Drove into a small rock!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GDAWG10

Car
C Class Sports Coupe
Hi all,

Somebody decided to place a small rock at the front of my driveway where I usually park. Drove in last night without seeing it because it was dark and it got lodged underneath my bumper. It managed to cause an area of quite large white scrapes/scratches just underneath the corner of the bumper. Luckily you can't see it unless the car is on a hill or at a certain angle.

I've included an image of the location of the damage and the actual damage. What's the best course of action for this? I'm leaning towards sanding it down and applying touch up paint from MB although it is quite a large area....It looks like a separate panel at the bottom of the bumper but no doubt it will be a few ££££ at get it done properly so looking for advice on the best way to apply the paint etc. Don't think the MB touch up brush will do much good.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Last edited:
A small smart repair will do, and will be low cost too.

Where it is means it won't need to be perfect so shouldn't take long

if it were mine i would be happy to have such a small scrape. my w202 has a lot of scratches under the front bumper.

As already mentioned above about scratches, you may as well leave unless its nagging you. Also, walk down your street and I am sure you will see cars with low bumpers have similar scratches.

It hurts, but the next one may hurt a little less now.

If its bothering you can get a set of wet and drive sanding paper. Rub down to smooth things out. You might find the use of a High Build Primer / Filler if the scratches are deep.
https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=11 followed by rubbing down again. You will have bought the high build primer when you went to your local motor factor that provides a colour swatch based paint mixing service. There for about £15 they provide you with a custom filled aerosol can with an exact colour match for your car. As finishing touch you can spray with a clear lacquer coat. This is a viable " experienced" DIY project due to its location. But like all bodywork you must be aware of your limitations compared to the pros who are doing this everyday. The right materials will cost APPROX £50 but you will be left with quite lot of material you can use in the future if necessary.

Thanks for all the advice.

I've used the MB touch up kit before and it was a near perfect match. I'm keen to touch up the sections that are visible. Because it's mainly out of view, I'm just going to go for a light rub down with sand paper over the scratches, apply the paint as evenly as possible using something like the tip of some kitchen roll rolled up and t-cut/polish it down and see how it turns out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom