DRLs on W164

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hercules

Car
W203 2006 180K Sport Edition & ML164 sport
W164DRL.jpg

Why do that ?

When there's an option on the lighting menu to run the sidelights as DRL's.:rolleyes:

Interesting paragraph from Wiki. Note the last sentence...

"European Union
European Union Directive 2008/89/EC requires all passenger cars and small delivery vans first type approved on or after 7 February 2011 in the EU to come equipped with daytime running lights. The mandate will extend to trucks and buses in August 2012. The EU Directive requires that the DRL function must be produced by functionally specific lamps meeting the requirements of ECE Regulation 87 and mounted to the vehicle in accord with ECE Regulation 48. Functional piggybacking, such as operating the headlamps or front turn signals or fog lamps as DRLs, is not permitted."

Are those hight enough Hercules?

"Height above the ground must be a minimum of 250mm and a maximum of 1500mm"

Last edited:
Sorry but that looks bad whether photoshop or real, it ruins the front.

Thank you to every one for your feedbacks, and I do have respect for every one opinions.

Yes they do meet the requirements of ECE R87, they are 350 mm from the ground.

Photoshop was only used to remove to registration mark and I do like the way they look. :thumb:
ECE R87.jpg
DRL2.jpg

SO every new car will look like a wannabe Audi? :(

Interesting paragraph from Wiki. Note the last sentence...

"European Union
European Union Directive 2008/89/EC requires all passenger cars and small delivery vans first type approved on or after 7 February 2011 in the EU to come equipped with daytime running lights. The mandate will extend to trucks and buses in August 2012. The EU Directive requires that the DRL function must be produced by functionally specific lamps meeting the requirements of ECE Regulation 87 and mounted to the vehicle in accord with ECE Regulation 48. Functional piggybacking, such as operating the headlamps or front turn signals or fog lamps as DRLs, is not permitted."

Are those hight enough Hercules?

"Height above the ground must be a minimum of 250mm and a maximum of 1500mm"

p.s. Looks good :) Are you getting your original headlamp bulbs in that DRL shade. Is it 6000k or 8000k :dk:

I think it looks good.

It would look even better if you could get headlamps to match the drl colour.

Shouldn't the DRL's be dimmed/off with the headlamps on?

P.S. Another vote for them - they look good and serve a useful purpose.
What make are they and what did they cost? Are they as bright as OEM?

We should start a "Retrofit DRL" club!

drlviews.jpg

Last edited:
I think it looks good.

It would look even better if you could get headlamps to match the drl colour.

Something like this
W164DRL3.jpg

6000k xenon bulbs with white LED parking light

Something like this
View attachment 25303

6000k xenon bulbs with white LED parking light
Hi Hercules,

just reistered in order to contact you re the w164 retrofit led's.
iv'e just bought this vehicle and want to do the exact same thing, having not been able to find a conversion for the standard fogs to led's.

i was wondering which leds you used and how wired up. also, do you have closer pictures of the lights and could we discuss further.

thanks alot

anth

I Hanth,
I have used the following DRL "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjOzVVtIvjM". I had a bit of problem finding them, they come from China but they are of a very good quality, I think I paid around £80. The reason I chose them is because they are curved to accommodate the lower curved bumper section of the car. Of course you can use any other DRL as long they are slightly curved at the front
You need a lot of patience and be very good for cutting the right size aperture at the right place and four custom made brackets are needed to fix the DRL on the lower bumper and yes the front bumper need to come out.
The wiring is simple , black to ground and red to one free fuse slot from the fuse box in engine bay which is live only at ignition.
I will post a close-up photo as soon it stops raining

I Hanth,
I have used the following DRL "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjOzVVtIvjM". I had a bit of problem finding them, they come from China but they are of a very good quality, I think I paid around £80. The reason I chose them is because they are curved to accommodate the lower curved bumper section of the car. Of course you can use any other DRL as long they are slightly curved at the front
You need a lot of patience and be very good for cutting the right size aperture at the right place and four custom made brackets are needed to fix the DRL on the lower bumper and yes the front bumper need to come out.
The wiring is simple , black to ground and red to one free fuse slot from the fuse box in engine bay which is live only at ignition.
I will post a close-up photo as soon it stops raining

here is a close up

Attachments

• IMG_1529b.jpg
    IMG_1529b.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 67
Hi I have a ML350 and have a set of the DRL that replace the Fog lights just wondering where i can tap into get the power as no battery in the Engine bay ?? do you know how? or how did you get power to yours any photos?/
many thanks
John

Hi John,

See Attached photo, in the engine bay fuse box , there are 3 spare accessory fuse port, Black, Red and Blue, the later one is the ignition supply point I used.

But if if your car is a 2009 >, you can use the fog light wiring and code the front SAM with DAS in dev mode to disable "NEBEL LICHT and check if you have menu DLR to enable. And then you can activate day light running with steering wheel menu.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 40
Hi John,

See Attached photo, in the engine bay fuse box , there are 3 spare accessory fuse port, Black, Red and Blue, the later one is the ignition supply point I used.

But if if your car is a 2009 >, you can use the fog light wiring and code the front SAM with DAS in dev mode to disable "NEBEL LICHT and check if you have menu DLR to enable. And then you can activate day light running with steering wheel menu.

Thanks car is a 2010

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom