Druk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Derek,

My thoughts are with you, best wishes.
Steve.

Discovered they had just installed a Jacuzzi disabled bath system so decided quite late last night to avail myself of this fine facility. Strange plastic thing with a fold-down side which looks strangely like one of those old fashioned wicker bath chairs. So you strip off, naked as a jaybird, and climb into this thing tilted forward at 45 deg but with no water in it.
Then the nurse closes the door and you lie back and wait. Now the interesting bit...The machine is controlled by a multi-choice keypad thingy. Press button A and it starts to fill. Now you have to decide which button to use to tilt it or the water starts to slop over the low end and onto the floor. Push button B and nursie gets soaked by the jet of water from the sprayhead on a stick. Don't know if this is an intended part of the therapy but it sure works. Button C starts to tilt the thing back and you lie there until it's full at which point button E starts the bubbles and the coloured lights. Perfect.
After a half hour of this luxury nurse returns, switches off the bubbles and opens the drain. Deciding the since C tilted it fwd then D must tilt it back; which worked except that it tilted faster than the drain could cope and the water started to slop out of the end again. In small panic press button B by mistake and soak other nurse who had come in to help. What fun. Eventually empty and with the door down get dried and retire to bed thoroughly entertained.

Moral of the story?

RTFI.

Little did he know - there was a webcam hidden in the corner, disguised as a clock!

Overnight internet sensation to rival the Pamela Anderson, Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian tapes!

Derek, just seen this. Thoughts and prayers......

Amazingly, Derek hasn't lost his sense of humour, even in this trying time that he and Bette are facing.

We both have the same bluetooth headset. One of these. LINK.
They're great and leave your hands free whilst on the blower.

Derek says that the earpieces pick up background noise.

So, last Sunday we were chatting as I was preparing a meal in the kitchen.
He heard the noise of me getting some onions out of a plastic bag, and in no uncertain terms, he let me know he could hear the noise!

As quietly as I could, I started to peel and chop the onions.

"You can't hear me chopping the onions can you, Derek?"

"Hear yae? You're makin' ma feckin eyes water, lad!"

I'll never forget that and think I'll always chuckle when it comes to mind. :)

Hello all. This is Stewart, Derek's stepson. Sadly, I have to let you know that Derek passed away last night just before 11pm. Derek knew he was dying some weeks ago and as part of his final arrangements asked me to come on here and let everyone know how much he and my mum Bette have appreciated the messages that have been posted. They have both taken great comfort by all the kind words from so many people who he regarded as such good friends. Last Saturday was his and Bette's anniversary and we are grateful that he was fit enough to be able to go out for a meal with the family and friends. Sadly, he deteriorated quite quickly after that and was not able to leave the hospice again. i know how much he enjoyed being part of this forum and the wider Mercedes family. Thank you all. Druk.

Oh how I wish there was a thank rather than like button, as I most assuredly do not like hearing such sad, sad news. Thank you Stewart for letting us know, I am very sorry for your loss. Derek was a great guy and the world, let alone this community, is so much poorer for his passing. My condolences to Bette and you all.

My condolences to Bette and you all.

How we shall miss the man. His character, knowledge and most of all friendship, that he extended to all who needed help. He fought this fight with such courage, humour and grace. An inspiration to us all. Our thoughts and love, go out to Bette & Stewart and all Derek's family. XXX

Bruce, Carol, Róisín & Molly.

Damn ...
My deepest condolences Stewart, to you and the family

Bye Derek, rest in peace

what a shock, so soon :(

Condolences to his family.

Rest in Peace Derek, My condolences to you Stewart and your family.

God bless you Derek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom