Drying the car ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CaTcH21

and man the water that get left in between the door mouldings/beadings it is so damn annoying. Just when i think i have the car nice and dry the next day i see water marks. I try my hardest to towel dry the car but its such an effort :crazy:

Does everyone have this problem ?

You may think I'm crazy, but I have a feeling I'm not alone in using a petrol powered leaf blower to blow dry my car and get the water outta those annoying crevices.

My neighbours would think I'm stark raving crazy but I dont have any so it dont matter much!!

jimmy said:
You may think I'm crazy, but I have a feeling I'm not alone in using a petrol powered leaf blower to blow dry my car and get the water outta those annoying crevices.

My neighbours would think I'm stark raving crazy but I dont have any so it dont matter much!!

Aha! You are not alone.

Electric one in my case but damn useful because it is so easy to get most of the water off the paint surfaces as well as out of all those nooks & crannies.

Anyway, the accursed car washes have huge blowers so what is the problem with a DIY version?

Excellent !

I just bought me one, never thought of it but thank you for your tip !

I always just use a can off 'Dust-Off' compressed air, direct it along the mouldings and it blows out all of the water.

RichardM said:
I always just use a can off 'Dust-Off' compressed air, direct it along the mouldings and it blows out all of the water.

thanks for this idea !

Instead of 'blowing it out', which usually results in blowing some 'further in', why not a wet and dry vac?, on a lowish setting, with a crevice attachment like I use?.

It gets ALL the water out of my cracks and crevices ( :eek: ) and its always streak free afterwards. :D

Portzy.

portzy said:
Instead of 'blowing it out', which usually results in blowing some 'further in', why not a wet and dry vac?, on a lowish setting, with a crevice attachment like I use?.

It gets ALL the water out of my cracks and crevices ( :eek: ) and its always streak free afterwards. :D

Portzy.

ok thats a great idea BUT i think most blowers dont just blow,They can vacuum too, am i right [guys with blowers]??

CaTcH21 said:
ok thats a great idea BUT i think most blowers dont just blow,They can vacuum too, am i right [guys with blowers]??

Yes, I know, but ideally you need something with, how can I put this?, delicate suction? :eek: :) . You dont want to cause too much of a partial vaccuum behind the rubbing strips or trim. I am thinking: negative pressure in door cavities and the like and the effect on speaker diaphragms and the clingfilmy vapour barrier, or am I being over cautious?

Portzy.

I am really surprised at the amount of water that collects and I have a horrible feeling that the mobilo-life warranty is going to take another big hit over this issue.

It's okay suggesting blowers, vacuum cleaners, blast of air etc. but what happens when the car is away from these facilities. The water is trapped under these sills, so it must surely be a rust trap, just waiting to happen?

Regards,
John the worrier

portzy said:
Yes, I know, but ideally you need something with, how can I put this?, delicate suction? :eek: :) . You dont want to cause too much of a partial vaccuum behind the rubbing strips or trim. I am thinking: negative pressure in door cavities and the like and the effect on speaker diaphragms and the clingfilmy vapour barrier, or am I being over cautious?

Portzy.

Not sure, i would think you being a little over cautious :)

I have my Golf 3 VR6 for 11 years and i havent been too particular with water dripping after drying and i havent really noticed any rustiness in any hidden spots where i dont dry at all. BUT im in S.A and my weather is good all year round so i cant compare to you guys.

My Christmas present

Solved this problem with this years Goldfish Car Care Christmas present.

I got an Oreck XL vacuum cleaner. http://www.oreck.co.uk/products/list.ouk/handheld

It will apparently pick up a bowling ball. The reason I got this is because you can plug the hose onto the air outlet to form a blower. I wizz around the car along the trim bits and it blows out all the water. Then I give it a once over with the microfibre drying towl.

Problem solved.

I have also heard you can get a similiar result with a leaf blower :D .

My neighbours do think im mad - every sunday morning having cleaned and dried the easiest areas i can be observed 'kissing' my car ...... ok ok so i cant afford a blower hehehe but i eradicate most water and get a cardio workout!! hehhe :p :bannana:

Best thing about my Oreck is you can open the doors and pretend you are vacuuming it. Then quickly give all the trim a blow. Neighbours think I am mad anyway but at least this looks slightly more explanable :D

hehehe the worst bit for me is the bonnet badge on my car...... it is a flat circular badge - no star on mine - and i have to put my lips around it to get the water out and give it a good blow.......... god it sounds even worse now!!! it genuinely looks like i am kissing the bonnet.... i cringe every time but its got to be done!

syfaphonetic said:
hehehe the worst bit for me is the bonnet badge on my car...... it is a flat circular badge - no star on mine - and i have to put my lips around it to get the water out and give it a good blow.......... god it sounds even worse now!!! it genuinely looks like i am kissing the bonnet.... i cringe every time but its got to be done!

Trust me i would do the same , and i'd be proud of it, hehe

:0 am proud - nearly bankrupt owning a merc though but still get a little embarrassed lol..... u looking to buy a merc? already have one? just curious matey

syfaphonetic said:
:0 am proud - nearly bankrupt owning a merc though but still get a little embarrassed lol..... u looking to buy a merc? already have one? just curious matey

This is my baby brand new out of the box !! Im luving it !

Attachments

• 107_0717.jpg
    107_0717.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 35
stunning matey - alloys suit it down to the ground - colour beautiful ( pig to look after though ehehehe :crazy:

bet you r chuffed as nuts ;)

portzy said:

Portzy.

Thats exactly what i used to do when i was a valeter. Very effective and you dont have to leather the streaks of water off, like you would have to if you blew it out. It saves a lot of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom