Dry Steering, is it a problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JGMercedes

I know you're probably all thinking "what an idiot" but I only ask this because my w205 does some insane and fast dry steering when it's auto parking. I'm a persistent dry steerer due to habit so am wondering whether it is harmful or not. Thanks!

If it does it on it's own, then the components must be strong enough to deal with it.

I quickly flick from lock to lock while stationary all the time, it just makes the most of your turning circle in tight spots. So you can do 3 point turns where others are doing 5 and 7 point turns thinking their rack will snap if they turn the wheel while not moving.

I would say cumulatively damaging. Stressing steering components aside, it scrubs tyres and increases the risk of grinding something sharp into or damaging them as opposed to moving the point of contact whilst keeping them rolling, if only a little, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Perhaps the auto-park is be signed to wear out components so you have the joy of paying to replace them.

I'm sure that the dealer is quite happy though…

Meldrew2 said:
Perhaps the auto-park is be signed to wear out components so you have the joy of paying to replace them. I'm sure that the dealer is quite happy though… .

Helpful, am not keeping it beyond 3-4 years anyway so not my problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom