Drove the new Jaguar XJ this morning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Porsche Macan S, BMW i3
The luxury car marketing men will have you believe that you are normally sweeping swiftly along a smooth, deserted, challenging, picturesque highway. In reality we struggle so find any space on horribly potholed roads in a land where we pay five and half quid for a gallon of fuel. My previous Mercedes S Class fitted the real world very well, serene, secure and frugal. It was never accused of being small, light or fun which was prompted my move to the CLS at the end of last year. The new aluminium XJ is about the same weight as the CLS, so could it fulfil all my requirements? :dk:
My first impressions were really good. The whole car feels so much smaller than it is because of the lighter weight and the response of all the controls. The whole car has a much more alert feeling than either Mercedes and the engine response in particular with its twin turbos is very good. So too is the steering. Perhaps a little over light on first acquaintance but very positive and accurate. The refinement level is, if anything, a step up on even the S Class. The lack of engine, road and wind noise deeply impressive.
The car I drove was on 20” wheels and the ride, handling and grip at high speed was exemplary.
So this car can do the refinement of the S and is more fun to drive than the CLS, but at what cost?
Well, aside from the drain on my bank balance, the answer is low speed ride. If anything it is stiffer than the CLS and could be described as distinctly firm over the series of pot holes which make up our urban roads. Firm enough to send a few shakes through the structure and get the trim to creak occasionally. Urban limo it is not.
I’ll have to consider if I’m willing to make those sacrifices for a car which really is a joy to drive …….but I have to admit to being impressed:eek:

Did you test the perceived quality like, doors/boot opening and closing, interior switches and trim, are they up to S-class standards?

Did you test the perceived quality like, doors/boot opening and closing, interior switches and trim, are they up to S-class standards?
Perceived quality is just that...but on first aquaintance I'd say the XJ at least matched the S Class.

What about an XF, admittably heavier but a nicer looking car, but a more managable size.

I tried one prior to getting the CLS, and it was the firm low speed ride and some owner horror stories which swung the balance towards another Mercedes.

Been reading about the recent XJs and apparently Jaguar are quite content to sacrifice the 'secondary' ride for a more positive driving experience, and despite not being able to offer a definition of what 'secondary' ride actually is - I suspect that is what has been found lacking by Mactech.
What I couldn't, and still don't, understand, is why Jaguar are committed to these settings for both the SWB and LWB models. Surely there is a case to be made for endowing the LWB car with the type of comfort that made Jaguar famous. If for no other reason than the buyer of the LWB may well be sat in the rear oblivious to the driving experience.

The XF and XJ share same gearbox/engines so if the horror stories are there with the XF, they'll crop up with the XJ if its mechanical...

Personally, I have never "desired" a Jaguar. I know they are good cars but just prefer a BMW, VAG or Mercedes.

Lol I have never desired a Jag either but Im in it for real now so i hope I learn to desire it once it arrives !!! Im confident in the car and the dealer if it goes mammaries up, I have spoken to two purchasers of said car from same dealer all happy with barely a niggle between them.
I Took a diesel XJ for a quick spin when I paid for the XFR on saturday and its lovely inside, nice outside but a bit too old for me also I dont like diesels. The ride on 19`s i think was very very good (used to a DB9 remember) and the engine torque was astonishing - its a great car for someone.
An XJR in a few years maybe ..

The XF and XJ share same gearbox/engines so if the horror stories are there with the XF, they'll crop up with the XJ if its mechanical...

Personally, I have never "desired" a Jaguar. I know they are good cars but just prefer a BMW, VAG or Mercedes.

Horror stories were mostly on the electronics platform and fuel filler lid(!) but the XJ has a different 'virtual' platform.
Jaguar and I go back a long way including 3 World Championships and 2 Le Mans wins, not to mention a very close encounter with the XJ220;)

I Took a diesel XJ for a quick spin when I paid for the XFR on saturday and its lovely inside, nice outside but a bit too old for me also I dont like diesels. The ride on 19`s i think was very very good (used to a DB9 remember) and the engine torque was astonishing - its a great car for someone.
An XJR in a few years maybe ..

I'm old enough for a Jaguar :doh: and I couldn't give a monkeys what others think of me or the car. I just want to experience the very best in engineering terms and for me (and others in the press;)) the ride is compromised at low speed and in 'bump/thump' wheel control.
Maybe what I seek is not possible, but it won't stop me searching!:eek:
You will eventually come to understand why 90% of the XJ's sold will be diesel:rolleyes:

Some owners have reported problems with the XF 3.0D S (272bhp) with "Reduced Performance" popping up on their screens.

This exact thing even happened to me while having this very model as a rental car in Germany not long ago.

Basically, you drive a long, and boom, you have this message.

The XF with this engine certainly impressed me. It was a lot quicker than any non-AMG MB I've ever driven. The accelaration at high speed coupled with a AMG-like gearbox and paddles was simply WOW. But the issues I had, in a brand new rental, hurt this a bit....

The XF is so anonymous on the road, unlike the CLS. Every time I see one I genuinely think it's a Mondeo.

The XF is so anonymous on the road, unlike the CLS. Every time I see one I genuinely think it's a Mondeo.

I have to disagree! The XF is stunning. In any colour. From any angle. Stunning! And that's before a door is opened..

I have to disagree! The XF is stunning. In any colour. From any angle. Stunning! And that's before a door is opened..

Agree on this to 100%. The XF is simply stunning.

However, some of the materials used are so so at best. I found that some of the plastics were brittle and most buttons were very plasticky. It gave me the impression that Jag had used a different supplier than Ford.

The Sat Nav screen are a bit confusing as well. Buttons are backlit in Blue which is certainly not my favourite and difficult to see at night.

But, still a car on my list next time.... ;)

I too think the XF is a stunner - the rear is Aston Martin looking (how you see a Mondeo in that beats me)..the front is a wee bit bland (IMHO). Having driven the XFR I think it is awesome - loved the suspension.

Mac do you think the XK on 19" wheels with slightly more rubber would improve that ride..??

20" rims aren't going to lend themselves to any sort of comfort ride.

19" look just as good and may be all that's needed to make it limo smooth.

I love Jags for one thing, the interior. They've always manged to do the interior better than anything from the continent, bar Maserati maybe.

But I need an estate.....

Mac do you think the XK on 19" wheels with slightly more rubber would improve that ride..??

The salesman was adamant that the XJ ride was the same on 18, 19 or 20" wheels. However, my own experience with all other cars would indicate that the low speed ride quality is directly proportional the rim to road distance and inversely proportional to how good they look.
So, I suspect so, but can't confirm.;)

I tried one prior to getting the CLS, and it was the firm low speed ride and some owner horror stories which swung the balance towards another Mercedes.

What horror stories, news to me and I have had my XF coming on 2 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom