Drying aids....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dr-Nab

MB Enthusiast
Car
B8.5 S5 Coupe 430hp/520nm
Here's a quick question for all those who professionally detail cars, or just those who have a go at detailing their own.

What drying aids do you use and why?

Now by drying aids I mean to help the water bead and dry the car.

Normally I spray a quick detailer - meg's last touch or speed detailer on then use a clean towel to dry it all off, then use another towel to buff if needed. Recently bought a bottle of Dodo Juice time to dry; didn't really read in to it so much but the instructions say to spray on then pat dry the car, then buff dry - did this today and it took an absolute age.

Which method would anyone recommend? Personally I can't see the difference!

Thanks in advance!

Nab

Your drying aid is your last touch, or quick detailer.

It would say pat the car dry as it is the safer way to avoid any marring or scratches when drying and it does take a lot longer. What car did you do this on? Your white E cabrio? The marks are so fine and small that you'll never see them on a white car if you swipe dry. Black on the other hand is a pain as it shows up every little mark.

I use Autoglym rapid detailer or Megs last touch.

I'd recommend patting dry and so will every other detailer but if you're happy with swiping then do that!

They just help to leave the car water mark or streak free.

I get the worst off with a leaf blower which gets in all nooks and crannies.

Then I will just dry with a microfibre towel and finish off after with a a quick detailer.

Yep leaf blower works, neighbours will think you're bonkers though!

Can buy dedicated drying machines like the black baron(expensive) and silverline used to do a hand held one.

Leaf blower, what an idea! I haven't used mine for a long while though will try that next time.

Yeah it's on the E-Cab, think I'll pat it dry from now on.. even if it does take a while longer. Not put any polish on it yet, it's currently sat in the garage because I can't be bothered after the patting down :D

Have you tried polishing the car wet? apply the polish with your hand and you dry the car with the wax.

I haven't tried that, only other thing I do when it's wet is spray qd or last touch on and clay it if it needs it otherwise I dry it off then polish it then wax.

oh and large microfibre towels from asda, about £6 i think

Im also not keen on drying aids. I towel dry all cars and then finish them off with a warm air blower. For optimum results clay the paint after you have dryed and then use ipa to remove all residue and silicons from your paintwork. this will leave a truly clean finish and ready for a pre wax cleaner and then onto your wax or sealant of choice. Good times!

I like the idea of a leaf blower or a pro blower/dryer, but surely if you blow all this high pressure air around particles of grit and c##p from the ground fly up and onto the bodywork which you then wipe down with a towel or microfibre??? Surely that must be bad and cause scratching?

Had a nostalgic flashback there IPA, India Pale Ale brewed by Brickwoods I think. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom