Druk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
What follows is very difficult for me to write but will come out in the wash sooner or later so might as well come from the horses mouth.

On Jan 17th I was admitted to the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh with (ostensibly) severe constipation. After lots of medication and tests it transpired that my liver was over-producing Ascites fluid, this was gathering in my stomach cavity and pressing shut the lower bowel. Bingo. They drained 6 1/2 ltrs of this fluid from my cavities and that at least gave some relief.
As I was lying there the curtain got flung open and there stood the Consultant who had been treating me for years but entirely separately for COPD. Strange?
Long story short...he had been waiting for 'something to develop' in my case and this was his moment.
The liver over-production of Ascites fluid et al was a by product of a small tumour on the Plura of my lung with attendant swelling. This had suddenly decided that now was the time to be making its presence felt and had transferred a part of itself to my Peritoneal cavity. Oh! thank you God.
Lots of drains, biopsies and Cat scans later I got transferred to the Respiratory ward. Strange place for someone with Constipation.

The long shot of this was that I was released back home last Friday after nearly four weeks but with a confirmed diagnosis of Mesothelioma Asbestosis.

As any fool knows this has a certain inevitability about it but, as yet, we don't know what/when that will be.

So...no more Mods duties for moi since on any given day I'm mostly fatigued beyond belief. The weather here is too bad to go for even a short walk which is contrary to a short term recovery. I'm eating and pooping well so that's good although have lost over a stone so look like something off of Steptoe's cart.

There are a select few on here who are already aware of this and a couple of you have been good enough to travel great distances to visit which is of inestimable value to myself. Others have been a shoulder to cry on, sometimes at the most ridiculous of early hours. You also know who you are. Thank-you.

Hoping to update this thread if the opportunity and excuse present themselves.

Watch this space.

Derek.

Derek, so sorry to hear the news. My thoughts are with you.

Derek as I said before I am incredibly sorry to hear about this, and I wish you the best.

Do let us know is there is anything we can do to help.

Sorry to hear this, not sure what to say TBH.

Hope you receive all the help and support you need.

Very sorry to hear this, Derek.
Really not much more I can say, but thoughts are with you.

Sorry to hear this news. My half-brother-in-law had this a decade ago - the result of running a workshop maintaining railway carriages.

It's a cliche, but it helps to try to stay as active as is possible, given the constraints, keep the mind active, talk to people, and take steps to improve your diet, quality of sleep, and manage the anxiety levels. All a ruddy sight easier said than done, but they do make a difference. Any prognosis is an average - the game is to beat the average.

Our thoughts are with you.

Derek - astonished and saddened to hear your news. As you know, I have some health issues myself, so can fully empathise. I won't post any platitudes here, but will come over to say hello.

Derek - not a lot I can say or do that will make the slightest difference, but I am so very sorry to hear this and just look after yourself. Best wishes and lets hope the weather improves to get you out and about.

Sorry to hear that Druk. Ignore the weather and do things. Wishing you all the best.

Derek, I'm very sorry to hear your news. I'll be thinking of you and your family. Wishing you all the best very best, Rob

Anything you need - even from my end of the universe don't hesitate!

Reactions: 219
Sorry to hear this news, as others have said stay positive, the body can do miraculous things.

What a bad 4-5 weeks you’ve had Derek. I’ll bet you’re so relieved to be home where you belong. I can well imagine you are surrounded by many family and friends. However, if you need one more just give me a shout.

Please keep us updated. There’s many here who genuinely care. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
As Derek’s nephew can I just say how humbled I am by the support and kindness some of you showed and have given. The lengths some have gone to are incredible and as said above great to see people that genuinely care. I know it means a lot to him too. [emoji1360]

Derek

I cried after Harry told me.

Life can be a total bastard sometimes and you do not deserve this to happen to you.

A nicer man I will struggle to find.

Whatever we can do for you - just ask.

That's very sad news and I wish you the very best. :(

I can't find the words to express how saddened me and Rita are to hear your news.
Thinking of you and Betty.
Kevin

Last edited:
I’m dumbstruck pal, I don’t know what to say other than I’m here if there’s owt you need, anything at all.

My dads friend has asbestosis, he was given three months to live three year ago and he’s still in good shape now so there is hope my friend.

Time for you and your family now x

Very saddened to hear this.... My thoughts are with you and yours

Damn it, why is it always the good ones???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom