Druk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wasn't prepared for that.
It's been a long time since I was on the forums and this thread is the first thing I stumble upon.
It's breaking my heart to hear of the passing of Derek, one great old fella I was lucky enough to meet some 5 years ago whilst on a road trip around Britain. Some of you might remember.
I was hoping to maybe catch up with him again this April since my mate Felix and I will be flying to Edinburgh for, well what is it, some kind of beer festival in Aberdeen (Brewdog AGM).

Genuine tears in my eyes now.
All the best to Bette and his family.

TheLads.jpg
We will hold you in grateful memory.
Marvin and Felix

Shit! Just come across this thread and feel rather stunned. It's kind of compounded by the fact that today would have been my dad's 72nd birthday, had cancer not taken him 17 years ago.
Deepest condolences to everyone involved. :(

Jeez that's gone quick.

What happened to Druk's R107 in the end?

For quite a long time after Derek's passing, I would still automatically go to call, text, Whatsapp or email to tell/show him about something or other.

Not long after Derek's death, I lost my best ever mate, my dog Bruce.

Days from a very dark world indeed for me and I didn't post here for over a year because of all that stuff and for a few other reasons.
I sort of hoped that Derek and Bruce would meet up - Derek had met Bruce and I know they'd look after each other - What a team.

Top marks and hats of to Ray, for managing to make several journeys to see Derek in his last months. Something I very much regret not being able to do myself due to poor mental and physical health at that time.

I confess to sometimes listening to His Master Voice on YouTube.
Listening to Derek's voice is good for the soul.

His Masters Voice.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Plenty of other clips to enjoy HERE.

Love you, Derek.

RIP mate.

Top marks and hats of to Ray, for managing to make several journeys to see Derek in his last months. Something I very much regret not being able to do myself due to poor mental and physical health at that time.

He wasn't the only one. It's not for me to name names (and it wasn't me) but I'm aware of at least one other forum member who visited him in his last days.

ringway said:

He wasn't the only one. It's not for me to name names (and it wasn't me) but I'm aware of at least one other forum member who visited him in his last days.

Yes, I think you are correct and credit is due there also.

However, I mentioned Ray because he lives over 400 miles away from Edinburgh.
Quite a trek once, but whichever method of travel is used, an 800+ mile round trip, on several occasions, is quite an effort.
I know Ray's presence in person and on the telephone were very much appreciated by Derek and Bette.

Actually, re-reading through the thread which I hadn't seen for a long time prompts me to thank everyone that visited Derek or helped out in any way whatsoever.

Thank you.

Edit.

Looking back, it was actually (for whatever reason?) quite short-sighted of me to overlook the overall efforts of everyone. I apologise for that.

Last edited:
Yes, The great man is missed. The regular GTG’s at Glasgow have unfortunately stopped since his passing. He obviously enjoyed them enough to arrange.
I only met him a few times and his blunt and abrupt conversation was really quite funny. (In a lovely warm way).

A quick chat on the phone would turn into a lengthy story telling event. The kind of guy that made me feel very average and boring.

I often wonder if he’s banned Bruce Mlller and how many times. :D

I spoke to Bette a few days ago, she is keeping well and has been on a few holidays but has now understandably, had a few forthcoming events cancelled. She has a good family and friends network around her which really helps.

Before Derek and Bette received their awful news, I knew that Derek was painting the garden shed with blue outdoor paint.

When Derek had passed, I had a blue planter made and inscripted with words that I thought best described Derek, and sent it to Bette.

Last spring/summer, Bette sent me a lovely picture of the planter filled with her choice of plants.

This year, Bette has sent me another picture, which I'm sure Derek would approve of.

Druk-Sunshine.jpg

Look after yourself, Bette. x

Long may the memory of Derek live on for those that he touched with his intelligent, warm, mischievous and humorous brilliance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom