Drowned 'Bugatti' car found in lake expected to fetch £85,000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KNU7S

Car
1991 R129 500SL Mercedes, 2002 ML270cdi, 2004 Freelander

Attachments

• Summs_1_385_669679a.jpg
    Summs_1_385_669679a.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 230
  • bugatti.bmp
    70.2 KB · Views: 232
Why would somebody pay that much for rusted metal? It's a clever way to make money for somebody!

It would be the same kind of person that actually cares what Brian Sewell thinks.......

Cars (barn finds) of this nature gain their value often because of who says it's valuable rather than it's intrinsic value.

This one also happens to be attached to a (very valid) charitable cause. Many people like to publicly open their wallets for a bit of charidy...but don't like to talk about it obviously.

Last edited:
Right, I'm back off to Stoney Cove, anyone coming?!

Its not as beautiful as a Pagoda though.

mrcedes_rust.jpg

thumb140x120_452512512_7539798a92_o.jpg

When Rust Attacks: Mercedes 230 SL Recovered After 30 Years in River - 230 sl - Jalopnik

Why would somebody pay that much for rusted metal?

We all have Mercedes dont we, there not cheep!;)

I would guess it will sell for 5-10 times the estimate

Nick Froome

80%'s about right - by volume, right? The 20% of it that's air should be a doddle.

nothing a new timing chain and oil change wont sort

Why would somebody pay that much for rusted metal? It's a clever way to make money for somebody!
Bet it's not as rusty as a 10 year old e-class:D

What price originality?

This does pose the question about car "originality" Just how much of the original car will be incorporated into the rebuild? Is there a limit to this % i.e. needs 80% restoration??? At what point does the restored car stop being " original" and just a very accurate "clone" of the original. Sure it will have original chassis number and history, but is it really the same car that rolled out of Ettore Bugatti's works so many years ago?- I doubt it. If this particular car had a winning competition track record-perhaps driven by one of Bugatti's famous racing drivers- then maybe. Otherwise a "trinket" to bought by some fabulously wealthy collector. The ultimate irony is it then enters a "alternative reality" where it becomes "without real value" to the majority of motor-sport enthusiasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom