DRLs don't mean rears are on!!! Is it me ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP you are correct.

DRLs are not allowed after lighting up time and as such the twits who thought everyone would comply and turn on their correct lights have proven to be short sighted. If they'd thought it through they'd have realised that this situation would happen and therefore legislate that the rear lights should also be on full time.

You got that right.

I wish that I knew what I was on about sometimes.

When I first went to live in Germany, I mentioned to a friend that German drivers were so much better than the British when it came to putting lights on in bad weather...........he informed me that the Germans were no better than the British in that regard, except that 'it was the law' to put your lights on.

Why not mandate it in the UK?
Tony

If all vehicles had lower intensity lights for being seen with and only turned headlights on when they needed to see we would all be able to see better.

Years ago I had an Audi Coupe that had just that. When you switched the sidelights on the dip beam mains came on as well but dimmed off the full dip beam setting. It was a great idea.

There's a simple answer to sort out all the muppets that cant be bothered to switch the lights on, make it so the headlights are on all the time. :wallbash:

The same situation today. A40 across the Cotswolds in fog. Even a lorry with just DLRs.

This afternoon M4 in torrential rain. Loads of cars no lights. Presumably their auto function doesn'twork in the rain, together with the fact they are oblivious.

In the old days I would switch my lights on and off as I passed it highlight they may want to reconsider. In the CLS I can't actually switch them off in bad weather as the auto function puts them on (except sometimes in fog) ......

Years ago I had an Audi Coupe that had just that. When you switched the sidelights on the dip beam mains came on as well but dimmed off the full dip beam setting. It was a great idea.

My 190e had the same feature. It was like DRL's but 28 years ago and the rear lights were on as well.

My personal fave is when people put their fog lights on...

...WHEN IT'S RAINING!!!

There seems to be almost no enforcement of any driving regulations except where a camera can do it.

I don't know anyone that has been done for using a mobile phone (for instance), and no one has ever mentioned to me they know anyone, *except* one case when a customer got done on the way to us to have a phone kit installed about 6 years ago. I seem to recall he got caught as he was reversing somewhere he shouldn't have been.
- I see that they are increasing points for using phones (good thing in my book), but i'm sure if people vaguely knew anyone that had been done for using one, they would stop.

If someone had made a camera that reported blown headlights, or cars without lights on at night, and there was a fixed penalty, there would be loads of those around too. Maybe I should make one :)

Rant over.

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom