Druk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I dont know what to say reading this, I've written a few things then deleted it.
Although I do want to say thankyou for being so open about this with us all. I have been umming and aahing the last few days about whether to do/enter certain competitions this year, worrying over nothing. Im going to do them all because we are only here once and your post has made me realise that the time we have here is precious and we should just go for it and not waste a moment! Reality check for me. Your a very brave man and I wish you and your family all the best. Natacha x

Derek, I was out last night when we exchanged our brief messages, and I had planned on calling you today. Your latest post has completely thrown me. I know from our previous conversations that it was always going to be thus, but I had hoped that you would be around for while yet. Please, whoever, that you will be, but not if you are suffering unnecessarily given your circumstances. After my pathetic attempt to read your last post out to Sharon earlier, we are both deeply saddened and upset to learn of your accelerated condition, and our thoughts are with you and Bette.

You are probably exhausted after being in transit today, especially if it wasn’t in a Mercedes, so let me know when you are rested if you fancy a chat. It’s clear that the posts here speak volumes about you as a person, and justifiably so. You are a one off, and I am in tears.

Reactions: 219
It takes huge courage, not only in writing but, facing up to what appears to be a certain outcome. I lacked that courage when I lost my beloved Esther to a brain tumour 27 months ago. Whilst Derek and Bette, as well as several other Forum members knew of her passing, I was in no position to broadcast the news further.

I still wish it had been me just as, I suspect, Derek is relieved it is not Bette. I am not aware of any recently widowed Forum members and whilst all these messages are heartfelt and sincere, no-one can possibly know the pain of losing a spouse until they have experienced that loss themselves.

Derek, please let Bette know that I would be happy to listen at any time, should she wish.

Meanwhile – from happier times...

Esther, Bette, Lawrence, Derek.jpg
Esther, Bette, Lawrence and Derek. Stirling 2010

Moffat 14122014.jpg
L - Druk, R - me, Middle - Bette and Esther. Moffat, 14 December 2014. Esther passed away on 15 December 2015.

Yours Aye, Derek.

Derek it’s so incredibly sad to read this :( my thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

Can't really add anything further to what's been said - more echo really.

It takes courage to post up something like this so all credit to you.

Unfortunately when I read the fourth line in your main paragraph, my heart sank. It's a journey I've watched twice before and I will forever think the worst sadly.

I don't know you personally but for the time you've been a moderator, you've always been a decent and fair person.

I can only hope, as I have done previously for my own family members affected, that you continue for a long time to come and ideally long surpassing expectations.

I doubt that will be easy and require enormous courage and much spirit, but from what little I know of you, I suspect you are someone who can muster this.

All the best Derek - my thoughts are with you.

Derek, I'm sorry to hear that things have moved so rapidly. I hope you're as comfortable as possible in the time remaining. Look after yourself.

Best,

Gaz

Truly sorry to hear your shocking news.

Really sad to read your latest news Derek. It's really inspiring the way you are taking this dreadful setback and facing reality with humour, and all the while thinking of others.

I hope you can remain comfortable and stay with us for a while longer. Best wishes to you.

Derek,

I'm deeply saddened to read this thread and my heart goes out to you and your family. It must have taken a huge amount of courage to write about your condition and I'm very saddened by it and what sounds like the inevitable outcome :(

From a complete stranger, so sorry your journey has taken this turn
I hope you see all your loved ones before you leave

It's obvious you will be missed and remembered.....

Thank you for everything you have done on here in this oasis of little, insignificant matters that help so many take a pause from real life

Wow this is so tough.....we have had a blast for over 20 years buddy, gonna miss you so much but cannot write any more on here. See you soon...

Derek, I too am deeply saddened at the speed this seems to be progressing at . You have my utmost respect for the way you are coping with this .

I know there is nothing I can say or do that will make any practical difference to you , but if there is anything practical I can do to help Bette after the inevitable, please let me know . I’m sure I’m not alone in that sentiment.

I can’t begin to imagine what you must be going through, but glad you seem to be getting all the support humanly possible.

I read your post this morning about 6:00 and I haven’t stopped thinking about you ever since Derek, I was going to reply then but I just couldn’t (and still can’t) find the words to say other than a quote from Bruce Lee that keeps going round my head - “The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering” and you’ve certainly done that my friend, you’ve certainly done that.

You’re a good man Derek and someone I’m lucky enough to class as a friend, I really just don’t know what else to say, I’m just so lost for words, other than; don’t let the bastard grind you down, if there’s anyone that can stick two fingers up to it, it’s you my good man!

Derek,

Thanks for the update and all the best to your family for the future...we used a "fine fleet of Mercs" yesterday for my father's last journey.

I'm glad you're getting the best care possible from the wonderful Marie Curie whom we also used yesterday to look after my fil whilst we were out all day.

All the very best.

Ciaran
Sorry to hear that Ciarán.

Druk be strong my friend , my little Tomas still got the hat u gave him 4 years ago my thoughts will be with you .

Sat moping yesterday because they had removed the spare side table I’d purloined to take all my gubbins. Then got a visit from D18 who, btw, makes the most delicious rock buns. Sometime a couple of hours later there was this rumble and he re-appeared with this. Used to be his mums apparently but now deffo mine.
Every cloud has a silver lining.
Hahaha. 306FCA5C-5C34-4245-ABED-92508CFDEA3C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom