Druk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm glad so many of you were able to attend Derek's funeral yesterday. Unfortunately I was unable to, but I received a text yesterday morning from Stewart, Derek's stepson, who used Derek's phone to send it, which gave me quite a start!

Here's the great man in a Brucie pose. RIP, Derek.

P7210098cr.jpg

Is that Bournemouth?

Just re-read some PMs from him - can't believe it's happened.

I'm glad so many of you were able to attend Derek's funeral yesterday. Unfortunately I was unable to, but I received a text yesterday morning from Stewart, Derek's stepson, who used Derek's phone to send it, which gave me quite a start!

Here's the great man in a Brucie pose. RIP, Derek.

View attachment 75757
Is that not just how every Scot starts the day? :)

Strange how the weather was that bad in Livingston,but driving through to Glasgow the snow turned to rain and was pretty clear. We went to Uphall but left around 5.30pm it was still snowing then.
I have to say the brand new Toyota Aygo we hired, was the most gutless car I have ever driven, wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

For a proud Scotsman, here is my tribute to Derek and I hope it would be yours.
A Lone Piper, and "Going Home".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Steve

Folks. Thanks for all the posts. Just wanted to thank all for the very generous donations for the Marie Curie charity who looked after Derek in his final days. He was very appreciative of the service and would be so proud to hear that his collection for them has raised £1350. Mum will be sending the money off to them tomorrow and just wanted me to express her thanks to everyone on here.

I just wanted to add my personal thanks to all those who attended the funeral in difficult circumstances. But also to those who couldn’t make it in person but who have sent personal messages to mum and me. They are very much appreciated.

Kind regards.
Stewart (Bette’s son)

I haven't stopped thinking about Derek this week, in fact I watched "Sunshine on Leith" again. The film is based around the Proclaimers music if you haven't seen it.
Derek and Bette went to the cinema to see it and said "you gotta see it Ray some great shots of Edinburgh". I really just wanted to bump this thread up again to remind us all.

I haven't stopped thinking about Derek this week, in fact I watched "Sunshine on Leith" again. The film is based around the Proclaimers music if you haven't seen it.
Derek and Bette went to the cinema to see it and said "you gotta see it Ray some great shots of Edinburgh". I really just wanted to bump this thread up again to remind us all.

That’s uncanny Ray. Mrs Ant, daughter and myself watched ‘Sunshine On Leith’ (for the 100th time) on Thursday. Great feel good film indeed. :)

Thank for the update, the film is brilliant (Especially me being a Scot), Best wishes to Bette and family!

Well I have returned from a long holiday to the news that DRUK is no longer with us,to me it all seems to have happened very quickly,I only met the man once at Benz on the Green,seeing his name tag I was rash enough to say "so your the scottish enforcer" he said aye laddie I have my eye on you, all said with a smile or at least I think it was a smile,what I nice man he was ,if I remember right he came down and would make it into a holiday staying in a local hotel,reading a few of the posts through my jet lag Derek was held in the highest esteem,by everyone,a very big loss to the club and his family.

I've been away from the forum and MB forums in general for a couple of years now and only found out about Derek's passing thismorning. I wasnt in touch with him for past couple of years, but I met with him several times, at his home, he came to mine and also at MB club events - he was kind enough to help me with some car work on my W124s and 107 with the use of his ramps, and even lending me his tools. He helped me sort my SL roof and gave advice just after I purchased it. Also enjoyed our scottish get togethers at the pubs. A big loss to the whole MB community. My condolences to Bette and the rest of his family.

There's a long and detailed pictorial thread on the build on the official Mercedes-Benz-Club forum about the car. [ sorry members only I think :(] It covered just how much re-engineering was required to convert the car to turbo diesel power including ----fabricating a new engine sump, new engine mountings, new clutch mechanism, getrag 5speed manual gearbox, a re-engineered front subframe, new propshaft differential and halfshafts,new exhaust, extensive rustproofing sound deadening and retrimming, replating of all brackets and fasteners- a true labour of love with only the best engineering. In other words a unique car a bit like the man himself.
Don't know if the build detail was duplicated here or not? If so maybe someone can post a link to it??
L162.001.jpg

L162.012.jpg

I spoke to Derek on the morning the car was being collecting by the seller, who is doing so on behalf of Derek at his request.

The dealer that is selling is a good friend of Derek's (and mine) He is selling it at no profit for him at all. All the proceeds from the sale are all going to Bette (Derek's Wife). Someone will have a very interesting car there, very sad to see it for sale...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom