Ducktails

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

talbir

MB Enthusiast
Here's a link to some sneak pics of the original w124 ducktail I recently fitted to my black w124 500E.

Crappy camera i took the pics with, to make matters worse the sun decided to shine galore.

Fitting though that my white AMG SEC was parked alongside which has the original w126 ducktail fitted but blended in, an idea i got from a US member who had a w124 CE AMG done by US Chicago AMG outlet and apparently they always blended in the ducktail. Decided against doing that on my 500e, as it's too rare to be changing contours of panels on !

I also fitted some original Hella 'Heckblende' tail light pieces on the 500E...appreciate these won't be to everyone's liking but i like them a lot and fortunately got some new pieces. Anyway, they are only stick on items and can come off without any damage anytime. For me they soften the rear nicely, too much black without !

I'll try and take some more quality pics and add.....need to invest in a decent camera !

cheers
talbir

Ducktails pictures by talbir - Photobucket

Last edited:
When is the engine going on Talbir?

Still in LA....just haven't found time to ship it over yet !

My rear garage is having a new tiled floor done with underfloor heating so once complete i can spend my winter evenings finishing all these projects !

PS email me your address so i can ship you that Lorinser piece.

cheers
talbir

You 'll easily get away without blending in with the black--looks fine. :thumb: A lighter metallic finish might be a different story. :dk:

Fitting though that my white AMG SEC was parked alongside which has the original w126 ducktail fitted but blended in, an idea i got from a US member who had a w124 CE AMG done by US Chicago AMG outlet and apparently they always blended in the ducktail. Decided against doing that on my 500e, as it's too rare to be changing contours of panels on !

Talbir

AMG Central USA, Westmont Illinois, did not blend in the standard AMG polyurethane ducktail on the 124 builds.
In fact that they fabricated a sheetmetal ducktail which was welded and blended to the body.
Trying to blend a PU or fiberglass ducktail is possible but eventually will exhibit cracking in the filler where the dissimilar materials join.
Make take many years to do so, but it's inevitable...

Ed A.

P.S.

Actually appreciate the original Hella 'Heckblende' tail light pieces ..
They were a common period aftermarket upgrade....
I had one on my 1988 300CE from new as it was a dealer installed option at the time...

Last edited:
Talbir

AMG Central USA, Westmont Illinois, did not blend in the standard AMG polyurethane ducktail on the 124 builds.
In fact that they fabricated a sheetmetal ducktail which was welded and blended to the body.
Trying to blend a PU or fiberglass ducktail is possible but eventually will exhibit cracking in the filler where the dissimilar materials join.
Make take many years to do so, but it's inevitable...

Ed A.

P.S.

Actually appreciate the original Hella 'Heckblende' tail light pieces ..
They were a common period aftermarket upgrade....
I had one on my 1988 300CE from new as it was a dealer installed option at the time...

thanks Ed

couldn't remember which AMG outlet it was....yes inevitable that the PU join will show up one day, but 3.5 years now of exposure to British winters and summers with the car being my wife's daily driver....not a sign of any issue. I reckon it's looking good for good ! A good job by my bodyshop.

yes, i luv the Hella pieces too...fitted the more common one to my 5.6 Hammer...the one that runs the length of the rear panel and bolts on via the number plate holes.

cheers
talbir

love the spoiler, not so sure about the lights.. but then you and I have different tastes in lamps!

I am looking forward to seeing that new garage, looks lovely.

P.s. the o/s/r tyre is fitted in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
thanks Ed

couldn't remember which AMG outlet it was....yes inevitable that the PU join will show up one day, but 3.5 years now of exposure to British winters and summers with the car being my wife's daily driver....not a sign of any issue. I reckon it's looking good for good ! A good job by my bodyshop.

yes, i luv the Hella pieces too...fitted the more common one to my 5.6 Hammer...the one that runs the length of the rear panel and bolts on via the number plate holes.

cheers
talbir

Talbir...

Her is a pic of one of the sheetmetal ducktails done by Westmont.
It's on the first USA 6.0L Hammer build in 1987.
Notice that the sheet metal taper falls short of the tail light leading edge..
The PU tapers to the leading edge matching the angle of the tail light !

AMG-MercedesBenz-300e-W124-hammer-spoiler.jpg

I picked up a very accurate C124 knockoff spoiler in fiberglass for my C124 widebody build...
Considering using it as a "buck" to fabricate a sheet metal piece like Westmont did...:thumb:
Cheers
Ed

Last edited:
love the spoiler, not so sure about the lights.. but then you and I have different tastes in lamps!

I am looking forward to seeing that new garage, looks lovely.

P.s. the o/s/r tyre is fitted in the wrong direction.

cheers Jay

Blimey, hadn't noticed the rear wheels...must have them both the wrong side ! I had been planning to MOT it, it's been parked up inside my rear garage for a year. Good spot ! I'll swap the rear wheels around before i set off on Sat morning for the MOT!

I'm usually looking out for that every time i fit wheels, but must have been in a silly hurry !

thanks again
t

Talbir...

Her is a pic of one of the sheetmetal ducktails done by Westmont.
It's on the first USA 6.0L Hammer build in 1987.
Notice that the sheet metal taper falls short of the tail light leading edge..
The PU tapers to the leading edge matching the angle of the tail light !

AMG-MercedesBenz-300e-W124-hammer-spoiler.jpg

I picked up a very accurate C124 knockoff spoiler in fiberglass for my C124 widebody build...
Considering using it as a "buck" to fabricate a sheet metal piece like Westmont did...:thumb:
Cheers
Ed

Wow, that metal ducktail is indeed a piece of art...yep i see how it is metal with essentially no change in contour to taillight...super craftsmanship.

Although i was equally impressed with my bodyshop guys and how they blended in the w126 PU ducktail...perfet work too.

I love these ducktails....would love to fit one on my r129 to complete the set, but problem is my 129 is a Lorinser outfit....would be misplaced with an AMG ducktail.

thanks
talbir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom