Dual Fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
What do you guys thinks of having a car converted to run on LPG?

Apparently a dual fuel car will be 100% exempt from the Congestion Tax, oops i mean Charge.

I have been quoted £2000 to convert my SL500, although this is alot of money, the tax will cost £1200 per year. and i could save alot on petrol costs. So would probably recover my money in a year.

Will it effect the performance, reliability or value of the car?

Any views will be much appreciated.

Tan

Many people will tell you it dosnet effect the performance.

It does!!!!

Ive driven a dozen or so LPG converted cars, normally V8's and they all seem kind-of gutless, especially when hitting kick-down.

Reliability as far as i know will be the same.

Dont know what an LPG car is like selling on.

HTH;)

You cant use the Eurotunnel with an LPG converted car, because of the high numbers of bad installations.

I have heard stats like 9 out of 10 LPG conversions are dangerously fitted.....:crazy:

Have a look at the powershift website for a reputable installer, and maybe a contribution toward the costs.

why not buy a 190 D to run about in and keep the sl500 for the weekends if the fuel is a problem ?

Originally posted by fuzzer
why not buy a 190 D to run about in and keep the sl500 for the weekends if the fuel is a problem ?

Once you drive a car like that, then it's hard to drive anything else.

Originally posted by Tan
Will it effect the performance, reliability or value of the car?

From what I read, the performance difference is barely noticeable on any car with more than about a 2 litre engine.

Reliability is slightly unknown because it's not been around long enough to know for certain, although I have read that it makes your engine run a little hotter, which could cause all kinds of issues after a few years.

Value of the car is also unknown, I don't know if I would buy an aftermarket LPG converted car, if it was a factory installed system from new then I suppose it'd be fine, but now I've heard stories about dodgy aftermarket places I'm not so sure, lets face it LPG is kinda explosive so you're basically driving a bomb. I think value very much depends on the car too of course, some cars go well with LPG (like rep-mobile vectras and mondeos) whereas flagship performance roadsters...?

A mate of mine has had a V12 Jag converted - and you dont feel the difference - until you go to fill it up.

There is about a 10-12% difference in power output on LPG because it has a lower calorific value, but it burns in exactly the same way as petrol. Therefore if you have a 180/200 - you will notice a difference. With a 230K and possibly even a 300 it will be a lot less noticable. Once you get out to 3.5-6.0 litres - it will be hard to use the available power anyway, and you would struggle to notice the difference !

LPG also gives fewer MPG than petrol - but again its about 10%. If you do enough miles in a big car, then its worth looking at LPG.

If you do big miles and have to drive into London everyday, etc then I would say go for it !!

BTW - LPG has an octane rating of 110 - so you can screw a load more advance out of the engine and TURBOS are less likely to detonate !

If you intend to drive hard all the time - stick to petrol, if like me you use 100% of your cars performance less than 1% of the time - the LPG is a sensible and economically viable option, - if you are prepared to lose the storage space in the boot/spare wheel well.

My SL is currently using £50-60 a week in petrol, This means that at my present rate of consumption I could save anywhere from £1400 -£1800 this year !! - if I was subject to congestion charging as well - I wouldnt hesitate.

My only concern is that the SL already has a small enough boot, and I like to have a full size spare rather than a tin of tyre weld !!

Mark

Just thought about that - If I didnt have a spare - AA would get me home anyway :)

Thanks Guys,

I still dont know, friends have suggested the second car option, but i couldn'y handle the 4 hours a day that i spend commuting in another car. Plus it would be a waste of money paying for the SL if i only drove it at weekends.

the boot space is an issue that i have to look into. One of my bosses has an slk with some inflatable spare wheel thing that may be an option.

In general the cost of petrol; wasn't my biggest concern, i really object to paying that congestion tax.

However on paper, with the petrol savings, around £100 per month and the tax saving again a £100 a month could save me £2400 a year thus i would break even after 10 months.

I need to find someone that has converted an MB 500, there must be some Chauffers out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom