DRL's Poll

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

As we're all so used to seeing DRL's on most cars, vans and even HGV's what manufactuers have done be best and worst jobs?

For me Audi have done the best job.

Ford have done the worst. They look such an afterthought. :doh:

Ant.

I don't think it's manufacturer-based as such.

Yes Audi are probably market leaders but MB had some nice touches with the HID models.

Citroen fit ones that look completely aftermarket with the purple blue effect is 2007 for god sake

I don't think it's manufacturer-based as such.

Yes Audi are probably market leaders but MB had some nice touches with the HID models.

Good point. I guess it's more model based.

I think my favourite MB ones are on the w212 (ILS)

I thought Audi were best when they first started - there seemed to be a constant image across the brand. I think they've lost that look now; they still have attractive DRLs, but there's not such a clear brand identification.

6bb048a72f43e7c5c1ba4a691fbe0299.jpg

Love mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The big 3 in Germany have done a good job. Look classy and sophisticated.

The big 3 in France have yet again embarrassed themselves.. Blinding DRLs that mean the owners don't bother with the headlights at night.

The best for me are Audi.

The worst - Land Rover. Easily recognised but ugly. Or maybe it was their purpose?

The big 3 in Germany have done a good job. Look classy and sophisticated.

The big 3 in France have yet again embarrassed themselves.. Blinding DRLs that mean the owners don't bother with the headlights at night.

The biggest problem is that there are no tail lights on with them and idiots drive with only these front lights after dark and the back of the car completely unlit .

I see this on the roads every time I go out after dark .

The Scandinavian countries required tail lights as part of the DRL spec when first introduced back in the 70's by Volvo and SAAB , then required on all new cars in those countries .

Everyone else should follow suit . Manufacturers could do it voluntarily without waiting for legislative change .

These modern LED ones are also so bright that , if used alone after dark they are also blinding to oncoming motorists .

They are a good idea poorly implemented .

I have to agree, I like Audis, but I also like MBs ones. BMW I'm less of a fan of.

I really liked the placing of the DLRs on the Citroen DS3 though. They really suited the shape of the car.

Volvo with the "Thors hammer" design look really smart too imho.

The biggest problem is that there are no tail lights on with them and idiots drive with only these front lights after dark and the back of the car completely unlit .

I see this on the roads every time I go out after dark .

The Scandinavian countries required tail lights as part of the DRL spec when first introduced back in the 70's by Volvo and SAAB , then required on all new cars in those countries .

Everyone else should follow suit . Manufacturers could do it voluntarily without waiting for legislative change .

These modern LED ones are also so bright that , if used alone after dark they are also blinding to oncoming motorists .

They are a good idea poorly implemented .
Years ago in Italy I was pulled over by the local police for not switching my lights on while going thru a tunnel. I pointed out that my rental car appeared to have some sort of LED front lights permanently on (Lancia, something or other). They kindly pointed out that the real lights were not lit at the same time.

I kindly pointed out that the car was not mine and the owners manual was written in Italian only.

We shook hands and parted company without a word of English spoken by them )or Italian by me) , and no fine.

But its a valid point you make with this 'new' technology and how it is being implemented.

They usually look best if they are on a later model designed to have them, rather than a manufacturer retrofit.

I think they are too often gimmicky.
Also means drivers think even less about when to use, or not use, their lights

Just about every new car sold in the past 5 years has auto lights. So anything with DRLs will likewise.

As a result, cars driving in the dark with only their DRLs have probably just switched off their auto lights by mistake. Much like some drivers of older cars forget to switch their lights on.

On the design front, Audi without a doubt. I like how every model has its own signature DRL. No mixing up an A8 with an A4 in your rear view.

As for BMW, they look awful. Old halogen 'angel eyes' looked much better.

Just about every new car sold in the past 5 years has auto lights. So anything with DRLs will likewise.

As a result, cars driving in the dark with only their DRLs have probably just switched off their auto lights by mistake. Much like some drivers of older cars forget to switch their lights on.

On the design front, Audi without a doubt. I like how every model has its own signature DRL. No mixing up an A8 with an A4 in your rear view.

As for BMW, they look awful. Old halogen 'angel eyes' looked much better.

My wife has a '64' Aygo with DRL's, the main lights however are not automatic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom