Druk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am not very good at expressing myself in response to your initial post but I would like to send my best wishes to you Derek.

It was some years ago if you remember, that I sent to you my duff engine wiring harness from my W124 for you fettle and make good. Since then, I have made a point to read most of your posts. All the very best to you.

I don't know you personally but have greatly appreciated your work for this forum togethyer with your knowledgeable posts.
Deeply sorry to hear of your diagnosis and hope for the best for you.

I'd echo these words. It's always a few people who work selflessly to keep sites like these going and help create the great atmosphere. So thanks for all that and good luck in your fight.

Gentlemen.

Firstly, my sincere apologies for time it has taken for me to reply to this thread. My wife and i would like to thank you all for the kind words and support voiced in all your replies. Having read and re-read them many times we are both deeply moved by all the kindness and sentiment expressed. My humble thanks also to the many PM's I have recd and also failed miserably to answer, sorry.
Sadly, I am now moved to the Marie Curie Hospice at Fairmilehead in Edinburgh, the Western hospital having done all they can in the progression of the disease. The reason I'm back on here is that I am on 'day release' to home and feel much more comfortable typing a long-winded reply on the big computer rather than on an iPad propped up in bed.
To cut a long story short the main tumour has now spread to my peritoneum from where it can seemingly cause untold damage...sometimes at very short notice........or not!. So today I had the somewhat weird sensation of discussing my future demise with an Undertaker and Humanist Celebrant. At least I've got a fine fleet of Mercs laid on. Couldn't possiblly have my final journey in a Ford or Jag. Oh no-no-no. There's nothing particularly brave in this, just facing reality and taking the load off the missus.
Happily the environment and nursing staff at the Hospice are on a completely different level to the NHS so life has a large degree of comfort to it. Private room overlooking the garden with as much nursing care as a man can realistically stand. Not something I could have written about last week. I now wear a 'man bag' dragging round a medication pump on a tube, a big improvement on 20 pills a day. I have to get back to the Hospice by 1000hrs Friday to get this pump refreshed or I'll turn into the proverbial pumpkin.

So, bye-bye for now and thank-you all again for the kindness.

Derek.

We've not met but I have read & enjoyed many of your posts. It hurts to read this thread but I'm sure it pales into insignificance as to the hurt you & your family are feeling & going through.

It's a cliche but it seems bad things happen to good guys more often than they should. I don't know if statistically this is the case & possibly it's not. It is just that I care only about the good guys so maybe my mind is focussed & more drawn to these.

I admire your courage & strength to be transparent with your illness. Of course we all deal with things in different so cannot & should not ever judge. I am glad we talk about these things more openly now in the more modern (in some ways!) society we live in today. I am not sure it is good to bottle this stuff up or try & deal with it on your own. Don't be too proud to ask for help. It has taken me many years to learn this & I'm still not there yet myself!

Be selfish & use all and any resources you can when you need them to help you have the strength, courage & motivation to fight this illness. I'm a firm believer in mind over matter (to a point of course) so strength of mind is massively important to allow that strength to follow into your matter.

I have no idea how I could help but please feel free to drop me a line if you feel I can help in any way. It really doesn't matter what it is.

I wish you all the very best & hope that things work out for the better. I am learning that life can be fickle but is also a marathon. You are only at half distance so plenty of juice in the tank yet. Keep well & strong.

Derek,

I haven't known you for very long, but I am friends with some of yours, and I have followed your story here.

I can't imagine how it is to be in your position, but I'm glad you've the provisions to still be in touch with remote friends, many of which might be via digital connection only and of course many not. Some people are so quick to diminish online friends as not real friends (in my experience at least), but what do they know...

You're clearly, from everything I've heard a, remarkable man. While I know you wouldn't be queueing to buy me a pint, I hope you'd accept one from me.

I can only hope for the very best for you and your family and please keep hold of your tablet, as it's your extension to your wider network of friends, wherever they may be.

All the best,

I have never read anything like that before, you are a brave man DRUK, must seem silly all our little grips.

I assume you are at peace, thoughts are very much with you and the family.

Will you send us a message from the other side...? :):)

Reactions: 219
I cannot find the words,faced with your news,my mind has gone into shutdown,from your post you are dealing with your illness with the same firm and fair attitude you have shown us over the years,you will be missed,I am so sorry you illness has progressed further.

Reactions: 219
Druk, we have never met, nor even crossed swords on the forum, but I'm saddened to hear that the tumour has spread. I offer you my sympathy, and my huge respect for the way you are dealing with this. You are a fine example of the traditional British spirit in adversity; no point in moping about as that will change nothing, so just get on and deal with it as best one can.

Will you send us a message from the other side...? :):)

He always has done; he lives in Scotland...:D

Not a lot I can say after that, but you and your family are in my thoughts, Derek.

Thanks for the huge effort to make that post Derek. As Mike said keep your iPad with you and please use your phone anytime.

Words fail me Derek.

You are a remarkable and courageous man.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Derek,

Thanks for the update and all the best to your family for the future...we used a "fine fleet of Mercs" yesterday for my father's last journey.

I'm glad you're getting the best care possible from the wonderful Marie Curie whom we also used yesterday to look after my fil whilst we were out all day.

All the very best.

Ciaran

You are a very brave man indeed!!!!! I don't know you but love to you and your family. ioweddie

Dismayed Derek to hear of this latest stage of your journey. I had hoped it might not have come quite so soon. You could ask for no better companions on that journey than the Marie Curie organisation. My thoughts are with you and the family.

Last edited:
Derek.

My sincere thanks for taking the time to let us know about the latest developments. As others have said it takes a brave and noble spirit to share such details with, in many cases a group of relative strangers. I hope that by doing so it has brought you a little peace and comfort.

Having never met you I can only form my opinion of your character from your posts and that opinion is a very high one indeed.

David

I hope that this isn't seen as inappropriate or too glum but I was reminded of this poem when reading DRUK's last post:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Derek. Please know that we are all thinking of you and yours and extending a huge virtual hug. Xx

If it it helps. I write this from my room in London Bridge Hospital having just had my pre meds and awaiting the trolley for surgery.
594970f6b0ba3947c3ad84fc9b03d033.jpg
. The socks are provided.. honest. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek, like many in this forum, though we may have traded posts from time to time, we have never met each other. My loss I think. It's very clear that you have played a major role in getting the forum to where it is and are by all accounts a thoroughly nice chap.

Having lost both of my parents and more recently two very close friends to cancer one of whom succumbed to complications whilst under treatment for mesothelioma asbestosis, I believe I have some insight into your situation and understand some of what you're going through.

Your integrity and personal courage have been shining like beacons in these pages. My thoughts and best wishes are with you and yours in this most difficult time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom