Drone strikes plane landing at LHR.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Birds don't wilfully fly into planes...drones may do.

Are we talking about into the engine? Or into the screen? A plane flying at 600mph doesn't give a bird much opportunity to get out of the way.

I'm struggling to get how any drone, even the large ones are going to do dissimilar damage than a large bird, they simply don't have the mass or structural integrity. I would have thought they may damage blade if they went into an engine. I would have also thought the hydraulics of an aileron would crush anything of that size too.

I suppose take off and touchdown are the crucial two points of a plane journey and the two times when a drone could be close

A plane coming in for landing won't be doing 600 mph.. at least I hope not!

Bird strike can do a lot of damage, although engines are tested for this. I'd still imagine a large drone (made of carbon fibre and carrying a camera) is rather more indigestible to a jet engine.

I think it's only a matter of time before this gets puts to the test, unfortunately. Not sure what the answer is.. with most of the drones' control units operating in the licence-free bands, you can't just jam indiscriminately..

Cheers,

Gaz

Do not underestimate a bird strike. Remember Hudson.

Drones are a real threat but then, how can this threat be mitigated. At least when bird activity is in a vacinity of an aerodrome, it is reported.

Another threat is laser.

Here's one I saw not long ago.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 55
Anything at all entering the intake can damage the engine and bring the aircraft down.

The damage caused by birds stones and other foreign objects to the fan blades never ceased to amaze me.

Trust me, Ive been there scraping mushed seagull out. It stinks.

Ignoring the headline...

Pilot reports something he suspected was a drone struck the aircraft. The aircraft landed without incident, was inspected by ground crew and cleared for it's next flight so at worst any damage was presumably fixable patchable with some speed tape or the like

I'm not sure exactly we get from that to
Just a matter of time before one of these huge planes ploughs a deadly furrow through London.
without believing the articles comments or the daily wail being involved?

As said they fire frozen chickens, turkeys or whatever through engines, and at the cockpit windows to simulate bird strikes as well as all sorts of other stuff like water injestion tests and 'blade off' tests... making a test engine injest one of it's own blades with an explosive charge while it's running at full power to ensure the fan case can contain the blast

making a test engine injest one of it's own blades with an explosive charge while it's running at full power to ensure the fan case can contain the blast

its not the "blast" of a blade being detached that's the worst of it. Its the unbalanced fan shaking the whole assembly to death prior to shut down that's the problem, along with further material ingested doing the same to the next stages.

The frozen chicken experiments were to see what happened, not to determine their invulnerability.

By the by , this pilot reported a drone alongside prior to an unidentified impact. You don't have to be a detective or Olympic standard conclusion jumper to reach a conclusion on balance of probability I'm sure youll agree ;)

its not the "blast" of a blade being detached that's the worst of it. Its the unbalanced fan shaking the whole assembly to death prior to shut down that's the problem, along with further material ingested doing the same to the next stages.

The frozen chicken experiments were to see what happened, not to determine their invulnerability.

By the by , this pilot reported a drone alongside prior to an unidentified impact. You don't have to be a detective or Olympic standard conclusion jumper to reach a conclusion on balance of probability I'm sure youll agree ;)

Good point about the unbalanced remains being a bigger deal. I get that engines aren't expected to survive injesting foreign objects, all i was trying to point out is that if bored kids accidently managed to pilot a drone into the intake of one of a commercial jets engines it wouldn't explode like they do in the movies or immediately fall out of the sky. Unless there's a bunch of bored kids with a drone each all aiming for different engines :p

My bad about the drone, didn't know the pilot had reported seeing one before the impact

Personally Hotrodder I reckon a decent pilot would handle a drone strike but I wouldn't like to be on board whilst they proved it lol :D

Just to be clear, the frozen chicken thing is a total myth. Chicken carcasses may be used in tests for windscreen or even engines, but they're never frozen. Even when a 747 had a goose strike on the radome at 35,000 ft. many years ago, the bird wasn't frozen. :) Furthermore, a strike on a single engine is extremely unlikely to bring an aircraft down. An airliner is normally supplied with more than one engine for a reason. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom