Druk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thinking of you Derek. All the best for a positive future.

Hello Derek, although we do not know each other, the community spirit on this forum makes it feel like a family. I am sorry to hear of your ordeal and I feel for you. As others have said, it's all about keeping positive, focusing on getting better.

I'm currently recovering from bowel cancer, having been lucky enough to be diagnosed early enough that I do not need chemo. What often gets pushed aside is the effort to work your life around trying to get the bowels to work properly and on a routine basis but you get used to it. I did not know whether I would need chemo at the time or how I would be able to handle it but I just stayed positive and focused on getting better.

It's team work. You do your part, the doctors do theirs, and the family provide their support. Together you pull through. It's good news that you have a consultant who is already on the case and knows your background.

Bless both of you. Best wishes.
Jay

Sorry to hear your bad news, hope you are fighting fit as soon as you can be.

Derek , truly sorry to hear your news .

Anything I can do to help , please phone .

Very sorry to hear Derek :(

Thank you, Derek, for having the courage to make the initial post - I'm not sure I would want to communicate with the world and his dog in the way that you have, because I think I would more than likely be too upset and fragile and perhaps view other things as more important.

The facility of the once-used forum thanks button would be very appropriate here, so that members could thank you for your courage in posting and also acknowledge your services as a moderator and ultimately as a smashing fella that brings valuable information and sunshine to MBClub and beyond. How could anyone "Like" your post? :/

At the risk of stating the obvious, this is an awful thing for Derek and Bette to deal with.
Testimony to Derek's unselfish nature, his worries lie less about himself, but more about how Bette will cope...

I would like to thank those that have travelled to visit Derek and Bette, particularly Ray who has flown there on several occasions, because these visits have fortified Derek and Bette. Also, on behalf of Derek and Bette, many thanks for the lovely, appreciative and supportive posts from MBClub members.

I don't know of any man as popular, and with so may friends as Derek, but there's a reason for this.

The last thing I want to do, is to inflame this thread, but why hasn't there been a contribution from the moderators/admin to this thread on the forum?
If not some sort of moderator/administrator camaraderie, just a "Chin up and call me if you need me, mate" would have been nice to see in appreciation of a favourite forum member that has dedicated time - now a very precious commodity - in valuable contributions and sensible policing of MBClub.

All the best Mr and Mrs Sunshine, who in the past, have always brightened my day.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your illness Derek,be positive and lets have you back kicking our backsides.

Thank you, Derek, for having the courage to make the initial post - I'm not sure I would want to communicate with the world and his dog in the way that you have, because I think I would more than likely be too upset and fragile and perhaps view other things as more important.

The facility of the once-used forum thanks button would be very appropriate here, so that members could thank you for your courage in posting and also acknowledge your services as a moderator and ultimately as a smashing fella that brings valuable information and sunshine to MBClub and beyond. How could anyone "Like" your post? :/

At the risk of stating the obvious, this is an awful thing for Derek and Bette to deal with.
Testimony to Derek's unselfish nature, his worries lie less about himself, but more about how Bette will cope...

I would like to thank those that have travelled to visit Derek and Bette, particularly Ray who has flown there on several occasions, because these visits have fortified Derek and Bette. Also, on behalf of Derek and Bette, many thanks for the lovely, appreciative and supportive posts from MBClub members.

I don't know of any man as popular, and with so may friends as Derek, but there's a reason for this.

The last thing I want to do, is to inflame this thread, but why hasn't there been a contribution from the moderators/admin to this thread on the forum?
If not some sort of moderator/administrator camaraderie, just a "Chin up and call me if you need me, mate" would have been nice to see in appreciation of a favourite forum member that has dedicated time - now a very precious commodity - in valuable contributions and sensible policing of MBClub.

All the best Mr and Mrs Sunshine, who in the past, have always brightened my day.

Great post Paul many thanks..... and I know that Derek, when he is not sleeping has called you for a chat in the middle of the night, and I know he really appreciates you being there for him.

Great post Paul many thanks..... and I know that Derek, when he is not sleeping has called you for a chat in the middle of the night, and I know he really appreciates you being there for him.

+1 :thumb:

T

Perhaps because some people prefer to communicate in private for this sort of thing.

This is a decent and civilised place - the efforts of Derek and the mods are instrumental in keeping it that way.

I have never met Derek but have interacted on the forums and the odd private message - and frankly was surprised by how shocked and upset I was at seeing his post. And my first instinct is not to use the thread. I suspect others including the mods may be the same.

Dryce, as I said earlier, the last thing I want to do is inflame this thread, so I'll refrain from commenting on your observations, which I'm sure were made with good intentions.

If I may.....and not to preach. ;^) We all deal with these matters in our own unique fashion, there being absolutely no right or wrong. I personally admire Derek for having the courage to sit and write his post. That takes balls of steel and an inner strength that can be incredibly hard to drag up. It (for me) exemplifies Derek the man, the person and the friend. I am sure that others will find their own way of expressing their thoughts & feelings.

Last edited:
Derek looking at the number of posts for this you are obviously held in high esteem by other members.

I almost felt guilty at not adding to the post.

All the best for the future, I am sure the number and quality of the posts here are giving you some comfort.

All the best for the future

If I may.....and not to preach. ;^) We all deal with these matters in our own unique fashion, there being absolutely no right or wrong. I personally admire Derek for having the courage to sit and write his post. That takes balls of steel and an inner strength that can be incredibly hard to drag up. It (for me) exemplifies Derek the man, the person and the friend. I am sure that others will find their own way of expressing their thoughts & feelings.

Yep, Derek is one of the most straight-forward and honest guys I have ever spoken too. Truly a great guy, with good morals. Hard to find someone like him :thumb:

Been sat here an hour now and still can’t find the words to properly express my feelings, so just to say that my thoughts and sincere best wishes are with you and your family.

I've meant to comment here for a while now though I still have no words to express my sentiments really, certainly not as eloquently as many here have done.

All I can say Derek, is that my thoughts are with you and your family.

Derek,
Very sad / sorry to hear this. I'm sure you've had lots of advice but a positive mind is a strong thing if you can get there!
Best Wishes
Richard

From Liz and I our deepest respect to you and yours. Our lives continue to be enriched from just knowing you and yours.

If you need anything from Lancashire way, just shout.

I don't know you personally but have greatly appreciated your work for this forum togethyer with your knowledgeable posts.
Deeply sorry to hear of your diagnosis and hope for the best for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom