wait for a cab? :)

(Let’s assume in this instance an ambulance is not an option)

I think you know the answer, insurers would say unsafe to drive, as would police who would have prosecuted if they stopped her. Had the same argument with my wife following her recent left elbow replacement, as soon as the cast was removed she was back on the car though for retail therapy.

I would have preferred a permanent driving disqualification for her, much better on the wallet!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Why would an insurer / Police consider this unsafe?

The car has automatic transmission, the left leg was the injured limb so the vehicle could be properly and safely controlled by the normal use of the right leg.

Having an elbow in plaster is an entirely different issue because you will not have full control of the steering.

Maybe the grey area is if the driver was taking strong pain killers or in lots of pain due to the injury. An insurer may say either of these two would compromise safety. So the fact that it’s the left leg in an Auto is irrelevant :dk:

Just a thought.

First of all thank you to those who sent their best wishes for my wife and dog.

Maybe not so bad if the cast is just below the knee and leg can be bent out of the way.
The cast is for a double fractured ankle, therefore on the lower part of her leg, ankle and foot (knee down).

I guess it doesn't matter what any of us think, whether we personally believe it's safe, unsafe, silly, irresponsible or a non issue, the insurance company and Police will have their rules and standards that they will stick by. Legally, so far I guess nobody knows the answer.
FWIW, I believe it is safe and that the cast would not be an obstruction or hinder the ability to control the vehicle as it would have been prior to the cast being applied.

Let’s put it this way, as I’m not sure if you have a dog/would understand. If your child/wife/brother/sister/mum/dad was vomiting blood, would you drive them to the hospital as fast as you could, or wait for a cab? :)
I think Abs has it spot on here. My wife never entertained driving until one of her loved animals were at risk. Yes she has friends, but all friends and our Son were at work. Taxi, if you believe you are fit to drive in this situation and you have a car sitting there would you call a Taxi?

When I ruptured my Achilles tendon a few years back (I wouldn't recommend it - three months in a cast) my insurers told me that, although my car was an automatic, they would not cover me to drive until the cast was off. Their reasoning was that, although I would be physically able to drive, should I be involved in an accident, the other party's insurers could claim that my temporary disability had contributed to it - and things could get complicated. Also, they were concerned that, in the event of an accident, my repaired Achilles tendon might be permanently damaged. Those three months without driving were hell.

Maybe the grey area is if the driver was taking strong pain killers or in lots of pain due to the injury. An insurer may say either of these two would compromise safety. So the fact that it’s the left leg in an Auto is irrelevant :dk:

Just a thought.
This can happen with a migraine with no outward sign of a disability though...?

...I guess it doesn't matter what any of us think, whether we personally believe it's safe, unsafe, silly, irresponsible or a non issue, the insurance company and Police will have their rules and standards that they will stick by. Legally, so far I guess nobody knows the answer....

Yes, it would be good to know what the legal position is...

When I ruptured my Achilles tendon a few years back (I wouldn't recommend it - three months in a cast) my insurers told me that, although my car was an automatic, they would not cover me to drive until the cast was off. Their reasoning was that, although I would be physically able to drive, should I be involved in an accident, the other party's insurers could claim that my temporary disability had contributed to it - and things could get complicated. Also, they were concerned that, in the event of an accident, my repaired Achilles tendon might be permanently damaged. Those three months without driving were hell.
Interesting, though I guess this is one of those things where you might get a different response from different insurers?

On the subject of who should be allowed to drive, there should be an observer who can rule on who's safe on the road. This could be split into small districts and be manned by impartial, level headed observers.

I'd volunteer to sit at the roadside for my district and take photos of anyone that I've taken a dislike to and pronounce them banned for 6 months or until they can persuade me that they should have their licence back

I could hold weekly meetings for those pleading for their licence back, let's call them surgeries. I would need some kind of throne naturally in order to display my authority, trumpeters optional for the show off types.

Or,

We could just allow dashcammers to send in their videos of wrongdoing to the police, I can't see that working but some seem to support it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom