Drunk driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 AMG Line Premium Plus. W205
About 4 weeks ago we had a little incident outside our house.About 2.30am we had a knock at the front door,I went to investigate and saw it was the police who went on to tell me they had arrested a drunk driver who had knocked down our front garden wall,much to my amazement as I never heard a thing:eek: Anyway after a follow up call from them the next day and another one a couple of days later I was given the details of the driver where she lived etc. etc. for insurance purposes.After that I thought that was it and I wouldn't hear any more of it.Well how wrong was I.After getting back from my hols today we had a letter from Staffordshire police saying they had successfully prosecuted the driver and went on to say they had fined her £3500 plus costs banned for 28 months and licence endorsed.:bannana: :bannana: Staffordshire is a little safer now that another drunk driver is off the road.

Thats a very good ban and fine- Obviously quite a high earner I expect.

I was very happy recently when a drink-driver I caught was finally sentenced. He had been stringing it out for ages on technicalities (Never denying he was drunk, but claiming to have thought he was drinking non-alcoholic wine or some tripe).

My colleague and I attended court 3 times, and he managed to delay the case by almost a year.

Magistrates were obviously not impressed with delaying tactics and have now banned him for 3 years!! Not hugely over limit either. Result.

And who pays for the repair to your wall?

they had fined her £3500 plus costs banned for 28 months and licence endorsed.:bannana: :bannana: Staffordshire is a little safer now that another drunk driver is off the road.

Brilliant!
And well deservrd.
I sincereley hope her insurance premiums keep her off the road for a bit longer.

And who pays for the repair to your wall?

Took the words out of my mouth........

That's the tricky one, I have rang my home insurance company and told them what happened, they say its ok as long as I get 2 quotes for the repair
and forward it onto them before I get it repaired.The problem I am getting now is because its an insurance job its finding a builder who will come and look at the wall and submit a quote.I have had at least 4 builders look at it but will not submit a quote in writing:mad: I think it has something to do with them not wanting to pay tax or something on a job that will only pay them about £1k.Catch 22 me thinks.Cant get the money till have a quote,cant get the wall repaired till I get the money.

As I thought, basically your insurance for something that you didn't do which in turn means us as it will contribute to premiums going up. :mad: :mad:

The cost should have been included on her fine/costs she was given in court. So while she's got an appropriate penalty for her driving conviction, she's got away scott free with this cost. You might want to think about taking her to a small claims court. The fact she was prosecuted for the drink driving would make it highly likely you would get the costs for the repair awarded against her.

As I thought, basically your insurance for something that you didn't do which in turn means us as it will contribute to premiums going up. :mad: :mad:

The cost should have been included on her fine/costs she was given in court. So while she's got an appropriate penalty for her driving conviction, she's got away scott free with this cost. You might want to think about taking her to a small claims court. The fact she was prosecuted for the drink driving would make it highly likely you would get the costs for the repair awarded against her.

Agreed agreed agreed agreed.......

There was a "victim surcharge" as well on top of all the other costs
£15

A bit laughable I'd say even if I don't know exactly what it means.

I would have thought her car insurance should be paying for the repairs to the wall..Even if her insurance is void because she was drunk, that cannot remove the insurance company's liability to you for damage sustained through their clients drinking.

I was once also woken by a neighbour. A drunk had driven into my car and was trying to drive off. He made it about twenty metres as his car was b*ggered. The cops were soon there but I don't know what happened.
Not long afterwards, on a Sunday afternoon there was an almighty crash from the front. Not my car but a person over the road. A man got out and argued with my neighbour. He was staggering drunk and so I called the Police. After telling my neighbour in crude terms what he thought of her he went to get back in the car. I told him that he could not leave as the accident had been reported and teh police would soon arrive. Wrong tactic, I should have kept him talking. He jumped in his car and drove off. About 30 seconds later the police arrived but we did have all the details and they were off. Later in the afternoon they came back to thank us and say that they had caught him. Again, I don't know what happened but I guess it was not a slapped wrist.

I would have thought her car insurance should be paying for the repairs to the wall..Even if her insurance is void because she was drunk, that cannot remove the insurance company's liability to you for damage sustained through their clients drinking.
That's what I'm hoping,My insurance company have her details now and when I can get a builder to fix my wall they say they will claim it back through the drivers insurance.

That's what I'm hoping,My insurance company have her details now and when I can get a builder to fix my wall they say they will claim it back through the drivers insurance.

I had some buildings damage in the last lot of storms....it didn't amount to much but I decided to claim rather than play that well know variation of russian roulette called find a builder! Have to say the Ins Co (Abbey National)came up trumps. Allocated the claim to Surveyor who in turn arranged a builder. All I had to do was pay my excess and sign the job off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom