DRL’s how not to be seen in public.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Simple solution, mandatory Pre Drive Check Sheet.

There are clear signals/warning lamps in the instrument cluster that let you know which lights are on - why do people not use them?
In my cars the clusters and switchgear illuminate when I put sidelights on , and I have these dimmed to a minimum to keep distraction to a minimum .

Interesting responses here. There seems to be a lot who want to blame the drivers. Ultimately the driver would own that blame.

But this misses the point.

We are designing a feature that for no logical resin does not need to be designed in the way it is. Why don’t the tail lights simply come on with the DRL’s?

Problem solved. Safe and effective as well as risk free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are raising an interesting point.

Do we relieve drivers from responsibility by introducing automation?

As in self-driving/driverless cars?
AIUI , the law is quite clear on that , in an autonomous car , the driver is still legally in charge of the vehicle .

In my cars the clusters and switchgear illuminate when I put sidelights on , and I have these dimmed to a minimum to keep distraction to a minimum .

SAABs used to have a feature where only the essential instruments remained illuminated at night etc ......

SAABs used to have a feature where only the essential instruments remained illuminated at night etc ......
This is available on some cars where you can switch all the dashboard 'boll0x' off and just have the basics in front of you, presumably so you can concentrate on the road ahead , and behind.

Before it became automatic some cars had a rheostat to dim the instrument lights at night. My 1972 Humber sceptre even had eyelids on each of the dash mounted warning lights which you could pull down at night to dim the light output. That car had twin 5 3/4 headlights where one was the dip beam and the other was main. With no design compromise and a darkened cabin those lights were excellent for their day. I keep saying it, good visibility at night is as much about dark adapted eyes and good contrast than how many lumens you can put out. Bugger all chance of your eyes getting dark adapted these days though.

Before it became automatic some cars had a rheostat to dim the instrument lights at night. My 1972 Humber sceptre even had eyelids on each of the dash mounted warning lights which you could pull down at night to dim the light output. That car had twin 5 3/4 headlights where one was the dip beam and the other was main. With no design compromise and a darkened cabin those lights were excellent for their day. I keep saying it, good visibility at night is as much about dark adapted eyes and good contrast than how many lumens you can put out. Bugger all chance of your eyes getting dark adapted these days though.
I always keep my instrument and switchgear lighting as dim as I can get away with , also I have the radio set to only illuminate when any control is operated and go blank again after a few seconds , this makes a huge difference , and I don't know how people can drive with interiors lit up like christmas trees , or worse still satnavs on full brightness in the middle of the screen , that being an MOT failure so should be illegal to drive like that .

I like many on here do not like DRL's but my car has them,in daylight starting the car ,I can see they are on against the garage door,like many I run with the lights on auto,this seems to be a good choice most of the time,and so stops the car running with no rear lights when it gets dark,and on the dash the green light symbol will light up,I can count on one hand the number of times I have felt the need to turn the lights on due to weird driving conditions,the fog light issue is a crazy one,I suspect drivers have never been told or given a simple reference as to when to use them,for me a simple rule of thumb is to look at street lights,they are evenly spaced out,if you can see three lamp posts not even clearly,leave them off and never put them on in rain or spray,you see cars in very light mist with fog lights on when the dozens of other cars have them off,I always wonder why given all those indicators that driver leaves them on.

My BMW has the option in idrive to turn the rear lights on too with the DRL, so I ticked the box and they are now on front and back - simples

Before it became automatic some cars had a rheostat to dim the instrument lights at night. ...........

I think most cars still have a way of dimming the dash lights - certainly in all of the various cars I've owned .......

I like many on here do not like DRL's but my car has them,in daylight starting the car ,I can see they are on against the garage door,like many I run with the lights on auto,this seems to be a good choice most of the time,and so stops the car running with no rear lights when it gets dark,and on the dash the green light symbol will light up,I can count on one hand the number of times I have felt the need to turn the lights on due to weird driving conditions,the fog light issue is a crazy one,I suspect drivers have never been told or given a simple reference as to when to use them,for me a simple rule of thumb is to look at street lights,they are evenly spaced out,if you can see three lamp posts not even clearly,leave them off and never put them on in rain or spray,you see cars in very light mist with fog lights on when the dozens of other cars have them off,I always wonder why given all those indicators that driver leaves them on.

Foglights (oooh look at me, my car has foglights) .....pet peeve seeing idiots with them on when not needed (and they have presumably rewired them to be working with the main beams) . In some countries, they will fine you if you have them on when not needed especially the rear which dazzle drivers behind them.

As I alluded to earlier - there are too many people driving cars that should definitely not be doing so!

Foglights (oooh look at me, my car has foglights) .....pet peeve seeing idiots with them on when not needed.
Totally agree, but Mrs B's 16 reg Nissan has the front fog lights as DRLs. Dimmed, of course, but still on.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom